New Hires........so far.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
5 wins next year is 6 wins almost any other year (next years schedule makes this years look like a cakewalk, and we had one of the 10 toughest schedules in the country this year). If he doesn't get a 5th year off of 5 wins it'll be due to booster stubbornness.

Now, year 5, I would want to probably be 7 wins since it'll probably be the easiest schedule Collins has had since his first year, but 6 wins next year is going to be significantly harder than 7 wins in 2023. 4 wins and he should probably be gone though.
Actually, our schedule turned out to be ranked 24th. Pretty tough, but not in the top ten.

Next year, the schedule portends to be a bit tougher overall (maybe top 20, though Ole Miss will probably be a downgrade from ND and our division foes are likely to be weaker, not stronger next year) but there's a certain consideration of time here too, it being his fourth year, and I personally think it's time for Collins to find 6 wins, minimum.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
5 wins next year is 6 wins almost any other year (next years schedule makes this years look like a cakewalk, and we had one of the 10 toughest schedules in the country this year). If he doesn't get a 5th year off of 5 wins it'll be due to booster stubbornness.

Now, year 5, I would want to probably be 7 wins since it'll probably be the easiest schedule Collins has had since his first year, but 6 wins next year is going to be significantly harder than 7 wins in 2023. 4 wins and he should probably be gone though.
Continuing to use the schedule as an excuse for not making a bowl is a cop out. Tech’s SOS ended up at #6 this year, and next year’s won’t be harder, and I imagine there’s a good chance it drops. Only 3 of the teams with a top 10 schedule failed to make a bowl: GT, Indiana, and Nebraska. If you go all the way out to the top 25 toughest schedules, Rutgers is the only additional team to not make a bowl.

If Long’s offense can be marginally better than what we did last year, and the defense can get out of the 100s we’ll make a bowl. I hope Tillman having all of the DBs under his wing will make a significant difference in secondary play.

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
Since we're talking wins and losses, here's our schedule

DateOpponentTarget
5-Sep​
ClemsonUpset
10-Sep​
Western CarolinaMust Win
17-Sep​
Ole MissUpset
24-Sep​
UCFNeed to win
26-Nov​
UGAUpset
TBADukeMust Win
TBAMiamiUpset
TBAUVANeed to win
TBAFSUNeed to win
TBAUNCNeed to win
TBAPittNeed to win
TBAVTNeed to win

That's 12 games.
4 games where we're definitely underdogs
1 game--Western Carolina--that we absolutely need to win convincingly.
That leaves 7 games where we might be underdogs, but that we need to in.

7 wins is obtainable next season. It would require massive improvement in play and coaching, but it's obtainable. With a couple of upsets, a special season is possible. The schedule is reasonable. There's one last position open, and I could see us use it for a second OLine coach.

Regarding the secondary, getting the corners, nickel, and safeties on the same page would be an improvement, but we also have to get the entire defense on the same page. The safeties and linebackers have also had conflicting actions (hitting the same gaps, etc.).

Hopefully, the coaching staff starts to gel quickly.
While we certainly will still be underdogs Clemson's performance this year has taken them off the pedestal a bit. Granted they still won 10 games but when you factor in how close we played them this past year, with Yates at QB, and that Clemson is losing both coordinators....I just don't see that win as unattainable. Definitely still an upset but unless they have some stud QB transfer in or take over from DJU I don't see them being the monster they've been in recent history. Granted for us to have a real shot at winning we need to take a big step forward and that is certainly not a given.

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
There are a million kids in the transfer portal, no one has gone through spring practice, kids can still declare for the draft, and any number of other factors that will affect 2022. No one knows who should or shouldn't win any game next year yet.

The only given is that the first loss will have the same 6 guys flooding the board with FIre Collins nonsense.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
There are a million kids in the transfer portal, no one has gone through spring practice, kids can still declare for the draft, and any number of other factors that will affect 2022. No one knows who should or shouldn't win any game next year yet.

The only given is that the first loss will have the same 6 guys flooding the board with FIre Collins nonsense.
Agree with the first item (ok maybe both...). No one knows what the competition will look like. However, we need a complete 180 turn in all things related to actual football execution to improve on the past three years. It's been completely dreadful to date. I like the new hires. I DONT like keeping Thacker in any role at all, but especially not with the title of DC. He has likely been the least effective DC in all of P5 football and the trendline is pointing in the wrong direction. It's hard to see that step function move when CAT is still in that role.

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer

We had a super easy schedule this year. we only played 2-3 good teams.

slugboy

Staff member
CBK needs help?
There are a couple of units that need to improve a lot since last year. I don't know where TStan and Collins place their bet, but the final coaching hire might be the most important. I don't know which leak in the dam is the biggest--defensive backfield, OL, LB corps--but they have to patch it. If it's a second OL coach, then that's what they have to do.

Right now I would favor you over us. We are where you were 3 years ago.
I just had
Upset == opponent strongly favored
Must Win == not only should we win, but Collins absolutely has to.
Need to win == a game a decent mid-level bowling team should win. We need at least 5 of those, probably more.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
There are a couple of units that need to improve a lot since last year. I don't know where TStan and Collins place their bet, but the final coaching hire might be the most important. I don't know which leak in the dam is the biggest--defensive backfield, OL, LB corps--but they have to patch it. If it's a second OL coach, then that's what they have to do.
I agree our OL coaching is suspect, but geez, to give a guy who's being paid $650,000 a year just to coach the OL an assistant? It's kind of insulting, really.
But like you said, if it's what they have to do...

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
The schedule doesn't scare me. We can worry about the opponents once we stop beating ourselves.

We beat UNC convincingly this year. We were in every ACC game, except Pitt, in the 4th Quarter. We lost those games and NIU because of sloppy undisciplined play and poor coaching. We have the players to compete with any team in the ACC. With better coaching, we could win 6+ easily. Could've happened this year if we'd just played sound fundamental football: tackle, stick to your assignments, hold onto the ball and don't draw stupid penalties.

CGC is saying a lot of the right things now. Maybe he heard the wakeup call. Maybe he can turn the D around. Maybe Long can coach Sim's performance up to his talent level.

I'm skeptical.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer

Way too much logic and intelligence in your post for this board. Forecasting wins is a fool's errand. I'd add that we don't know what the injury situation will be--for us or opponents. We happened to draw Jurkovec for the BC game who had been out for awhile, for example. He doesn't play, we probably win.

What is clear to me is that the 6 that you refer to know little about college football and less about our roster. We looked worse at the end of the year due to lots of injuries and being a team with little depth. They don't start to understand that-but they don't want too, either.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer

I’ll be the first to say give him a 7 year rollover contract if we win 4.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
My understanding is the agreed upon number is six.
The quote by donors in the article on here awhile back said 8 wins. Admittedly that was right after the season ended and they were a little sore about all the money they had invested in this experiment. They may have mellowed with time.