NCAA violations found at GT

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
There is 0% chance a lawyer could win a case of Josh committing NCAA violations. it has to be more than preponderance of the evidence. If he had committed NCAA violations I think that GT and NCAA would have uncovered that. It would have been in GT's interest as it would have given them a get out of jail free card.

As to Pastner. We'll see next season. I'm not willing to go all gloom and doom until we have a legitimate reason to go all gloom and doom.
He's here for 2 more years imo. At that point TStan will have to make a extend or cut bait decision.

I said when Hewitt was fired we would have a lost decade- we are 8 years into that lost decade. Either Pastner will prove in the next 2 years he is the man for the job, or he won't and will be replaced. I hope he succeeds and if he doesn't then we replace him in a couple of years, but there is basically almost a 0% chance he is replaced before year 5. Either way we get out of our lost decade in after 2 more seasons. The only real question is whether that will be with or without Pastner. I expect we will have a pretty good answer to that at this time next year.

Deleted member 2897

For all your guys who project all this talent "coming back" for a tourney run, let's wait and see who actually is here when the season starts or even maybe 2nd semester.This new crap may be only a rehash but it only stirs the pot more and it can't be good for the future.

Can you point to a single person here who is projecting a tournament run? I’d like to hang out with them.

MWT89

Jolly Good Fellow
Is Pastner's lack of recruiting success partially a result of other teams telling our targets that Tech is headed for sanctions, no post-season, limited scholarships, etc.? Who wants to join a program in trouble with the NCAA?

D-man44

Helluva Engineer
Anyway you look at it CJP was a bad hire. Nothing good has come out of his time here. His so called strength as a recruiter has proven to be false. It's pretty apparent when a first year coach in the same state in the SEC is out recruiting an ACC school in basketball.
But Mike Devoe! #smallvictories

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
[QUOTE="RamblinRed, post: 555327, member: 1776]
As to Pastner. We'll see next season. I'm not willing to go all gloom and doom until we have a legitimate reason to go all gloom and doom.
He's here for 2 more years imo. At that point TStan will have to make a extend or cut bait decision.

I said when Hewitt was fired we would have a lost decade- we are 8 years into that lost decade. Either Pastner will prove in the next 2 years he is the man for the job, or he won't and will be replaced. I hope he succeeds and if he doesn't then we replace him in a couple of years, but there is basically almost a 0% chance he is replaced before year 5. Either way we get out of our lost decade in after 2 more seasons. The only real question is whether that will be with or without Pastner. I expect we will have a pretty good answer to that at this time next year.[/QUOTE]

You have the patience of a saint. You have explained this same logic multiple times.....I doubt I would be so patient. Hang in with us idiots and keep us straight!

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
There’s a large group of people who do including me.

We’ve finally got a good nucleus coming back, and a reasonable group of talent. I’m expecting we win 20 games. All we need is to not lose a couple games to the Gardner Webb’s of the world, and beat a couple more bottom half teams. We’re not that far away.

Now having said that. We finally have about everyone back - if we don’t improve next year, that will be a bad sign.

He has to start beating ugag.

GTFLETCH

Banned
The recruiting violations were allegedly committed by the Yellow Jackets’ former assistant coach Darryl LaBarrie and a man named Ron Bell, who’s a former friend of current Georgia Tech coach Josh Pastner who lives in Tucson and met Yellow Jackets coach Pastner while he was an assistant at Arizona and has been invovled with Coach Pastner at every coaching job he has held.

So we are to believe that Coach Pastner had no clue! WTH!! Fire his butt ASAP! He needs to be fired for just being friends with a slime like Ron Bell!

LINK
https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/03/georgia-tech-ncaa-violations-strip-club

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
The recruiting violations were allegedly committed by the Yellow Jackets’ former assistant coach Darryl LaBarrie and a man named Ron Bell, who’s a former friend of current Georgia Tech coach Josh Pastner who lives in Tucson and met Yellow Jackets coach Pastner while he was an assistant at Arizona and has been invovled with Coach Pastner at every coaching job he has held.

So we are to believe that Coach Pastner had no clue! WTH!! Fire his butt ASAP! He needs to be fired for just being friends with a slime like Ron Bell!

LINK
https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/03/georgia-tech-ncaa-violations-strip-club
When I read the NOA I read that LaBarrie mislead GT about what he is alleged to have done. I am not sure what GT or Pastner could have done at that point other than put LaBarrie on leave, which they did. The NCAA was already aware of the allegation. LaBarrie is a GT graduate and was a trusted assistant coach. Why he knowingly broke the rules so blatantly is beyond me. It makes no sense at all.

The Ron Bell mess was already headed downhill when Pastner arrived at GT. I think it was posted on here that he sent RB a letter (or message) shortly after being hired telling him to back off recruits and to not claim he was representing Pastner.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
I've avoided posting on this until I had time to get over the emotion and think more clearly. Someone else posted similarly a couple days back, but he had good whisky (Talisker 10, I believe) to help him. I just fumed. :)

I think the first allegation ($300 at strip club) and third (RB and the trip to AZ) are just cases of tying up loose ends and wrapping up the cases. I don't expect a ton of new penalties from them.

Allegation #2 is the one that I believe will be bad. The NCAA does not appreciate being lied to and witness tampering. CDL says he didn't. Seems to me that's a pretty easy one for the NCAA to prove / disprove. They have tapes and/or transcripts of the CDL interviews. If he lied, he will be banned for many many years. If he didn't, he will be fine. The fact that they brought the case tells me they believe they have the proof.

