New recruit...2nd chances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Animal02

Banned
Again

Again, lets not forget too what was brought up earlier. If this deal did in fact take place, there is very much a reason to take the deal instead of taking the chance on going to trial and have a jury decide the outcome. If he was with a group that did this, he could be charged in court whether he actually played a part or not. Safest to take that deal even if just guilty by assosiation.
Wow........the spinning is comical........Might as well say "he was framed" :rolleyes:

Deleted member 2897

That quote wasn’t in the article that I posted that I recall. That’s a better message. But conflicts with the more recent statements in the AJC. Feel free to link to those quotes. Helps shed more light.

That's the thing - especially with the AJC - we should always be careful (especially with a sensitive topic like this) to assume that any particular news outlet got it all covered.
https://georgiatech.rivals.com/news/long-road-for-young-leads-to-collins-atlanta-and-georgia-tech

Deleted member 2897

First off he isn't innocent. They reached a deal to avoid charges being pressed. There was never a chance for him to be deemed innocent or guilty. As far as the public perception goes, where there is no innocent until proven guilty, he did it. He admitted he messed up. Acting like he didn't do it is disingenuous.

He may have acted like that earlier in the process, and it may have been at the request of his lawyer. I have no idea. But his latest statements don't match with that assertion I put in bold.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Blatantly false. I’ve been critical of the Key hire, moving games to MBS, and over-signing. Three things. But any time anything critical is said on any matter you and others falsely claim some idiotic anti CGC bias that doesn’t exist. It’s simply dishonest mud slinging on your part in an attempt to discredit.

Back on topic now.

Fact- the kid committed a crime.
Fact- he got busted and arrested
Fact- he agreed to enter a diversion and do community service to avoid prosecution.

That’s his second chance. And I’m glad for him that he got it. But he and his mom made statements that can reasonably be construed and minimizing what occurred and the severity of it. Those statements raise a red flag imo. Other statements may help assuage any concern and all are welcome to have their own opinions.

I personally see this as a gamble by our staff.
Notice I said maybe about you. Sure it’s a gamble but every player you sign is a gamble. At least this kid knows he has a short leash.

Deleted member 2897

So is bank robbery, auto theft.......are we supposed to look the other way?

What if he murdered someone but the charges were dropped? What if he were a gang rapist, but they didn't end up having enough evidence to prosecute? What other outlandish hypotheticals might we come up with? How can we prove he is not a terrorist?

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
KQ will be ok to disprove @Whiskey_Clear agenda

Man, I am feeling good right now. After they offered me, I had to make sure everything was in order. Once I did that, and got out there to visit, it was done. It (the decision) was really a no-brainer. I like it up there a lot. The campus is nice, and I like the weight room too. I'll be spending a lot of time in there.

Georgia Tech is going to put me in the best position for me to succeed when I get down there, regardless of what position it is on the field.

As for everything it took to get here, I knew I messed up, but I was in denial at first. Then, I got to jail, and people were telling me my offers were gone, and that I messed up big time. That one thing could have drastically changed the layout of my entire life.

I thank God everyday for a second chance, and to be able to do it at this level. I'm still mad (at myself) for what I did, but I am glad at the same time, that I learned the lessons I did.

GT is about to have somebody with a serious chip on their shoulder coming into the program.

I'll report June 2nd, and I plan on studying Business Administration when I get there.

Animal02

Banned
What if he murdered someone but the charges were dropped? What if he were a gang rapist, but they didn't end up having enough evidence to prosecute? What other outlandish hypotheticals might we come up with? How can we prove he is not a terrorist?
Does not follow......it was made in response to "It is a property crime" like theft is no big deal.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Two posters have decided to make this place gross.

It’s just a revelation to some who have sat on their GT high-horse for a long time from not wanting their Degree devalued to laughing at GT nemesis UGA, not understanding we are all cut from the same cloth. It is really a gut punch to those who think this is a CGC thing instead of a GT thing. GT has been a home of 2nd, 3rd, and 4th chances to many that are successful in world and will continue to be.

I’m probably more shocked by @lv20gt stance than the others

Last edited:

iopjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
First off he isn't innocent. They reached a deal to avoid charges being pressed. There was never a chance for him to be deemed innocent or guilty. As far as the public perception goes, where there is no innocent until proven guilty, he did it. He admitted he messed up. Acting like he didn't do it is disingenuous.

As far as offering someone with that kind of thing, that decision is on the coaches. If he gets in more trouble then the coaches are responsible for taking in someone with red flags. Personally I would have passed but ultimately that decision is on the coaches. He wouldn't be the first nor the only kid with that type of thing that made it into GT.

I agree that he committed a crime. The coaches evaluated the situation and decided to give him a second change. We all know very little about how repentant he is and how his life will turn out. Coach Collins and AD Stansbury are laying their judgement and reputation on the line. As a Tech fan and alumnus I hope everything works out well.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I really hope we don't have a player someone claims he picked his nose , or we may need to drop football. ( yes I know the is dumb but so is judging someone you don't know have not talked to do it )

Status
Not open for further replies.