NCAA violations found at GT

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
If you are going to play big boy basketball then $4 M is a cost of doing business. If you are not committed to big boy basketball then $4 M keeps you at the bottom of the league

joehamiltonfan14

Jolly Good Fellow
Agreed, anytime you fire a guy you have to eat some buyout. Hopefully if we have to, we’ll have gathered funds by then. The real question is why was Pastner extended after that first year.

travgt01

Ramblin' Wreck
Agreed, anytime you fire a guy you have to eat some buyout. Hopefully if we have to, we’ll have gathered funds by then. The real question is why was Pastner extended after that first year.
Incompetent gtaa. He’ll probably get extended after next year. Agents have fed ad’s magic beans for years with the”you won’t be able to recruit if your coach doesn’t have at least a 4 year deal” bs.

joehamiltonfan14

Jolly Good Fellow
Incompetent gtaa. He’ll probably get extended after next year. Agents have fed ad’s magic beans for years with the”you won’t be able to recruit if your coach doesn’t have at least a 4 year deal” bs.
You’d have to think stansbury would be smarter than that given our financial situation. At least, I hope so

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I can't imagine they didn't have those very pointed internal discussions and discussions with counsel given that they went to the extent of a very formal external review of the situation and Pastner's actions. Sometimes the answer is simply there isn't a reasonable chance of a positive outcome the way you want it. Then you throw in using the rainy day fund to build a higher end FB staff and I bet Todd is glad he didn't go after Pastner right now. He doesn't have the funds to do it right - yet.

travgt01

Ramblin' Wreck
I can't imagine they didn't have those very pointed internal discussions and discussions with counsel given that they went to the extent of a very formal external review of the situation and Pastner's actions. Sometimes the answer is simply there isn't a reasonable chance of a positive outcome the way you want it. Then you throw in using the rainy day fund to build a higher end FB staff and I bet Todd is glad he didn't go after Pastner right now. He doesn't have the funds to do it right - yet.
Need better lawyers then. I’m sure contracts have been gotten out of with less. How much ammo does there have to be? Allowing his scumbag bagman access to the program, “supposedly” letting an asst coach go rouge and give cash and *** to a recruit, being accused of sexual harassment not to mention just flat out sucking on the court. We’re always on the *** end of this ****. Something is rotten in the gtaa and has been for a long time.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
It's funny to watch fans live in fantasy land while AD's have to operate in the real world of budgets and contracts.

I don't have a big issue with extending his contract one year after season 1. He came into a situation where he was expected to win fewer than 10 games and won 21 and made it to the NIT Championship. I've been following GT basketball for over 25 years and that was one of the 5 bets coaching jobs i've seen at GT. To not give him a raise and do nothing would have not looked great. Extending 1 year wasn't a huge deal in the grand scheme of things.

The idea that you are going to hire a lawyer and fire him and have a better situation has all sort of fallacies and irrational thought attach to it.

Contacts are pretty easy to read and know for coaches, most of them are available online.

Here is what would happen if you actually went down that course.
First, you'd probably spend 6 figures if not over $1MM on the case.
Second, you would lose the case. Pastner's lawyer would have all the ammunition he needed to win the case with the NCAA clearing Pastner. Having someone associated with the program who is scummy is hardly unique. Pretty much every school has that. World Wide Wes has an office down the hall from Calipari. One of the guys associated with the college scam was sitting behind the VT bench last week. We were just unlucky that it blew up in our face. The contract is quite specific in what can be cause to fire the HC and nothing that has happened so far meet the criteria.
After losing the case you would likely have to pay the buyout
Fourth, you would have no money to hire a new coach because you just layed out millions for a new FB staff and will probably be replacing the WBB coach and paying a large buyout to the BB coach.
Fifth, you would have a difficult time getting any coach to take the job after watching you go through a legal process to try to get rid of the other one and poisoning the well.

Like him or not, and people know where I stood on that when he was hired, he was always going to be here for 5 years unless something truly unexpected happened.

Firing him right now would be literally the worst decision GT could make and would likely set the program back another 5-7 years, letting it run for 2 more years likely puts you in a much better place. Much smaller buyout. Hopefully some solid upperclass talent. More money to truly play with. If we want to hire an new HC we need to be thinking $3MM yr. If we are not willing to lay that out then making a change makes little sense.
Maybe we get lucky and he actually works out the next 2 seasons. I'm not counting on it, but i'm not completely ruling it out either.

Keep in mind Hewitt was 15-16 in yr 3, lost Bosh to the NBA, lost Nelson to his GF at UConn and had no FR coming in, just a mid-year transfer from AZ named Will Bynum.
Do I think next years team is going to replicate that, no, but i'm not convinced it is going to be a bad season either. We just need to let it play out.

MWT89

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't have a big issue with extending his contract one year after season 1. He came into a situation where he was expected to win fewer than 10 games and won 21 and made it to the NIT Championship. I've been following GT basketball for over 25 years and that was one of the 5 bets coaching jobs i've seen at GT. To not give him a raise and do nothing would have not looked great. Extending 1 year wasn't a huge deal in the grand scheme of things.

I remember discussion after year one about the possibility of losing him to a bigger money / higher profile program. The extension seemed wise at the time.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
This type of thinking you point out is one that GT needs to stop. It is inherently damaging, negative, and destructive.

The reason for the extension was to reward a coach who came into a terrible situation and greatly exceeded expectations. If you don't then you're basically sending a message to every coach out there that you aren't going to give them support if they try to come in and fix the dumpster fire that the program would have to be for this extension to make a lick of difference anyways.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
The reason for the extension was to reward a coach who came into a terrible situation and greatly exceeded expectations. If you don't then you're basically sending a message to every coach out there that you aren't going to give them support if they try to come in and fix the dumpster fire that the program would have to be for this extension to make a lick of difference anyways.

My point was that we need to lose the attitude that someone will hire away our coaches if they are any good. I don't have a problem with Pastner getting a one year extension.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Josh Pastner will be around for another season or two i believe because i think his buyout is 8 million dollars.
Well, if having that going on in your program is not indicative of loss of institutional control, a fireable offense, I don't know what would be. And if Georgia Tech, a school that cries wolf before breakfast every morning, actually owes a basketball coach $8 million dollars for firing him ... I gather there is not a school of financial management at the Institute?

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I remember discussion after year one about the possibility of losing him to a bigger money / higher profile program. The extension seemed wise at the time.

I don't remember that line of thinking, unless it was hopeful that he'd succeed enough to prove himself worthy of getting the Arizona job at some point.

cyclejacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I haven't yet formed an opinion as to whether I want him gone or not. I may not renew my season tickets after 22 consecutive years given the state of our program. But I do have a hard time understanding why there is no "cause" involved here when one of his employees and direct reports is involved in NCAA recruiting violations.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
But I do have a hard time understanding why there is no "cause" involved here when one of his employees and direct reports is involved in NCAA recruiting violations.

Because Pastner wasn't the one who committed the recruiting violations. Also, DLab was a GT employee, not a Pastner employee.

GT11

GT Athlete
I haven't yet formed an opinion as to whether I want him gone or not. I may not renew my season tickets after 22 consecutive years given the state of our program. But I do have a hard time understanding why there is no "cause" involved here when one of his employees and direct reports is involved in NCAA recruiting violations.
Assistants are told the rules and take test on them. The head coach can’t watch them 24/7. Can a manager or owner watch their employees 24/7? No. You can only hope they do their best within the framework of the rules. When they don’t you do what needs to done, which is what done with DLAB