New Hires........so far.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'm fairly neutral on the coaching hires. I'm purely in show me territory at this point.
I think Long is a likely upgrade over DP
Tillman I have no idea. We literally cannot be worse than we were last year in the secondary, but how much it improves under Tillman, I have no idea.
Daniels looks like he has potential but honestly I expect a drop off there.

GT has to win 6 next year. I don't think any less than that does it for me.

They will all have their work cut out for them on the recruiting trail. With Collins on the hot seat and three straight 3-win seasons this will be Collins and staff most difficult year to recruit. They were largely able to lock down the 2022 class before games even started, which really helped as their was alot of positive talk going into last season. This spring and summer is going to be very different. There will not be nearly as much positive talk.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
As crappy as the ACC is, just throw darts other than Clemson. (I mean there is no way we can beat NC either right?) If he can pull the team together. Finally start having production practices and actually do some coaching we should win 7-9 as we have the talent.

No doubt the man can recruit! But it takes so much more than that. He HAS to coach and enable and help his coaches to coach. Its now or never. 5 wins probably has a 50/50 chance of still getting fired depending on how bad the losses are. I really wish this come to Jesus point came after year 2 not year 3.
ACC has the most top 20 teams in the country. Maybe not so crappy.

GTBlaze

Banned
Admittedly, I can be overly optimistic at times. I generally tend to be a glass half full type of person anyway. Regarding the new hires ( so far ), I feel they have been good. Especially factoring in the money constraints we must have. I think Long and Tillman are definitely upgrades, and Daniels has the potential to be a very good replacement for Choice IF,
and it's a big if, we can keep him for a while.
Since CGC mentioned 2 new hires, then hired Daniels, I figure there may be one more.
At this point I say, so far, so good. What say you ?
I follow football pretty well. I’m on several message boards, etc. honestly, I have never heard of any of these coaches hired

However.. after reading about their accomplishments, attitude, etc I think I’m ok with all of these new coaches.

sgreer

Jolly Good Fellow
So we need to wait on a team to be missing their QB to get a W ? Cmon man. We kept some games close because of teams gifting us with turnovers or lucking into multiple onsides kicks. We were a historically bad GT team by the numbers. Most of our games were not as close as the final score indicated.
The pass rush was so bad especially at the end of the year- Any QB could have success with all day to throw.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
We will see if the new hires make a difference. No way to tell yet. May have an upgrade at OC . Play calling and game prep could make a difference in Sims performance next year. The churn in coaching changes this year is really amazing.

slugboy

Staff member
It’s December. We play again next September. So much can happen for us and other teams between now and then. We haven’t even hired for all of our positions.
It’s way too early to say what teams on our schedule will be really good. We can guess a couple. We just know our coaches and players have a big task ahead of them.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Better than BC and South Carolina but not really good. Malzahn is their coach, and they should improve next year. We need to improve more, of course
I’m pretty meh on Malzahn fwiw. I just looked up their record 8-4 and are playing UF in a bowl. I’m not sure if they are losing a lot etc so who knows about next year. I reckon they will look pretty different than the team we saw in 2019 thats for sure

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
Better than BC and South Carolina but not really good. Malzahn is their coach, and they should improve next year. We need to improve more, of course
Next season we need to grind grind grind out 6 wins…a bowl game would do wonders for recruiting…Most of our games the past three seasons were lost or given away, bad field position, turn overs, penalties, special teams flaws and busted plays…if your jobs at steak make the other team beat you…

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Just for the sake of discussion let's take the last two games of the year where we got beat 100-0 or similar. Let's say we lose on the road to ND by a 35 - 28 score. At home to Uga by 27 - 24. Both games GT has a chance to win both games late in the 4th.

Quantifiable evidence says either way you are 0-2. I get it if that is your opinion. However, I (and I m guessing many more) would have a totally different perspective on the games. I am not saying that my opinion is correct. I am saying that these things do matter (to me).
I respect that, my only counter is that would be acceptable to me for years 2 and 3, not year 4. Year 4, you need to deliver some of your promises, not 5 wins, but "hey at least we didn't get blown out".

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
5 wins next year is 6 wins almost any other year (next years schedule makes this years look like a cakewalk, and we had one of the 10 toughest schedules in the country this year). If he doesn't get a 5th year off of 5 wins it'll be due to booster stubbornness.

Now, year 5, I would want to probably be 7 wins since it'll probably be the easiest schedule Collins has had since his first year, but 6 wins next year is going to be significantly harder than 7 wins in 2023. 4 wins and he should probably be gone though.
Continuing to use the schedule as an excuse for not making a bowl is a cop out. Tech’s SOS ended up at #6 this year, and next year’s won’t be harder, and I imagine there’s a good chance it drops. Only 3 of the teams with a top 10 schedule failed to make a bowl: GT, Indiana, and Nebraska. If you go all the way out to the top 25 toughest schedules, Rutgers is the only additional team to not make a bowl.

If Long’s offense can be marginally better than what we did last year, and the defense can get out of the 100s we’ll make a bowl. I hope Tillman having all of the DBs under his wing will make a significant difference in secondary play.
Who had the toughest schedule in ACC?
Who played agsinst 5 or 6 of top 25 qbs in 21?

The tough schedule and ,the w l are not the issue. Except for Gibbs we looked slow and very often over powered and sometimes clueless.
Win 5 games while looking sloppy and its a new time on flats. Play like warriors fighting as one and 5 wins is great.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Aren't a lot our ACC opponents breaking in new QBs too?
I think we drop BC and add WF w Hartman ( i think he returns- but he had real bad reaction when Pitt kicked ***(.
We faced 5 orx6 of top 25 qbs.
Next year has to be easier

Back to Hires.
What mKes us think the secondary is Not GOING TO SUCK.