NCAA violations found at GT

LibertyTurns

Banned
I’ve been a Pastner supporter, but this is sounding more like Bell was a Pastner bag man. Pastner chose a scummy criminal drug addict to hand around the team. Now we have a second NCAA violation involving Bell. There is certainly enough circumstantial evidence to infer Pastner knowledge. I have done this a ton times in the courtroom. In fact there is a jury instruction in just about every jurisdiction about circumstantial evidence. And there is a ton of law that people can be convicted of criminal activity simply based on circumstantial evidence.

Pastner brought this POS around our young men. He deserves the same fate as LaBerrie. I’m am certain I could make a case to a jury that there was cause to fire Pastner.

Y’all need to take the gold color glasses off.
I’m not sure there’s anyone that really wants to hang onto him, just most understand the finances & can’t wrap our heads around paying another coach for 4 more years while not having enough $$ to hire any of those available capable of turning the program around. If GT keeps him, I really hope he finds a way but he was hired as a recruiting expert & South Bumfudge Community College is probably not where the top tier players hang out.

motynes

Jolly Good Fellow
I’m not sure there’s anyone that really wants to hang onto him, just most understand the finances & can’t wrap our heads around paying another coach for 4 more years while not having enough $$ to hire any of those available capable of turning the program around. If GT keeps him, I really hope he finds a way but he was hired as a recruiting expert & South Bumfudge Community College is probably not where the top tier players hang out.

There is certainly enough evidence that Josh violated NCAA rules to show preponderance of evidence. I had typed out a long examples of how circumstial evidence is used in many contested, articles including to send people to prison, but apparently after 10 minutes of typing the website times out and I lost it all. Don’t feel like doing it again.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Whether you like Pastner or hate him, he is not likely leaving unless there is something yet to be revealed in the media.

If KQ is correct (and I think he probably is) this is a wrap up from the the violations we already heard about. LaBarrie is gone. The Ron Bell transgressions have been punished by the NCAA already.

If you want to see the worst in this, have at it.

Jacket4Life

Jolly Good Fellow
Anyway you look at it CJP was a bad hire. Nothing good has come out of his time here. His so called strength as a recruiter has proven to be false. It's pretty apparent when a first year coach in the same state in the SEC is out recruiting an ACC school in basketball.

SuperToe

Georgia Tech Fan
I opened up the Chattanooga paper this morning and saw the following headline in the sports section: "Jackets accused of major offenses". I knew I shouldn't have wished on that monkey's paw for Tech to make it to the front page!

The narrative that this is "old news" is false. Most people don't participate in forums like this one or subscribe to insider reports. The reasons for LaBarrie' suspension had not been reported by newspapers, TV, etc. before now. Many of the Bell accusations had been reported, but Tech's internal investigation cleared Pastner of any wrongdoing.

I hope that the punishment is light, given the steps Tech has already taken. However, I take reports such as Quinlan's with a grain of salt, given that they are coming from insiders at the GTAA. Tech has a history of underestimating NCAA punishments.

Pastner may skate on punishment here, but it's not clear to me that he's totally innocent in this matter. I suspect others may feel the same. Even if we avoid scholarship reductions or a postseason ban, this makes Pastner's seat even hotter next season. Crean's recruiting coup won't help, either.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I’ve been a Pastner supporter, but this is sounding more like Bell was a Pastner bag man. Pastner chose a scummy criminal drug addict to hand around the team. Now we have a second NCAA violation involving Bell. There is certainly enough circumstantial evidence to infer Pastner knowledge. I have done this a ton times in the courtroom. In fact there is a jury instruction in just about every jurisdiction about circumstantial evidence. And there is a ton of law that people can be convicted of criminal activity simply based on circumstantial evidence.

Pastner brought this POS around our young men. He deserves the same fate as LaBerrie. I’m am certain I could make a case to a jury that there was cause to fire Pastner.

Y’all need to take the gold color glasses off.

What second NCAA violation involving Bell are referring to? The Notice of Allegations can be found here: http://lynda.gatech.edu/hg/file/235758 There are three allegations in the notice:

1. LaBarrie facilitated impermissible recruiting contact between a recruit and a "representative of the institution's athletics interests". Including residences, a strip club, and a restaurant. The recruit and a student-athlete were $332 each in impermissible benefits.
  2. Labarrie:
    1. Lied about the above recruiting trip.
    2. Asked the student-athlete to change his story.
    3. Lied about asking the student-athlete to change his story.
  3. R** B*** (who is described as a GT booster):
    1. Provided impermissible benefits to two student-athletes
    2. Provided impermissible benefits(shoes) to an athlete at another school and told him he should transfer to GT.
    3. Provided impermissible benefits(airline tickets) to that student-athlete(at another school) which were later cancelled.
    4. Sent text messages to that student-athlete(at another school) urging him to transfer to GT.

The extent of the LaBarrie violations weren't known of before. As to RB, violation 3.1 was known from just before the 2017-2018 season. Violations 3.3 and 3.4 have been known of for at least about 9 months. I guess you can say that providing the shoes to the Memphis player, 3.3, wasn't known before. Is that what you are referring to?

The notice of allegations specifically does not include allegations of: Lack of Institutional Control, or Lack of Head Coach Control. This is the document at the end of the NCAA investigation, which has taken about 1.5 years. If they had found the the GTAA or Pastner had done something wrong, this is the document that would have made those allegations.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
There is certainly enough evidence that Josh violated NCAA rules to show preponderance of evidence. I had typed out a long examples of how circumstial evidence is used in many contested, articles including to send people to prison, but apparently after 10 minutes of typing the website times out and I lost it all. Don’t feel like doing it again.

