New recruit...2nd chances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
The kid made a mistake. Christ, we all have at some point. It’s not like he had a sexual assault charge against him. Let’s get off the high horse **** and accept the kid and hope he learned from his mistake!

I don't want to keep writing "poster X just has an agenda"

Is it agenda'ing...agendering...agending...?! If it's not a word, we should just adopt it in appropriate instances, because I have a feeling we're going to use it a LOT around here.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
So to sum up your position....praise is welcomed but criticism requires a certain level of care. Still trying to figure out if you in fact tolerate any criticism....or only your own....or only criticism you agree with....
I loved CPJ as our coach but at times I was critical if him. I like CGC and have no reason not to at this time. But if you read what you said about a player I feel up when overboard. If you want to criticize our recruiting that is fine but to name that player and his mother is going too far. As far as how much criticism I can take I guess a lot I'm on here and I know what some people think. I really don't have anything against you I know like me you love Tech and have been a season ticket holder like me. I just see no need to talk bad or imply bad things about a player.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Some of yall have me speechless, swear there’s 3-4 of yall who purposely troll the board every day.

It is absolutely trolling, whether it's intentional trolling or the OP actually thinks this character-defaming nonsense is worthy of discussion. I speak to the rest of the board here and this is the last time I'll look at this thread. Stop feeding them and they will starve. Peace out.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I loved CPJ as our coach but at times I was critical if him. I like CGC and have no reason not to at this time. But if you read what you said about a player I feel up when overboard. If you want to criticize our recruiting that is fine but to name that player and his mother is going too far. As far as how much criticism I can take I guess a lot I'm on here and I know what some people think. I really don't have anything against you I know like me you love Tech and have been a season ticket holder like me. I just see no need to talk bad or imply bad things about a player.

The ajc named him and quoted them. Take your complaint to the ajc.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

Is it agenda'ing...agendering...agending...?! If it's not a word, we should just adopt it in appropriate instances, because I have a feeling we're going to use it a LOT around here.
Waste of time - to reply to the obvious 2 .

Go to the gt football account, to the gt twitter for coach Collins etc , buy an account to athletic . Get content and be happy.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer

“I’m a Ramblin’ Wreck from Georgia Tech, and a hell of an Agend-gineer!”

Animal02

Banned
The kid made a mistake. Christ, we all have at some point. It’s not like he had a sexual assault charge against him. Let’s get off the high horse **** and accept the kid and hope he learned from his mistake!
It is not that he made a mistake, it was the way the AJC article described both he and his mother saying he wasn't charged......i.e he was innocent, and not accepting responsibility for what he did. Apparently there is a separate article behind a pay wall that gives a different viewpoint. It is not being on a high horse either. IF, someone overlooks petty theft and hand waves it away, by would violating NCAA rules be much different?

Animal02

Banned
It is absolutely trolling, whether it's intentional trolling or the OP actually thinks this character-defaming nonsense is worthy of discussion. I speak to the rest of the board here and this is the last time I'll look at this thread. Stop feeding them and they will starve. Peace out.
Anther wanna be moderator chimes in. :rolleyes:

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
Just b/c of the topic Im going to explain the "Deferred Prosecution Program"

Some call it Pre Trial Diversion Program.

All are not designed exactly the same and qualifiers vary by prosecuting office but, You are generally eligible for PDP if you don't have a lengthy criminal history and are young. Its designed to prevent young people from getting criminal records in their youth which eventually prevent them from being productive citizens in their "wiser" years.

PDP is offered, usually during an early stage hearing and IF ACCEPTED BY THE ACCUSED, the charges are held (NOT FILED) until the completion of the program (or not). The accused has to pay an entry fee and take some kind of educational class (in this case most likely an anti theft class), they also have to pay restitution to the victim. Once the conditions have been met on the front end, the accused has to stay out of trouble for a specified period or the charges can be reinstated (within the statute of limitations).

These programs were specifically developed for young people. It is factually accurate to say they don't have or weren't convicted but they agree to return the money or monetary value of the items stolen so it's a non official tacit admission of guilt in reality. The only difference between this program and a "no contest" plea is that the plea goes on your criminal history deferment doesn't.

The accused can claim innocence and make statements to that fact b/c they were never "convicted", an admission is not mandatory to get into the program BUT if you agree to repay the victim you are kinda admitting that you did take their stuff.

As far as this situation goes, I don't know this guys criminal record. If he has an extensive juvenile history deferment could be a problem if he has no other incidents at all then the program is made for him and others like him.

I personally think the best outcome for someone who takes the program is to just remain silent. They got a break. They did go through "the system" and the system gave them a break by not prosecuting. I would also point out that in most cases the victims are consulted before the accused actually enters this program. If victims don't want this application of "justice" then they usually object.

So my point,

We don't know his criminal history
We can assume the victim was agreeable with this approach
He paid the victim back
Tech is giving him a chance.

I have a feeling if he isn't worthy of the chances he is getting we will hear of more stupidity, if he is then it's over.

I don't think the true debate is about the kid, I think it's about the program itself, whether its applied equally, if it's a money grab by prosecutors and if there are set standards from community to community (which there aren't) are all factors as to the function of the deferment program .

Status
Not open for further replies.