New Hires........so far.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
Admittedly, I can be overly optimistic at times. I generally tend to be a glass half full type of person anyway. Regarding the new hires ( so far ), I feel they have been good. Especially factoring in the money constraints we must have. I think Long and Tillman are definitely upgrades, and Daniels has the potential to be a very good replacement for Choice IF,
and it's a big if, we can keep him for a while.
Since CGC mentioned 2 new hires, then hired Daniels, I figure there may be one more.
At this point I say, so far, so good. What say you ?

gtchem05

Jolly Good Fellow
I agree, and would also add that the literal Nobody we hired as a defensive coordinator is also an upgrade. One might refer to it as an 'addition by subtraction' approach. In all seriousness, though, I wonder if Corey Dennis is still a possibility at QB coach and if the parties are waiting until after the Rose Bowl to announce.

Last edited:

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
I don't think that there is any doubt among the fan base or the players that we have upgraded all but one coaching position. Choice was a tough blow. But to say we are set up better to succeed is an under statement. I am still cautiously optimistic with our HC but he gets this coming year no matter what.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
I don't think that there is any doubt among the fan base or the players that we have upgraded all but one coaching position. Choice was a tough blow. But to say we are set up better to succeed is an under statement. I am still cautiously optimistic with our HC but he gets this coming year no matter what.
Yes, CGC has one more year to win AT LEAST 5 games , IMO. That's it.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Long is a solid, proven OC and his tougher approach will be a welcome addition and a counterweight to Collins. Hopefully Daniels will be as good as Tashard, but we'll see. I don't know how good Tillman will be, but the upgrade here is to have one coach over the corners and safeties which hopefully will solve some of the confusion issues in the secondary.

The big unknown is what's going to happen with the DC.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
What are the five wins we get next year?
As crappy as the ACC is, just throw darts other than Clemson. (I mean there is no way we can beat NC either right?) If he can pull the team together. Finally start having production practices and actually do some coaching we should win 7-9 as we have the talent.

No doubt the man can recruit! But it takes so much more than that. He HAS to coach and enable and help his coaches to coach. Its now or never. 5 wins probably has a 50/50 chance of still getting fired depending on how bad the losses are. I really wish this come to Jesus point came after year 2 not year 3.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
I would suspect we will only be significant underdogs vs. Georgia and Clemson (Clemson did look better late in the year but losing both coordinators has to hurt). We will be an underdog vs. Ole Miss (who loses their QB) who we have at home and possible UCF. But win against Western Carolina, split Ole Miss/UCF and take 4 ACC games gets you to 6 wins. Maybe Duke, VA, either FSU or Miami and one more (NC, Pittsburgh, VT which are all on the road). Obviously to do that, the Offense needs to improve and the defense needs to significantly improve and quit giving up so many big plays. We will also need to find a reliable FG kicker.

In terms of the new hires, I am okay with the OC who has been inconsistent but has had success, less thrilled about the DB coach based on his past year at MSU, and okay with the RB coach though Choice is a big loss particularly in his ability to recruit 4* RB.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
As always there is other factors to consider outside 'raw score" (i.e. minimum number). The most other critical factor is passing the eyeball test - we cannot afford another ND-Uga beatdown where we looked like we were playing outside of our own classification. Avoid those, 5 might be sufficient. Toss 1 or 2 of those into the mix and it may take 7. Who knows?

MacJacket

Helluva Engineer
I like the hires he's brought in so far. Daniels might be a step down as a position coach from Choice, but is apparently a great recruiter. Long's experience at this level and clear offensive identity makes him an instant upgrade over CDP. Tillman is another guy with more experience at this level than Burton and Popovich and is another guy that I think will be a strong recruiter.

Hopefully Collins can turn this around and get us into a bowl game next year. If he cannot, all these changes were for naught and the whole thing is coming down. I'd like to see him succeed and scale back on the salesman rah-rah.

slugboy

Staff member
Since we're talking wins and losses, here's our schedule

DateOpponentTarget
5-Sep​
ClemsonUpset
10-Sep​
Western CarolinaMust Win
17-Sep​
Ole MissUpset
24-Sep​
UCFNeed to win
26-Nov​
UGAUpset
TBADukeMust Win
TBAMiamiUpset
TBAUVANeed to win
TBAFSUNeed to win
TBAUNCNeed to win
TBAPittNeed to win
TBAVTNeed to win

That's 12 games.
4 games where we're definitely underdogs
1 game--Western Carolina--that we absolutely need to win convincingly.
That leaves 7 games where we might be underdogs, but that we need to in.

7 wins is obtainable next season. It would require massive improvement in play and coaching, but it's obtainable. With a couple of upsets, a special season is possible. The schedule is reasonable. There's one last position open, and I could see us use it for a second OLine coach.

Regarding the secondary, getting the corners, nickel, and safeties on the same page would be an improvement, but we also have to get the entire defense on the same page. The safeties and linebackers have also had conflicting actions (hitting the same gaps, etc.).

Hopefully, the coaching staff starts to gel quickly.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I would suspect we will only be significant underdogs vs. Georgia and Clemson (Clemson did look better late in the year but losing both coordinators has to hurt). We will be an underdog vs. Ole Miss (who loses their QB) who we have at home and possible UCF. But win against Western Carolina, split Ole Miss/UCF and take 4 ACC games gets you to 6 wins. Maybe Duke, VA, either FSU or Miami and one more (NC, Pittsburgh, VT which are all on the road). Obviously to do that, the Offense needs to improve and the defense needs to significantly improve and quit giving up so many big plays. We will also need to find a reliable FG kicker.

In terms of the new hires, I am okay with the OC who has been inconsistent but has had success, less thrilled about the DB coach based on his past year at MSU, and okay with the RB coach though Choice is a big loss particularly in his ability to recruit 4* RB.

I don't think recruiting is going to be an issue with the new RB coach. Shouldn't miss a beat there.

candrewk

Georgia Tech Fan
Six, minimum.
5 wins next year is 6 wins almost any other year (next years schedule makes this years look like a cakewalk, and we had one of the 10 toughest schedules in the country this year). If he doesn't get a 5th year off of 5 wins it'll be due to booster stubbornness.

Now, year 5, I would want to probably be 7 wins since it'll probably be the easiest schedule Collins has had since his first year, but 6 wins next year is going to be significantly harder than 7 wins in 2023. 4 wins and he should probably be gone though.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
Since we're talking wins and losses, here's our schedule

DateOpponentTarget
5-Sep​
ClemsonUpset
10-Sep​
Western CarolinaMust Win
17-Sep​
Ole MissUpset
24-Sep​
UCFNeed to win
26-Nov​
UGAUpset
TBADukeMust Win
TBAMiamiUpset
TBAUVANeed to win
TBAFSUNeed to win
TBAUNCNeed to win
TBAPittNeed to win
TBAVTNeed to win

That's 12 games.
4 games where we're definitely underdogs
1 game--Western Carolina--that we absolutely need to win convincingly.
That leaves 7 games where we might be underdogs, but that we need to in.

7 wins is obtainable next season. It would require massive improvement in play and coaching, but it's obtainable. With a couple of upsets, a special season is possible. The schedule is reasonable. There's one last position open, and I could see us use it for a second OLine coach.

Regarding the secondary, getting the corners, nickel, and safeties on the same page would be an improvement, but we also have to get the entire defense on the same page. The safeties and linebackers have also had conflicting actions (hitting the same gaps, etc.).

Hopefully, the coaching staff starts to gel quickly.
Right now I would favor you over us. We are where you were 3 years ago.