New Movies

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I got through 15 min of The Irishman and couldn’t take it anymore, I’ll watch the Indiana Tennessee game instead. Wtf was Scorsese thinking, how embarrassing. The cgi is meant to make De Niro and Pesci, who are ****ing EIGHTY years old, look like they’re in their 30’s and it’s supposed to be believable for us viewers. Easily the dumbest, most embarrassing moment of Scorsese’s career. He was already washed but this may be the nail in the coffin. Makes me afraid of Uncut Gems now as he was loosely associated with that as well.
If you want to smoke a couple bowls and make fun of how literally stupid a movie production is then this is the ticket as a viewer.

That makes his uppity comments about Marvel movies and how movies that don't show in theaters shouldn't be allowed to win awards seem ridiculous...which it was.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
If you want to watch a romcom with your lady, or just like funny movies overall, check out The Long Shot with Seth Rogan and Charlize Theron. There's other big stars in it as well. I was pleasantly surprised at how good and funny it was.

Was in the theaters early this year and now streaming on HBO.

Milwaukee

Banned
That makes his uppity comments about Marvel movies and how movies that don't show in theaters shouldn't be allowed to win awards seem ridiculous...which it was.

Marvel just announced they are doing a movie with a trans character. I don’t watch Marvel crap but interesting to see the responses.

Milwaukee

Banned
If you want to watch a romcom with your lady, or just like funny movies overall, check out The Long Shot with Seth Rogan and Charlize Theron. There's other big stars in it as well. I was pleasantly surprised at how good and funny it was.

Was in the theaters early this year and now streaming on HBO.

I didn’t mind it either.
Caught Long Shot tonight. Heres the gist of it: cliche rom-com, cheesy, predictable, unrealistic, etc. But I laughed MY A$$ off often throughout.

Worth a watch in your downtime.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Marvel just announced they are doing a movie with a trans character. I don’t watch Marvel crap but interesting to see the responses.

Marvel has definitely taken some stuff too far. I'm all about equality and and representing society equally, but Marvel seems to be pandering a lot lately.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Marvel has definitely taken some stuff too far. I'm all about equality and and representing society equally, but Marvel seems to be pandering a lot lately.

Marvel has a pretty long history of being inclusive, including Northstar of Alpha Flight coming out as gay in 1992, followed by his same-sex marriage in 2012 (first in comics history).

Hard to call this pandering, as much as the next instance of inclusion by Marvel.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Marvel has a pretty long history of being inclusive, including Northstar of Alpha Flight coming out as gay in 1992, followed by his same-sex marriage in 2012 (first in comics history).

Hard to call this pandering, as much as the next instance of inclusion by Marvel.

Going to have to respectfully disagree. The "all women's" attack scene in Endgame was the very definition of pandering. The discussion of an all women's Avengers movie, now dismissed, was pandering.

Marvel indeed does have a history of inclusion and venturing into territory others are not willing to...as does all other comic based companies. That has been the strength of that domain since I can remember picking up comic books. However, you compare early Marvel movies to the last few years in the age of #MeToo and LBGTQ movement and the tone and features characters have shifted. Some of it is for the better and accurate representation of the source material, but a good part lately is definitely pandering.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Going to have to respectfully disagree. The "all women's" attack scene in Endgame was the very definition of pandering. The discussion of an all women's Avengers movie, now dismissed, was pandering.

Marvel indeed does have a history of inclusion and venturing into territory others are not willing to...as does all other comic based companies. That has been the strength of that domain since I can remember picking up comic books. However, you compare early Marvel movies to the last few years in the age of #MeToo and LBGTQ movement and the tone and features characters have shifted. Some of it is for the better and accurate representation of the source material, but a good part lately is definitely pandering.

I sorta agree with you both. Iiuc, the comic genre was kinda meant to 'push the envelope' of what's "accepted" socially or w/e. However, the latest iterations have felt a bit pander-y.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Or trying to capture part of the fastest growing segment of comic book readers (women) and getting rid of stigmas such as...

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Or trying to capture part of the fastest growing segment of comic book readers (women) and getting rid of stigmas such as...

However you want to paint it, it's still pandering. in this case, pandering for a payoff. It's why you see more Asians in big movies these days...pandering to the Chinese and other Asian countries that are quickly becoming the world's biggest economic movers.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
However you want to paint it, it's still pandering. in this case, pandering for a payoff. It's why you see more Asians in big movies these days...pandering to the Chinese and other Asian countries that are quickly becoming the world's biggest economic movers.

I guess I'm ok with pandering to other demos after being pandered to my entire life by the film industry. I'm ok with others getting a turn.

Jacketman

Jolly Good Fellow
“A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood.”
You will laugh, you will cry, you will learn something new, you will leave the Theatre a better person. We need more Fred Rogers’ in this world!
Yep, this was a fantastic movie. Anyone seen Richard Jewell yet? I'm very excited for it.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
I love Eastwood, even the bad ones. Waiting for Jewell on second run, since it didn’t come to the first run houses nearest to me. Studio Movie Grill does 5$ Tuesday(all day/night), just FYI.

Looking forward to Uncut Gems.

DTM 1997, summed up my thoughts perfectly on Long Shots.

If you need a film to put her in the mood that has an R rating or less....buy a copy of
A Star is Born(Cooper, Gaga, version). It will get her each time, and you will enjoy it too. A real rom com drama. Mine was 17$, back near the beginning of last year.

Milwaukee

Banned
Yep, this was a fantastic movie. Anyone seen Richard Jewell yet? I'm very excited for it.

Didn’t love it. I’d watch it on HBO or something but not worth a trip to theater.

Saw Richard Jewell this afternoon. Another Clint Eastwood letdown like The Mule and Gran Torino; cliché after cliché after cliché. You can see everything coming in each scene from a mile away. Rockwell killed it as usual, he's so good in everything. Hamm was so-so, Bates was pretty solid. Cool movie overall, I'd recommend only if you have some downtime.