NCAA violations found at GT

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
If naivete was a fireable offense CJP would be gone by now. There is little doubt he was allowing people to get close to the program that he shouldn't have. Bobinski took the position he had to help CJP with things like hiring assistants as he needed help transitioning to being a head coach - especially in the ACC. My speculation is that if Bobinski had still been here he would have been hands on enough to be in the middle of who was part of the entourage and who shouldn't be. Again my speculation is Todd treated him like a head coach and didn't monitor who his naive new coach was associating with.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Bobinski took the position he had to help CJP with things like hiring assistants as he needed help transitioning to being a head coach - especially in the ACC. My speculation is that if Bobinski had still been here he would have been hands on enough to be in the middle of who was part of the entourage and who shouldn't be.

CJP was already a head coach before coming to GT. MBob didn't have a reputation for being involved even in the GTAA office. If you remember, after he left it was reported that his nickname in the GTAA office was Sasquatch. Why do you think he would have actually taken an active role in the basketball program?

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I'm expecting the hammer. Too much **** going on at more important programs for the NCAA to let this go. Bare minimum would be scholarship reductions. I'm expecting scholarship reductions and a post season ban next year.

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
CJP was already a head coach before coming to GT. MBob didn't have a reputation for being involved even in the GTAA office. If you remember, after he left it was reported that his nickname in the GTAA office was Sasquatch. Why do you think he would have actually taken an active role in the basketball program?
Bobinski was a basketball guy he had served on the tourney committee. He was heavily involved in the process of building Pastner's staff.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'm expecting the hammer. Too much **** going on at more important programs for the NCAA to let this go. Bare minimum would be scholarship reductions. I'm expecting scholarship reductions and a post season ban next year.

If there's a post-season ban, there will be a lot of scholarships available on The Flats.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer

I think it is well known that Bobinski took a very active role in hiring the initial staff for CJP which is why it took so long for it to come together. That part is pretty much fact. I fully admit is my speculation that CJP could have benefited from someone treating him like a young coach and telling him to get rid of the nutjob.

LibertyTurns

Banned
If there's a post-season ban, there will be a lot of scholarships available on The Flats.
What’s the difference between a post-season ban and never making the post-season, 4 months of heartache hoping we’ll “turn the corner”? Hey NCAA, I got an idea for you: pre-vacate our post-season wins for the next 4 seasons. That & $5 will get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks.

DCjacket

Georgia Tech Fan
It’s pretty obvious that cjp is here for at least another year.. if not, he would have been canned already. My question is what is he going to to do with his current staff? Im not sure if Wilkins or Schwartz can recruit much less coach up the current players..

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
What’s the difference between a post-season ban and never making the post-season, 4 months of heartache hoping we’ll “turn the corner”? Hey NCAA, I got an idea for you: pre-vacate our post-season wins for the next 4 seasons. That & $5 will get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks.

I'm not sure if it's only for APR cases or for any post-season ban, but if we get hit with that, I'm pretty sure kids can transfer with immediate eligibility.

If people were whiny *******s in the in-game chat with our current players, wait until the talent level drops significantly because of a post-season ban.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I'm not sure if it's only for APR cases or for any post-season ban, but if we get hit with that, I'm pretty sure kids can transfer with immediate eligibility.

If people were whiny *******s in the in-game chat with our current players, wait until the talent level drops significantly because of a post-season ban.
I’m hoping somehow we get out of this awful sports rut. Football is plagued by injury and transfer bug, we can’t recruit to save our life. Basketball we can’t recruit, can’t shoot and we start fouling before the game even starts. Baseball underperforms compared to our recruiting. We punish our student athletes & seemingly do everything we can to piss off fans/alums. We can’t manage coaching contracts. We even suck at cheating. We’re led to believe we have one of the cleanest programs in the nation, but we have more scandals than the dirtiest. Nuts I say.

Sebastian GT

Jolly Good Fellow
I’m worried and people high up in GTAA are too

If the Ron Bell stuff didn't exist and this was only about Labarrie and the strip club then I think it would be a lot easier to deal with but the Bell thing to me is a big problem and is a very bad look for Pastner and Tech. It makes Pastner look like a man with very bad judgement and that can easily be extrapolated to other areas of the program if someone (the NCAA?) wanted to do that. It's inexcusable that he allowed Bell to get this involved with the basketball program. The AA should have stepped in and put a stop to it. I find it hard to believe that no one in the athletic department questioned what was going on when it sounds like Bell was hanging out at Tech all the time and going on road trips with the team. Absolute incompetence!

It would be one thing if Bell was a long time supporter of Tech athletics and had donated a lot of time and money and was allowed to hang around more than the average fan/contributor but he's not. He's a convicted felon who's never contributed crap to Tech. Absolute stupidity on behalf the of the athletic department and the likely result is it will be even more difficult to recruit better players, possible probation/scholarship reductions etc... and even more years in basketball hell.

The recruiting and on court product has been bad enough but if we aren't going to fire him for performance then he should be fired for the Bell stuff. I know it wont happen because of the money but good grief!

tbglover

Ramblin' Wreck
Quite frankly I get that the NCAA bringing this stuff back up is annoying and frustrating but I'm annoyed by the media acting like this is a new story and people acting as if they didn't know about most of this stuff at this time last year. These aren't new allegations just a couple of new details thrown into stuff that we were aware of. I just wish that people would chill the hell out instead of going nuclear and thinking the worst about every little thing.

motynes

Jolly Good Fellow
I’ve been a Pastner supporter, but this is sounding more like Bell was a Pastner bag man. Pastner chose a scummy criminal drug addict to hand around the team. Now we have a second NCAA violation involving Bell. There is certainly enough circumstantial evidence to infer Pastner knowledge. I have done this a ton times in the courtroom. In fact there is a jury instruction in just about every jurisdiction about circumstantial evidence. And there is a ton of law that people can be convicted of criminal activity simply based on circumstantial evidence.

Pastner brought this POS around our young men. He deserves the same fate as LaBerrie. I’m am certain I could make a case to a jury that there was cause to fire Pastner.

Y’all need to take the gold color glasses off.