And we thank you for that.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
What second NCAA violation involving Bell are referring to? The Notice of Allegations can be found here: http://lynda.gatech.edu/hg/file/235758 There are three allegations in the notice:

1. LaBarrie facilitated impermissible recruiting contact between a recruit and a "representative of the institution's athletics interests". Including residences, a strip club, and a restaurant. The recruit and a student-athlete were $332 each in impermissible benefits.
  2. Labarrie:
    2. Provided impermissible benefits(shoes) to an athlete at another school and told him he should transfer to GT.
    3. Provided impermissible benefits(airline tickets) to that student-athlete(at another school) which were later cancelled.
    4. Sent text messages to that student-athlete(at another school) urging him to transfer to GT.

The extent of the LaBarrie violations weren't known of before. As to RB, violation 3.1 was known from just before the 2017-2018 season. Violations 3.3 and 3.4 have been known of for at least about 9 months. I guess you can say that providing the shoes to the Memphis player, 3.3, wasn't known before. Is that what you are referring to?

The notice of allegations specifically does not include allegations of: Lack of Institutional Control, or Lack of Head Coach Control. This is the document at the end of the NCAA investigation, which has taken about 1.5 years. If they had found the the GTAA or Pastner had done something wrong, this is the document that would have made those allegations.
This is a great post.

1- LaBarrie was removed from the GT staff. Moore was suspended for two games.
2- This is an allegation Labarrie denies.
3- The players were already punished for this.

The real issue is whether GT can successfully show that RB was acting independent of GT and was a booster only in his own mind.

GT11

GT Athlete

2. Labarrie:

Dlab issues were known to those who needed to know. Nothing is new in any of this

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Dlab issues were known to those who needed to know. Nothing is new in any of this

I only meant that the extent of the issues were not publicly known. GT self reported the violations and suspended DLab. There were plenty of people who were confused as to why DLab was treated as roughly by the GTAA as he was. The allegations of lying and then pressuring the student-athlete to lie helps make more sense of why he was suspended until he resigned. It could also have something to do with why that student-athletes performance withered and he eventually transferred. Not saying anything negative about Dlab, the coaches that remained, this student-athlete, or the other players, but being at the center of such a circumstance could develop mistrust for any or all of the above.

Deleted member 2897

GT didn’t self report DLAB. Duke and Mrs. Carter reported it to keep the NCAA off of them. Kind of hard to explain how both parents haven’t worked in years but it’s easy when you’ve been paid by a few agents and somehow buy a new house right near Duke.

Duke’s ex-players In the NBA do a fantastic job of keeping everything invisible. It’s not that difficult really for folks like them. They just stay away from school and communicate on the side with the families. The coaches don’t even have to know anything. And the operation hums along with no evidence that can incriminate the staff.

Deleted member 2897

There’s a large group of people who do including me.

We’ve finally got a good nucleus coming back, and a reasonable group of talent. I’m expecting we win 20 games. All we need is to not lose a couple games to the Gardner Webb’s of the world, and beat a couple more bottom half teams. We’re not that far away.

Now having said that. We finally have about everyone back - if we don’t improve next year, that will be a bad sign.

lauraee

Helluva Engineer
GT didn’t self report DLAB. Duke and Mrs. Carter reported it to keep the NCAA off of them. Kind of hard to explain how both parents haven’t worked in years but it’s easy when you’ve been paid by a few agents and somehow buy a new house right near Duke.
Well I don't know why puke & her bit€hiness felt the need to throw tech under the bus. Ncaa not interested in puke or ever investigating them. That **** with houses & "employing" parents in Durham has been going on for years.
I really wish puke gets bounced early.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Well I don't know why puke & her bit€hiness felt the need to throw tech under the bus. Ncaa not interested in puke or ever investigating them. That **** with houses & "employing" parents in Durham has been going on for years.
I really wish puke gets bounced early.

1672CEA3-943B-416D-80BF-FED5E1695C3E.jpeg

MidtownJacket

Staff member

Welcome back man. We’ve missed your input

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
There’s a large group of people who do including me.

We’ve finally got a good nucleus coming back, and a reasonable group of talent. I’m expecting we win 20 games. All we need is to not lose a couple games to the Gardner Webb’s of the world, and beat a couple more bottom half teams. We’re not that far away.

Now having said that. We finally have about everyone back - if we don’t improve next year, that will be a bad sign.

I've kind of soured but whether you want to hang on to him or not - the net effect is the same. Finances control this situation - plus a legit argument he gets another year to show what he can do. But if we don't "improve" next year - however you want to define that - it is indeed a very bad sign. We will be a year older and all that but we still have a lot of open questions on most of our players and are again looking for a major impact from a first year contributor. Lot of things have to go right. We'll see.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
For all your guys who project all this talent "coming back" for a tourney run, let's wait and see who actually is here when the season starts or even maybe 2nd semester.This new crap may be only a rehash but it only stirs the pot more and it can't be good for the future.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I’ve been a Pastner supporter, but this is sounding more like Bell was a Pastner bag man. Pastner chose a scummy criminal drug addict to hand around the team. Now we have a second NCAA violation involving Bell. There is certainly enough circumstantial evidence to infer Pastner knowledge. I have done this a ton times in the courtroom. In fact there is a jury instruction in just about every jurisdiction about circumstantial evidence. And there is a ton of law that people can be convicted of criminal activity simply based on circumstantial evidence..... I’m am certain I could make a case to a jury that there was cause to fire Pastner.

I'm sure you could make a case. You'd also lose it.

Regardless it's a moot point. GT isn't going to risk that situation after conducting it's own investigation and having it find Pastner not responsible.