NCAA violations found at GT

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
If GT were winning then the nonsense that is happening at strip clubs and with the nutjob would simply be weird and humorous diversions. When you aren't winning then it simply feeds the impression that the coach ain't gonna be here a lot longer. Takes a lot of digging by a recruit to get a true idea that CJP will be here another couple of years. They are not going to do that.

Grad transfers are only looking one year out so I don't think that is an issue. But HS recruiting is going to be a lot harder until something changes the halo around the program.

GTFLETCH

Banned
Exerpts from the Athletic article: (It is worth the subscription to read about Georgia Tech)

Remember, this is his program. Everything that happens in it is a reflection on him. Also the school. Also the athletics director, Todd Stansbury, who’s in the midst of a major fundraising initiative, updating facilities, rebranding the school, trying to rally fans and alumni and help football head coach Geoff Collins with everything he needs to win. One more issue: Georgia Tech recently suspended women’s basketball head coach MaChelle Joseph for undisclosed reasons, a personnel matter, prompting Joseph to retain an attorney who has been firing back on her behalf.

Remember: Pastner was hired by previous athletics director Mike Bobinski, not Stansbury. Coaches inherited have less security than coaches hired. CJP’s best season has been with Brian Gregory’s players. Think about that, considering the mess Gregory inherited and how much he was banged on for recruiting.

But let’s assume Pastner is completely innocent and that he split with Bell and placed LaBarrie on administrative leave (later firing him) as soon as he became aware of their respective actions. Let’s even assume the best-case scenario: The NCAA declares, “Nothing to see here” and lets Georgia Tech off completely or slaps the program with only minor penalties.

It still might not matter. Pastner’s building efforts will have been set back further, the brand will have been damaged by bad PR, and Stansbury likely is going to wonder if he has the right coach to fix things. There have been too many bad headlines in a short amount of time.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
It still might not matter. Pastner’s building efforts will have been set back further, the brand will have been damaged by bad PR, and Stansbury likely is going to wonder if he has the right coach to fix things. There have been too many bad headlines in a short amount of time.

This is the part that sums up where I've stood on the issue since the Bell stuff came to light.

Unfortunately, the money situation is what it is especially after the football hire(s). There is no 'cause' here so no need to even discuss that piece. The added dagger to the gut is, due to the controversy (controversies), we won't even be able to luck into getting saved like MEM did.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Exerpts from the Athletic article: (It is worth the subscription to read about Georgia Tech)

Remember, this is his program. Everything that happens in it is a reflection on him. Also the school. Also the athletics director, Todd Stansbury, who’s in the midst of a major fundraising initiative, updating facilities, rebranding the school, trying to rally fans and alumni and help football head coach Geoff Collins with everything he needs to win. One more issue: Georgia Tech recently suspended women’s basketball head coach MaChelle Joseph for undisclosed reasons, a personnel matter, prompting Joseph to retain an attorney who has been firing back on her behalf.

Remember: Pastner was hired by previous athletics director Mike Bobinski, not Stansbury. Coaches inherited have less security than coaches hired. CJP’s best season has been with Brian Gregory’s players. Think about that, considering the mess Gregory inherited and how much he was banged on for recruiting.

But let’s assume Pastner is completely innocent and that he split with Bell and placed LaBarrie on administrative leave (later firing him) as soon as he became aware of their respective actions. Let’s even assume the best-case scenario: The NCAA declares, “Nothing to see here” and lets Georgia Tech off completely or slaps the program with only minor penalties.

Headlines? Yes.

The LaBarrie outing to Cheetah happen more than two years ago. The weekend in Tucson was almost two years ago. If my interpretation is correct, the LaBarrie prevarications were over a year ago. Unless we get serious penalties this will pass. If we do not start winning more frequently, Pastner will be coaching somewhere else or not at all. If we do start winning, the HS kids will want to join the program regardless of what the NCAA does.

We got caught doing something a lot of teams are doing. The fact that the Carter family turned us in is weird and I do not understand what motivated them. Certainly we were not the only school to stretch the bounds with their son.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Headlines? Yes.

The LaBarrie outing to Cheetah happen more than two years ago. The weekend in Tucson was almost two years ago. If my interpretation is correct, the LaBarrie prevarications were over a year ago. Unless we get serious penalties this will pass. If we do not start winning more frequently, Pastner will be coaching somewhere else or not at all. If we do start winning, the HS kids will want to join the program regardless of what the NCAA does.

We got caught doing something a lot of teams are doing. The fact that the Carter family turned us in is weird and I do not understand what motivated them. Certainly we were not the only school to stretch the bounds with their son.

You could take a pretty solid swing at what (or who) motivated them

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
The fact that the Carter family turned us in is weird and I do not understand what motivated them. Certainly we were not the only school to stretch the bounds with their son.

Per a conversation with Mrs Carter, they reported everything out of the ordinary that happened during Wendell's recruitment. Two of those instances have come to light. No clue how many more there were

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This is the part that sums up where I've stood on the issue since the Bell stuff came to light.

Unfortunately, the money situation is what it is especially after the football hire(s). There is no 'cause' here so no need to even discuss that piece. The added dagger to the gut is, due to the controversy (controversies), we won't even be able to luck into getting saved like MEM did.

I agree. None of this helps. Doesn't mean he won't succeed but it won't make it easier to succeed.
Pastner was given a contract that basically was going to guarantee him 5 years of time to prove himself. Nothing has changed in that regard. He has 2 more seasons.

To me the next 12 months will be the make or break for him. First he will need to have a strong recruiting class in the fall (and we'll see what happens this spring as well since he has up to 2 schollies he could use) and then how does the team perform next season. Even if the returns are negative I expect him to return unless he both fails to land a good recruiting class and is under .500 on the season. Then maybe GT will consider making a move, but i'm pretty settled with the notion he will be here 5 years.

My only comment is one i've been making for a while. Don't make a change unless you are dedicated to having a winning program.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
You had me here ...
I agree...

But seriously ...
My only comment is one i've been making for a while. Don't make a change unless you are dedicated to having a winning program.

Agreed. If we're (finally) gonna get in the game, let's really get in the game and stopped tryna trick the game by sticking a toe in hoping to get splashed.

joehamiltonfan14

Jolly Good Fellow
I agree. None of this helps. Doesn't mean he won't succeed but it won't make it easier to succeed.
Pastner was given a contract that basically was going to guarantee him 5 years of time to prove himself. Nothing has changed in that regard. He has 2 more seasons.

To me the next 12 months will be the make or break for him. First he will need to have a strong recruiting class in the fall (and we'll see what happens this spring as well since he has up to 2 schollies he could use) and then how does the team perform next season. Even if the returns are negative I expect him to return unless he both fails to land a good recruiting class and is under .500 on the season. Then maybe GT will consider making a move, but i'm pretty settled with the notion he will be here 5 years.

Thanks for your analysis, Red, as always. Do you have an opinion on why Pastner has struggled to recruit? Especially given Crean’s early success?

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
We didn't stretch the right bounds or pay the right piper or whatever figure of speech you choose to use. We weren't going to win a bidding war with $300 in unmarked bills.
Curiosity question.

Would it have been OK with NCAA for LaBarrie and Jack to treat Carter and Moore to a fun night at Dave and Buster's?