New Movies

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
You’re probably right. I didn’t watch previews, I walked in expecting the Joker to be the Joker and not some weak dork that let people pick on him better yet make that the premise of the 90 minutes of waste. I was expecting so much more from Todd Phillips.

That's basically who The Joker was in his quintessential, modern day origin story, The Killing Joke, which absolutely influences this movie.

In The Killing Joke, before he became The Joker, he was a weak dork & flailing comedian who ends up having one bad day.

It's probably time for me to re-read it.

Milwaukee

Banned
That's basically who The Joker was in his quintessential, modern day origin story, The Killing Joke, which absolutely influences this movie.

In The Killing Joke, before he became The Joker, he was a weak dork & flailing comedian who ends up having one bad day.

It's probably time for me to re-read it.

Again, you're probably right. Heath set the bar so high for awesome Joker that I will probably always be let down. And I'm a huge Joaquin Phoenix fan. But that was 90 minutes of boring trash.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Again, you're probably right. Heath set the bar so high for awesome Joker that I will probably always be let down. And I'm a huge Joaquin Phoenix fan. But that was 90 minutes of boring trash.

Your goal appears to have been to see some supervillain action. If that was the goal, your disappointment is understandable.

It was pretty sparse of action except for some moments.

That said, this might result in checking the previews next time. There were never any expectations of the action I think you're looking for.

You may want to do that ahead of this one, because I've got no idea what to expect.

Milwaukee

Banned
Saw Richard Jewell this afternoon. Another Clint Eastwood letdown like The Mule and Gran Torino; cliché after cliché after cliché. You can see everything coming in each scene from a mile away. Rockwell killed it as usual, he's so good in everything. Hamm was so-so, Bates was pretty solid. Cool movie overall, I'd recommend only if you have some downtime.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I saw Midway a few weeks ago and it was a really good movie. There were some scenes that seemed unnecessary, but I liked how it went through all of the lead up events and then went full action with the battle of Midway.

I plan to see 1917 when it comes out too. The trailer looks fantastic.

Milwaukee

Banned
I saw Midway a few weeks ago and it was a really good movie. There were some scenes that seemed unnecessary, but I liked how it went through all of the lead up events and then went full action with the battle of Midway.

I plan to see 1917 when it comes out too. The trailer looks fantastic.

Saw the 1917 preview at the theater today and it's a definite no go for me, but please let us know how it is. Saw a preview for The Gentlemen and I'm really looking forward to that. Big Guy Ritchie fan here, the movie and cast look AMAZING.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Saw the 1917 preview at the theater today and it's a definite no go for me, but please let us know how it is. Saw a preview for The Gentlemen and I'm really looking forward to that. Big Guy Ritchie fan here, the movie and cast look AMAZING.

Still waiting for the RockNRolla sequel.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Midway, was well done.
The 2nd movie of the day, The Good Liar, has more twists than a pretzel. I guessed the first couple of turns, although the “why” was the biggest surprise. Enough said. See it.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Only the 2nd time? You've got work to do to catch up.

Spoilers - don't watch this explanation of life if you haven't seen Layer Cake.

Layercake is extremely underrated. British crime dramas/comedies overall are extremely underrated.

Lockstock and Two Smoking Barrels is another good "British Caper Classic" if you will. It seems like Guy Ritchie will forever chase the magic of that film and never quite reach it. Snatch was basically re-imagining of Lockstock with high profile stars.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Layercake is extremely underrated. British crime dramas/comedies overall are extremely underrated.

Lockstock and Two Smoking Barrels is another good "British Caper Classic" if you will. It seems like Guy Ritchie will forever chase the magic of that film and never quite reach it. Snatch was basically re-imagining of Lockstock with high profile stars.

Yes, but to be fair, Snatch was great too, although, not better than Lock Stock.

RockNRolla was the least of the bunch, but still very enjoyable.

Sidenote - everyone knows Ritchie didn't do Later Cake, right?

Milwaukee

Banned
My local theater is showing Christmas Vacation late night this month. What are some of your favorite Xmas movies? I love Will Ferrell, but Elf is one of the dumbest movies of all time and you will be shunned for listing it as a great Xmas movie.

1. Christmas Vacation
2. Home Alone
3. Scrooged
4. A Christmas Story

THWG

Helluva Engineer
My local theater is showing Christmas Vacation late night this month. What are some of your favorite Xmas movies? I love Will Ferrell, but Elf is one of the dumbest movies of all time and you will be shunned for listing it as a great Xmas movie.

1. Christmas Vacation
2. Home Alone
3. Scrooged
4. A Christmas Story
1. Christmas Vacation
2. Home Alone
3. Elf
4. The Santa Clause
5. A Christmas Carol

C'mon man, Elf is an awesome movie!

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Topic: Die Hard is a great Christmas movie.

Discuss.

Side note - I'm at an old haunt and my buddy just reminded me that Die Hard 2, Gremlins, and Trading Places are also Christmas movies.