New Hires........so far.

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
I think we drop BC and add WF w Hartman ( i think he returns- but he had real bad reaction when Pitt kicked ***(.
We faced 5 orx6 of top 25 qbs.
Next year has to be easier

Back to Hires.
What mKes us think the secondary is Not GOING TO SUCK.
We got snake bit on opposing quality receivers/quarterbacks (Va., Pitt, Miami, UNC, Ga. ND, BC…etc.)which didn’t help the secondary…

When you hit rock bottom the only way out is up, so looking forward to Tillman’s guidance and improvements!

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
I am hoping we still hire a new DC. I just can't imagine CGC giving the time our D deserves and Thacker needs to only concentrate on the LBs
at this point in his career. Anybody have any rumors or educated guesses ?

slugboy

Staff member
I am hoping we still hire a new DC. I just can't imagine CGC giving the time our D deserves and Thacker needs to only concentrate on the LBs
at this point in his career. Anybody have any rumors or educated guesses ?
We’ve already seen the rumor that boosters want Collins to take over DC duties and Thacker to move to LB coach. I’m a little confused about assignments because last year Thacker was DC/Linebackers and Coleman was DE+Linebackers.

We’ve also seen rumors that Collins was micromanaging the defense, and overruling calls. I don’t know for sure that it’s true, but I’ve seen Collins yelling at Thacker on the sidelines and some arguments.

For defense, my view of the odds are
  1. Fairly likely: Collins is DC but Thacker keeps the DC title
  2. Also fairly likely: Collins agrees to take over DC duties, but the responsibilities are a lot like last year (Thacker with the same responsibilities as last year, but without a Co-DC). This is what almost no one wants.
  3. Not very likely: Collins is HC/DC and Thacker is LB coach. If Thacker was going to get a title change, why hasn't he?
  4. I’d be surprised if: we hire a new DC. Maybe we're waiting on other announcements to see if we can get someone we really want, but it's after early signing day. I suppose there's a possibility we're waiting on someone who is coaching a bowl, but it just feels like we're looking for another assistant.
For offense, I hope Long has enough credibility that he just takes over managing the entire offense, and Collins is focused entirely on defense and special teams.

For last year, I’ll say that everyone on offense looked like they were all running the same play. On defense, the corners, the safeties, the LBs, and the DL looked disjointed. We talked about the corners and the safeties looking like they were confused about who had which assignment, but everyone behind the DL looked like they weren’t on the same page.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
We’ve already seen the rumor that boosters want Collins to take over DC duties and Thacker to move to LB coach. I’m a little confused about assignments because last year Thacker was DC/Linebackers and Coleman was DE+Linebackers.

We’ve also seen rumors that Collins was micromanaging the defense, and overruling calls. I don’t know for sure that it’s true, but I’ve seen Collins yelling at Thacker on the sidelines and some arguments.

2. Also fairly likely: Collins agrees to take over DC duties, but the responsibilities are a lot like last year (Thacker with the same responsibilities as last year, but without a Co-DC). This is what almost no one wants.
  3. Not very likely: Collins is HC/DC and Thacker is LB coach. If Thacker was going to get a title change, why hasn't he?
  4. I’d be surprised if: we hire a new DC. Maybe we're waiting on other announcements to see if we can get someone we really want, but it's after early signing day. I suppose there's a possibility we're waiting on someone who is coaching a bowl, but it just feels like we're looking for another assistant.
For offense, I hope Long has enough credibility that he just takes over managing the entire offense, and Collins is focused entirely on defense and special teams.

For last year, I’ll say that everyone on offense looked like they were all running the same play. On defense, the corners, the safeties, the LBs, and the DL looked disjointed. We talked about the corners and the safeties looking like they were confused about who had which assignment, but everyone behind the DL looked like they weren’t on the same page.
I agree that Collins may be the defacto DC, but something about that arrangement did not work last year - "Thank you, Captain Obvious" ! IMO, because of his relative inexperience as a HC, CGC makes mistakes with clock management, strategy type decisions. Trying to do both HC and DC , he does neither well- again IMHO.
Also, CGC mentioned 2 more hires. By my count only Daniels has been hired. The defense was one step below horrible last year. If we are going to have to outscore virtually everyone we play next year......Long better be the second coming of Lincoln Riley.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

