New recruit...2nd chances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 2897

Not found guilty does not equal innocent...

Correct. That's why I said innocent under the law. One of the other issues was stating the kid showed no remorse, when he actually did. This thread is a fecal tornado storm.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Correct. That's why I said innocent under the law. One of the other issues was stating the kid showed no remorse, when he actually did. This thread is a fecal tornado storm.
"Fecal Tornado Storm"
Classic description.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
I wonder how we all would feel if he sacked Philip Lawrence on the last play to win the game on August 29th. I know, that's far-fetched. :)

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
You're too old to be so clueless about the legal system we live in. After going thru the legal process that he did and come out with the ruling that he got...why on earth would anyone say "I'm sorry - I'm guilty even though I wasn't charged!"? That'd be incredibly stupid and a thumb to the eye of the courts.

The kid made a mistake and appears ready to make up for it. Prosecutors agree.

PJ is no longer the coach. You really need to let it go.

Talk about ignorance. Dang dude. He likely got this break for being a first time offender. Good for him. Not appearing to owning it and bragging about the break he got as some kind of exoneration. Bad on him.

I’m gonna refrain from actually responding to every comment back at me. When I reply consistently to talks gripes I get accused of ranting.

:ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:

There is definitely a new vibe from our fan base this year. Maybe it’s win at all costs. Maybe it’s just consistent apologists for anything and everything the current staff and administration is doing. But it’s a new vibe and it’s not the same new vibe coming from Morpheus.

Deleted member 2897

Talk about ignorance. Dang dude. He likely got this break for being a first time offender. Good for him. Not appearing to owning it and bragging about the break he got as some kind of exoneration. Bad on him.

I’m gonna refrain from actually responding to every comment back at me. When I reply consistently to talks gripes I get accused of ranting.

:ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:

There is definitely a new vibe from our fan base this year. Maybe it’s win at all costs. Maybe it’s just consistent apologists for anything and everything the current staff and administration is doing. But it’s a new vibe and it’s not the same new vibe coming from Morpheus.

How is this not owning it and how is this bragging about the break he got:
"As for everything it took to get here, I knew I messed up, but I was in denial at first. Then, I got to jail, and people were telling me my offers were gone, and that I messed up big time. That one thing could have drastically changed the layout of my entire life.

I thank God everyday for a second chance, and to be able to do it at this level. I'm still mad (at myself) for what I did, but I am glad at the same time, that I learned the lessons I did."

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
If you are referring to those whose favorite coach is CPJ, then count me in, but I am also willing to give a kid a chance who was never officially charged in the matter. If he had been charged, I might think differently, and if he had been convicted and put on probation, then I wouldn't want him at all.

This was a plea deal, not an acquittal. If he commits another crime or fails to do the community service he agreed to (which is laughably easy to complete and get often successfully skirted around.....they may choose to indict.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
This appears to be a one off mistake by this kid. That is why a second chance is appropriate in this case. However, I sure hope we pass on kids that have a history of poor decisions with the law. That is where poor character starts to show itself.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
How is this not owning it and how is this bragging about the break he got:
"As for everything it took to get here, I knew I messed up, but I was in denial at first. Then, I got to jail, and people were telling me my offers were gone, and that I messed up big time. That one thing could have drastically changed the layout of my entire life.

I thank God everyday for a second chance, and to be able to do it at this level. I'm still mad (at myself) for what I did, but I am glad at the same time, that I learned the lessons I did."

That quote wasn’t in the article that I posted that I recall. That’s a better message. But conflicts with the more recent statements in the AJC. Feel free to link to those quotes. Helps shed more light.

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
I wonder how everyone would feel if he broke into their car and stole their property.

Well I actually live in Atlanta (not a suburb), so a car getting broken into is fairly common. If i discovered that the kid who broke into my car later got into one of the best engineering schools in the world, I'd be pretty happy he got a second chance and turned his life around. Generally these kids who find themselves on a path of petty crime end up graduating to big boy stuff after a year in the clink or getting shuffled through our criminal (not justice) system.

In short, if his story was told without the football scholarship, I can't imagine anyone wouldn't look at that as a good thing. Throw in the football portion, and I guess people think he doesn't deserve it? Weird.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
First off he isn't innocent. They reached a deal to avoid charges being pressed. There was never a chance for him to be deemed innocent or guilty. As far as the public perception goes, where there is no innocent until proven guilty, he did it. He admitted he messed up. Acting like he didn't do it is disingenuous.

