NCAA violations found at GT

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Thanks for your analysis, Red, as always. Do you have an opinion on why Pastner has struggled to recruit? Especially given Crean’s early success?

Yes,
The combination of the Ron Bell issues, Labarrie, losing both LaBarrie and Hardy and a poor season 2 sort of killed all momentum in recruiting.

Also, UGA and GT are not quite recruiting the same way. (read into that what you will).

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Headlines? Yes.

The LaBarrie outing to Cheetah happen more than two years ago. The weekend in Tucson was almost two years ago. If my interpretation is correct, the LaBarrie prevarications were over a year ago. Unless we get serious penalties this will pass. If we do not start winning more frequently, Pastner will be coaching somewhere else or not at all. If we do start winning, the HS kids will want to join the program regardless of what the NCAA does.

We got caught doing something a lot of teams are doing. The fact that the Carter family turned us in is weird and I do not understand what motivated them. Certainly we were not the only school to stretch the bounds with their son.
How about the lunch carter's mom had with Adidas during his recruitment. After he signed with Duke there was a newspaper article in the Durham paper that said she viewed the college basketball system as a form of slavery for the players. Now she can turn her criticism toward the NBA.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
To me it is a shame that all this crap from Ron Bell/DLab has fallen on coach. Coach was certainly naive in letting Bell around him, but to me that is not something that should drown his career. Bell was like a tar baby that JP could not get rid of which really screwed up coach's chances of succeeding. I am sure it is a lesson well learned. The best thing for everyone involved is to get all these issues out in the open where they can be aired out and let the cards fall where they may. Personally, I hope that Pastner can pull through all of this in the next 2 years. And IF he does, I think we will have a good coach who will be forever grateful to GT and our AD for sticking by him in these turbulent times.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

GT11

GT Athlete
To me it is a shame that all this crap from Ron Bell/DLab has fallen on coach. Coach was certainly naive in letting Bell around him, but to me that is not something that should drown his career. Bell was like a tar baby that JP could not get rid of which really screwed up coach's chances of succeeding. I am sure it is a lesson well learned. The best thing for everyone involved is to get all these issues out in the open where they can be aired out and let the cards fall where they may. Personally, I hope that Pastner can pull through all of this in the next 2 years. And IF he does, I think we will have a good coach who will be forever grateful to GT and our AD for sticking by him in these turbulent times.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk
Very well stated

GT_EE78

Banned
Curiosity question.

Would it have been OK with NCAA for LaBarrie and Jack to treat Carter and Moore to a fun night at Dave and Buster's?
Never heard of Dave and Buster but maybe next time just give them 300 for Chuck E Cheese and the Whack-a-moles ....?

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
How about the lunch carter's mom had with Adidas during his recruitment. After he signed with Duke there was a newspaper article in the Durham paper that said she viewed the college basketball system as a form of slavery for the players. Now she can turn her criticism toward the NBA.

I have a serious question. If GT is found to have committed serious level 1 violations by providing impermissible benefits to a recruit (Wendell Carter), shouldn't Duke then have to vacate games Carter played in because they used a player that accepted impermissible benefits? During the Memphis case, the NCAA made very clear that strict liability applied, and it was not required to show that the Duke coaching staff needed to have either any involvement or even knowledge. Simply playing a kid who should have been ineligible was enough. If GT gets slapped for that, how can Duke not?

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I have a serious question. If GT is found to have committed serious level 1 violations by providing impermissible benefits to a recruit (Wendell Carter), shouldn't Duke then have to vacate games Carter played in because they used a player that accepted impermissible benefits? During the Memphis case, the NCAA made very clear that strict liability applied, and it was not required to show that the Duke coaching staff needed to have either any involvement or even knowledge. Simply playing a kid who should have been ineligible was enough. If GT gets slapped for that, how can Duke not?

I fully support this. **** dook!

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I fully support this. **** dook!

You know what would be a great business for aspiring investigative sports writers? Hunt down wildly known "rumors" in the sports world and expose them.

First one they should go after: Duke and the parental housing plan. Apparently there's an affluent neighborhood in the Durham area with homes that are "executive level" homes. It's also a neighborhood that houses multiple parents of basketball players. I think this one is so widely known it's become a bit of a farce.

Second one they should go after: How "poor" college athletes can afford to those expensive tattoos...

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
You know what would be a great business for aspiring investigative sports writers? Hunt down wildly known "rumors" in the sports world and expose them.

First one they should go after: Duke and the parental housing plan. Apparently there's an affluent neighborhood in the Durham area with homes that are "executive level" homes. It's also a neighborhood that houses multiple parents of basketball players. I think this one is so widely known it's become a bit of a farce.

Second one they should go after: How "poor" college athletes can afford to those expensive tattoos...

You tryna get somebody buried under one-a those houses, ya know.

Deleted member 2897

I know, I wondered this out loud a couple years ago with bagmen and player cutting practices and the like around college football. There are enough kids that were turned into roadkill that would talk to you, that someone could really make a name for themselves in the journalism world by doing/uncovering/exposing this stuff.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
A reporter (Dan?) at the News & Observer (Raleigh, NC paper) has done that. He exposed the UNC football - agent issue. Then he exposed the AFAM academic fraud issue. Sadly, the NCAA could care less, so it's not such a lucrative business. :(

presjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I know, I wondered this out loud a couple years ago with bagmen and player cutting practices and the like around college football. There are enough kids that were turned into roadkill that would talk to you, that someone could really make a name for themselves in the journalism world by doing/uncovering/exposing this stuff.

A reporter (Dan?) at the News & Observer (Raleigh, NC paper) has done that. He exposed the UNC football - agent issue. Then he exposed the AFAM academic fraud issue. Sadly, the NCAA could care less, so it's not such a lucrative business. :(

He made such a name for himself that you can't recall it. And neither can I. And who was the reporter who exposed the Sandusky crimes and Penn State turning the blind eye?

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Academic fraud was exposed at UNC when Butch Davis was running the football scam. The NCAA was snooping around their Aa. A staff member named Mary Willingham went public with info along with another prof. They have sense written a book. What they did was very career limiting and she has moved on. Not sure about the guy. I live near Duke and if what you say about athlete parents houses is true then it is a well kept secret here. That is first I have heard of it.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Would have applied if he had signed with us.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
He made such a name for himself that you can't recall it. And neither can I. And who was the reporter who exposed the Sandusky crimes and Penn State turning the blind eye?

I remember the late 80's when a UK assistant coach sent money to a recruit's father in a FedEx envelope that came open along the way. The whole ugly mess, which led to sanctions against the school's basketball program, was discussed in great detail by the Lexington Herald-Ledger. The response of most of the fan base was to cancel their subscriptions to the paper.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I remember the late 80's when a UK assistant coach sent money to a recruit's father in a FedEx envelope that came open along the way. The whole ugly mess, which led to sanctions against the school's basketball program, was discussed in great detail by the Lexington Herald-Ledger. The response of most of the fan base was to cancel their subscriptions to the paper.

#CancelAJC