The open question is wether they believe CJP knew about CDL's alleged lies & tampering. If so, we will get hammered and could fire him for cause. If not, I believe institutional penalties will be light and CDL will be destroyed. (Deservedly so if the allegations are true)

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The open question is wether they believe CJP knew about CDL's alleged lies & tampering. If so, we will get hammered and could fire him for cause. If not, I believe institutional penalties will be light and CDL will be destroyed. (Deservedly so if the allegations are true)

The underlying investigation is over and CJP was cleared of any allegations. Wouldn't that mean the question you have is not open?

LibertyTurns

Banned
There is 0% chance a lawyer could win a case of Josh committing NCAA violations. it has to be more than preponderance of the evidence. If he had committed NCAA violations I think that GT and NCAA would have uncovered that. It would have been in GT's interest as it would have given them a get out of jail free card.

I said when Hewitt was fired we would have a lost decade- we are 8 years into that lost decade. Either Pastner will prove in the next 2 years he is the man for the job, or he won't and will be replaced. I hope he succeeds and if he doesn't then we replace him in a couple of years, but there is basically almost a 0% chance he is replaced before year 5. Either way we get out of our lost decade in after 2 more seasons. The only real question is whether that will be with or without Pastner. I expect we will have a pretty good answer to that at this time next year.
I’m fairly confident all of the above is right on the mark. Just wish it wasn’t so. Our only hope to avoid another 3-5 years of misery is somehow we catch a break- Pastner suddenly becomes a recruiting genius, recruits overlook the sideshows, etc. In any event, I’ll be here bitching & whining with the other 30 or so diehards that refuse to give up.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
The underlying investigation is over and CJP was cleared of any allegations. Wouldn't that mean the question you have is not open?

I know Tech has publicly said they found CJP knew nothing about RB's shenanigans. I don't remember seeing anything where Tech said they investigated a strip club visit, cash paid to a player and a prospect by Jack or a deliberate cover up by CDL. In fact, Tech has been notably silent on everything related to CDL. (Granted, I'm over 50, so I may have missed or forgotten an AJC story on this.)

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I’m fairly confident all of the above is right on the mark. Just wish it wasn’t so. Our only hope to avoid another 3-5 years of misery is somehow we catch a break- Pastner suddenly becomes a recruiting genius, recruits overlook the sideshows, etc. In any event, I’ll be here bitching & whining with the other 30 or so diehards that refuse to give up.

You don't even ***** & whine that much compared to some.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I know Tech has publicly said they found CJP knew nothing about RB's shenanigans. I don't remember seeing anything where Tech said they investigated a strip club visit, cash paid to a player and a prospect by Jack or a deliberate cover up by CDL. In fact, Tech has been notably silent on everything related to CDL. (Granted, I'm over 50, so I may have missed or forgotten an AJC story on this.)

Your first problem is reading AJC stories on this. Let me give every one a piece of advice. Cancel your AJC subscription and subscribe to The Athletic.

Let me bring this quote back to your attention.

Pastner's lawyer has confirmed that the NCAA is not charging him with any violations. The notice of allegations sets forth the conclusions of the NCAA investigation and Pastner has been cleared.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'm with DTM on this one. IMO Pastner has already been cleared based on the reporting and that is why he is still the coach.

It has been established that GT has known about the NOA for weeks, it just chose to release it publicly this past Friday.
If GT or the NCAA found Pastner was involved I don't think he would be the coach here because they could terminate with cause.

The reporting (other than the AJC) has been very consistent that Pastner has been cleared by both GT and the NCAA.

The NOA is the complete list of charges according to the NCAA - no where does it even mention Pastner.

Most of the info we already knew.
The only truly new info in the NOA is that they are alleging that LaBarrie lied and tried to get others to lie about his involvement, and that RB provided sneakers to Crawford and a plane ticket that was cancelled.

The new information helps alot with understanding why GT acted how it did when LaBarrie was suspended. if GT believed Labarrie misled them and/or NCAA they basically had no option but to suspend him and ultimately remove him from employment. Those actions by GT will likely keep GT from any serious sanctions, but it exposes LaBarrie to much steeper sanctions and GT isn't going to be his friend at the hearing, actually the opposite.

The RB stuff, there are texts from JP to RB where he explicitly states what RB can and cannot do. All the other texts by RB to Jp's wife, etc are just him boasting about how Crawford is going to come to GT.

Reading the NOA, I don't expect much more to come of this - neither GT nor Pastner are being held responsible by the NCAA, alot of the charges have already had the punishment happen. That doesn't mean the NCAA couldn't go all Cleveland St, but if they don't I would expect any additional sanctions to be minor.

Either way we will know 60 days from the hearing a final resolution and then we can move on one way or the other. By the time the staff is trying to set up official visits any further sanctions will already be known.

GSOJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I really hope this thing doesn't drag out forever. Our basketball program has been a slow train wreck that seems even more tragic given our location in the middle of such a talent rich area. With A grade coaches at Duke, UNC, and Syracuse getting up in age, there is real potential at Tech - if we can get through this.... with the right leadership.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
"Your first problem is reading AJC stories on this. Let me give every one a piece of advice. Cancel your AJC subscription and subscribe to The Athletic."

Exactly! I canceled my subscription over 10 years ago and have told friends to stop sending me links to this dawg rag. The only reasons to include details of old news in that article was to sell papers and to hurt GT. Why Tech fans read their crap is beyond me.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
Josh Pastner will be around for another season or two i believe because i think his buyout is 8 million dollars.
Absolutely the best action is to keep JP. He only has 2 seasons left on his contract ( I think ), Tech will probably get hit for at least 2 years probation/ recruiting and post season play.So let him figure out how to survive for 2 more years, or resign with no payout.