As far as offering someone with that kind of thing, that decision is on the coaches. If he gets in more trouble then the coaches are responsible for taking in someone with red flags. Personally I would have passed but ultimately that decision is on the coaches. He wouldn't be the first nor the only kid with that type of thing that made it into GT.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
It’s not hypocrisy. I draw a pretty big distinction between MJ use and breaking and entering / theft. Context matters my friend.
Seek help and learn to forgive. And stop judging people you don't know. All you do is find an article you don't like and take it as gospel. Trust the new coaching staff who have talked to the player to know what they are doing.

Last edited:

GoGATech

Jolly Good Fellow
That quote wasn’t in the article that I posted that I recall. That’s a better message. But conflicts with the more recent statements in the AJC. Feel free to link to those quotes. Helps shed more light.
You're basing the entirety of your opinion on one AJC article and one tweet. The above article was on a pay site and the interview was recently conducted. AJC is also the only place I'm seeing any report of a "plea deal" scenario. From what I understand, the items were all returned and the charges dropped. When charges are dropped there is no "plea" to make nor any "deal" to take.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I don’t see anyone assuming innocence other than as a legal issue. What 99% are doing is accepting that he made some kind of mistake, has paid a penalty and, in the opinion of our coaches and others who were also recruiting him, worthy of a second chance. What could possibly be wrong with that? What that 1% are saying evidently is that an 18yo kid should lose his future over a mistake. Or am I reading you wrong ?

The other thing people are taking from this and other threads is that you and maybe WC have decided that you are 100% against the new staff and everything they are trying to do. I would suggest you could save a lot of time in future by simply replaying “YKWIT” (you know what I think) in any thread you want and we will in fact all know what you would have typed. That being whatever is the worst assumption anyone can make about the issue at hand.

Blatantly false. I’ve been critical of the Key hire, moving games to MBS, and over-signing. Three things. But any time anything critical is said on any matter you and others falsely claim some idiotic anti CGC bias that doesn’t exist. It’s simply dishonest mud slinging on your part in an attempt to discredit.

Back on topic now.

Fact- the kid committed a crime.
Fact- he got busted and arrested
Fact- he agreed to enter a diversion and do community service to avoid prosecution.

That’s his second chance. And I’m glad for him that he got it. But he and his mom made statements that can reasonably be construed and minimizing what occurred and the severity of it. Those statements raise a red flag imo. Other statements may help assuage any concern and all are welcome to have their own opinions.

I personally see this as a gamble by our staff.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

Assume u are 100% right then post= the trigger for Fecal Tornado Storm.[/QUOTE]

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
This thread is pretty silly for a lot of reasons. If the additional quotes are accurate, the context does make it seem like generally a good kid who made a mistake and has shown remorse. With that context, I am good with the coaches giving him a second chance.

That said, folks who are saying he is both innocent and has shown remorse are also silly. He can’t be both. If he is innocent, he should have no reason to be remorseful. If he was guilty and put into a diversion program instead of receiving a criminal conviction, then he is guilty and has shown remorse. Either way, I am good with it but agree with the short leash. I hope he stays clean and works out great for himself and Tech.

Animal02

Banned
First off he isn't innocent. They reached a deal to avoid charges being pressed. There was never a chance for him to be deemed innocent or guilty. As far as the public perception goes, where there is no innocent until proven guilty, he did it. He admitted he messed up. Acting like he didn't do it is disingenuous.

As far as offering someone with that kind of thing, that decision is on the coaches. If he gets in more trouble then the coaches are responsible for taking in someone with red flags. Personally I would have passed but ultimately that decision is on the coaches. He wouldn't be the first nor the only kid with that type of thing that made it into GT.
Too bad reasonable voices like your one on this board have become such a rare commodity.

GoGATech

Jolly Good Fellow
Blatantly false. I’ve been critical of the Key hire, moving games to MBS, and over-signing. Three things. But any time anything critical is said on any matter you and others falsely claim some idiotic anti CGC bias that doesn’t exist. It’s simply dishonest mud slinging on your part in an attempt to discredit.

Back on topic now.

Fact- he agreed to enter a diversion and do community service to avoid prosecution.

That’s his second chance. And I’m glad for him that he got it. But he and his mom made statements that can reasonably be construed and minimizing what occurred and the severity of it. Those statements raise a red flag imo. Other statements may help assuage any concern and all are welcome to have their own opinions.

Again

Back on topic now.

Again, lets not forget too what was brought up earlier. If this deal did in fact take place, there is very much a reason to take the deal instead of taking the chance on going to trial and have a jury decide the outcome. If he was with a group that did this, he could be charged in court whether he actually played a part or not. Safest to take that deal even if just guilty by assosiation.

Status
Not open for further replies.