NCAA violations found at GT

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Don’t have a subscription or necessarily want the trial to download the app.
Can you sum up the article for us, Ryan? Thank you!

LawTalkin Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Contacts are pretty easy to read and know for coaches, most of them are available online.

Here is what would happen if you actually went down that course.
First, you'd probably spend 6 figures if not over $1MM on the case.
Second, you would lose the case. Pastner's lawyer would have all the ammunition he needed to win the case with the NCAA clearing Pastner. Having someone associated with the program who is scummy is hardly unique. Pretty much every school has that. World Wide Wes has an office down the hall from Calipari. One of the guys associated with the college scam was sitting behind the VT bench last week. We were just unlucky that it blew up in our face. The contract is quite specific in what can be cause to fire the HC and nothing that has happened so far meet the criteria.
After losing the case you would likely have to pay the buyout
Fourth, you would have no money to hire a new coach because you just layed out millions for a new FB staff and will probably be replacing the WBB coach and paying a large buyout to the BB coach.
Fifth, you would have a difficult time getting any coach to take the job after watching you go through a legal process to try to get rid of the other one and poisoning the well.

[/QUOTE]

I am not arguing with you, but did't Uconn fire Kevin Ollie for some random violations and try not to pay his buyout? I don't recall the result, but I do see that UConn has a good coach

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Contacts are pretty easy to read and know for coaches, most of them are available online.

Here is what would happen if you actually went down that course.
First, you'd probably spend 6 figures if not over $1MM on the case.
Second, you would lose the case. Pastner's lawyer would have all the ammunition he needed to win the case with the NCAA clearing Pastner. Having someone associated with the program who is scummy is hardly unique. Pretty much every school has that. World Wide Wes has an office down the hall from Calipari. One of the guys associated with the college scam was sitting behind the VT bench last week. We were just unlucky that it blew up in our face. The contract is quite specific in what can be cause to fire the HC and nothing that has happened so far meet the criteria.
After losing the case you would likely have to pay the buyout
Fourth, you would have no money to hire a new coach because you just layed out millions for a new FB staff and will probably be replacing the WBB coach and paying a large buyout to the BB coach.
Fifth, you would have a difficult time getting any coach to take the job after watching you go through a legal process to try to get rid of the other one and poisoning the well.

I am not arguing with you, but did't Uconn fire Kevin Ollie for some random violations and try not to pay his buyout? I don't recall the result, but I do see that UConn has a good coach[/QUOTE]

Uconn was able to fire ollie with cause because he was found by the NCAA to be personally responsible for the violations, therefore violating one of the terms of his contract and allowing him to be fired with cause.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Uconn was able to fire ollie with cause because he was found by the NCAA to be personally responsible for the violations, therefore violating one of the terms of his contract and allowing him to be fired with cause.

Yes but they have been in a lawsuit since they fired him. He's not going quietly and is choosing the school alot money, according if they lose.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Don’t have a subscription or necessarily want the trial to download the app.
Can you sum up the article for us, Ryan? Thank you!

It was an opinion piece outlining why the GT brand has been damaged by events related to Pastner, regardless of his innocence, and how it makes his long term status at GT tenuous.

I thought it was fairly written, in tone & fact, unlike the AJC hit piece.

I recommend everyone dump the AJC for The Athletic. Just a better form of sports coverage overall.

Someone please tell BuzzBomb my synopsis, since I know he has me on ignore.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
These columns by the ajc and athletic are just recapping what we all already know. This may eventually be huge news or nothing at all. Everything you read right now is almost certainly just one person's opinion.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
It was an opinion piece outlining why the GT brand has been damaged by events related to Pastner, regardless of his innocence, and how it makes his long term status at GT tenuous.

I recommend everyone dump the AJC for The Athletic. Just a better form of sports coverage overall.

Someone please tell BuzzBomb my synopsis, since I know he has me on ignore.

Preach, dt. Preach.

When I read the headline of the ajc piece (of sh*t), I knew not to read it.

And why's that dude got you on ignore? If anyone should ignore you, it should be me. Kinda mad he beat me to it. :smuggrin:

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

I don't think that the Magic City stuff has hurt the GT brand, but it would be hard for anyone to argue that the RB stuff hasn't had a negative impact on the public impression of GT basketball and CJP.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I don't think that the Magic City stuff has hurt the GT brand, but it would be hard for anyone to argue that the RB stuff hasn't had a negative impact on the public impression of GT basketball and CJP.

I agree about the strip club stuff. When you think of Atlanta & strip clubs, one thing comes to mind...

#404TheCulture

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Preach, dt. Preach.

When I read the headline of the ajc piece (of sh*t), I knew not to read it.

And why's that dude got you on ignore? If anyone should ignore you, it should be me. Kinda mad he beat me to it. :smuggrin:

We got in to it in some thread and said I was a bully or something. I think a women's hoops thread. You were there.

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck
giphy.gif
We got in to it in some thread and said I was a bully or something. I think a women's hoops thread. You were there.
https://media.giphy.com/media/dCB3VfFVAyScQGmWl7/giphy.gif

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Haha, so he had you pegged right then? #ShotsFired

Be honest, you're a bit of a bully. You probably owe him an apology.

Dtm right now: :rage:

More like ...

cute-fight.gif

Might be a bully. No intention of apologizing.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Couldn't agree more.. I made the switch to The Athletic about 10 months ago and haven't looked back.

Much better coverage and if you play Fantasy Sports, their advice columns are some of the best in the biz.

**** Ken and those other bozos at the AJC.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Couldn't agree more.. I made the switch to The Athletic about 10 months ago and haven't looked back.

Much better coverage and if you play Fantasy Sports, their advice columns are some of the best in the biz.

The Athletic has been great for breadth of coverage.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

Geez, c62. That's kinda skrong for you. I'd expect that outta dtm. You have to be the sunshine to his darkness or we're all lost.

Don't you have better things to do, such as come up with terrible takes that no one agrees with?

More people agree with my takes than you think or are willing to admit.