The only thing I know for sure is that I want to see as little of Thacker coordinating the defense as possible.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I agree that Collins may be the defacto DC, but something about that arrangement did not work last year - "Thank you, Captain Obvious" ! IMO, because of his relative inexperience as a HC, CGC makes mistakes with clock management, strategy type decisions. Trying to do both HC and DC , he does neither well- again IMHO.
Also, CGC mentioned 2 more hires. By my count only Daniels has been hired. The defense was one step below horrible last year. If we are going to have to outscore virtually everyone we play next year......Long better be the second coming of Lincoln Riley.
I wonder if an example exists where an HC relinquished his game management decisions to someone on his staff (say, the assistant HC) in a situation where the HC was also the DC.
Might be unworkable for one reason or another, I dunno. But the fewer game day decisions Collins makes, and the fewer defensive coordinating decisions Thacker makes the better, IMO.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
3 years with virtually no improvement is all I have needed to see. Sometimes the "Peter Principle " is obvious. Happens all the time.....
It's also quite possible that Thacker has what it takes to be a good DC (and CGC is right in his assertions there), but that Thacker just isn't ready yet. In some business situations it makes sense to 'stretch' a developing talent to grow them. But not when you are 9 for the last 36 and at risk of losing your job.

It wouldn't surprise me at all to see Thacker move on to other pastures after this year (either with or without CGC) and eventually become a highly-sought-after DC. I've seen more than one whipper-snapper-stud (or stud-ess) fail because they were put in situations over their heads and recover to later become good leaders.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
  1. Also fairly likely: Collins agrees to take over DC duties, but the responsibilities are a lot like last year (Thacker with the same responsibilities as last year, but without a Co-DC). This is what almost no one wants.
I'm a little confused. Thacker had a Co-DC? How does Collins take over, but the responsibilities remain the same?

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
It's also quite possible that Thacker has what it takes to be a good DC (and CGC is right in his assertions there), but that Thacker just isn't ready yet. In some business situations it makes sense to 'stretch' a developing talent to grow them. But not when you are 9 for the last 36 and at risk of losing your job.

It wouldn't surprise me at all to see Thacker move on to other pastures after this year (either with or without CGC) and eventually become a highly-sought-after DC. I've seen more than one whipper-snapper-stud (or stud-ess) fail because they were put in situations over their heads and recover to later become good leaders.
True that.....

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
My impression is that the remaining open coaching position will be used on an offensive assistant.

I think the defense is basially set - which concerns me as that means that really the only changes are Tillman for Burton and Popovich and Collins being more involved in the defense (when we were already told he pays alot of attention to the defense).

slugboy

Staff member
  1. One explanation for clock management issues has been that Collins was overriding his coordinators. It’s not that he doesn’t know how much time there is; it’s that his players are getting conflicting information. That’s a rumor, and I can’t believe that would be true even through one season, much less three seasons, but there it is.
  2. Yes, there’s space for one more hire. I think it will be an assistant, but I don’t know where. It could be a DC, but I’d be surprised

slugboy

Staff member
I'm a little confused. Thacker had a Co-DC? How does Collins take over, but the responsibilities remain the same?
Nate Burton’s title was “Co-DC” last season

I didn’t say “Collins takes over but Thacker’s responsibilities remain the same”. I said “”Collins AGREES to take over”. That is, he backslides to what he did this past season, but without Burton.

Since the initial scuttlebutt was that Collins would take over DC but Thacker still apparently is, that looks like the current configuration. We won’t know until we hire someone else or see who calls the defense

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
My impression is that the remaining open coaching position will be used on an offensive assistant.

I think the defense is basially set - which concerns me as that means that really the only changes are Tillman for Burton and Popovich and Collins being more involved in the defense (when we were already told he pays alot of attention to the defense).
Exactly........:facepalm:

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
  1. One explanation for clock management issues has been that Collins was overriding his coordinators. It’s not that he doesn’t know how much time there is; it’s that his players are getting conflicting information. That’s a rumor, and I can’t believe that would be true even through one season, much less three seasons, but there it is.
  2. Yes, there’s space for one more hire. I think it will be an assistant, but I don’t know where. It could be a DC, but I’d be surprised
Like I learned in my profession, trying to override those you employ "at the time, or on the spot" often leads to errors and confusion. Did everyone realize the change had been made was often the issue here. I had to learn to make (mental) notes of decisions that I would have changed by my employees- whom I overwhelmingly trust otherwise, and that can be another issue altogether- and discuss it afterwards. Experience is a great teacher......

Last edited:

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
Special teams?...we certainly need improvement on FG, extra pts, ko coverage...etc

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Unless Chip Long has a QB coach in mind who would take the job, I expect our last hire for the coaching staff will be a dedicated Special Teams coordinator. Wasn’t Burton coaching the “defensive” special teams? I’d be in favor of having a coach completely dedicated to that. Our special teams weren’t great the past few seasons, and it’s probably best to have Wiesehan focus entirely on the tight ends. Unless we can somehow convince someone like Corey Dennis or Goose to come coach our QBs.