NCAA denies waivers for Clayton, Ezzard; Sims granted immediate eligibility

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Civil disobedience has a long and hallowed history in this country. I wonder if any aggrieved school ever disobeyed a waiver denial and played a player anyway. For example, what if Tech ignored the NCAA’s ruling and played Clayton in the Tech-Clemson game after the game was already decided? Suppose that Clemson was up 49 to 7 to start the 4th quarter and Clayton entered the game. If the sanctions were limited only to a “forfeit” of any game in which an ineligible player plays, so what? It would provide an exceptional platform to give national exposure to the arbitrary actions of the NCAA. It’s a nice day to daydream...

If Tech dared to do this Tech would probably be banned from playing further games this season and maybe next season also.

If Bama did it the player would get the waiver and an apology.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Since people keep asking, can someone provide a quick summary for Clayton’s reason for getting the waiver. I think we need some clarity as a group.

Clayton's mom got sick. He decided to transfer to be closer. His house lies ~130 miles away from GT and so falls outside the 100 mile radius limit. Some argue that limit shouldn't apply because there is no P5 school within that distance. However, that isn't based on anything in the actual rules and it relies on an interpretation of the purpose of the rule that is questionable in my opinion.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Of course they don't. Because that would open them up to scrutiny. As it is, they can make these vague, inconsistent decisions and when backlash comes they just blame it on fans being fans.

I have no idea why the kid transferring to VPI (to be close to his mom who has a non-cancerous brain tumor) had his waiver denied on the same day the Solomon kid's waiver was approved.

I haven't verified this but a caller on an cfb show on XM said the dad of the VPI guy said the NCAA asked why the mom hadn't retired from her job. Seemingly implying that, if the brain tumor was so serious (that the kid needed to transfer to be near her), why is she still working.

I hope that's not true. I'd be pissed if I was that family.

We don't know the details because of HIPAA and privacy laws. Also, the medical issue IRT to the student who transferred to VPI was from 2017. A fan on one of the message boards said the question was likely why wait two years to move closer?

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
In the broad numbers. Overall, a high % of transfers do NOT get waivers. It's an exception for a reason. If it was common, it wouldn't be noted as an exception.

I hope the NCAA is ready to make this argument in court because they are begging for a class action lawsuit. And I think they will lose their case.

High percentages overall does not prove there are not inconsistencies that are unfairly detrimental to the involved student athletes. As you said, with privacy laws we don’t know all the facts. It’s possible the NCAA is being very thorough. It doesn’t pass the smell test though. The NCAA better be documenting everything extremely thoroughly or they could get raked over the coals in court.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I hope the NCAA is ready to make this argument in court because they are begging for a class action lawsuit. And I think they will lose their case.

High percentages overall does not prove there are not inconsistencies that are unfairly detrimental to the involved student athletes. As you said, with privacy laws we don’t know all the facts. It’s possible the NCAA is being very thorough. It doesn’t pass the smell test though. The NCAA better be documenting everything extremely thoroughly or they could get raked over the coals in court.

I'm positive that the NCAA retains legal counsel on their part and everything is documented. While you and I might not like the decisions handed down, we have no way of really knowing why the decisions were made. That's really the irritation in this. Without the transparency, it's easy to lob stones, but you can't have transparency with HIPAA and Privacy Laws.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I'm positive that the NCAA retains legal counsel on their part and everything is documented. While you and I might not like the decisions handed down, we have no way of really knowing why the decisions were made. That's really the irritation in this. Without the transparency, it's easy to lob stones, but you can't have transparency with HIPAA and Privacy Laws.

Smell test it. Solomon etc. It smells bad. When it smells bad it quite often is bad.

D-man44

Helluva Engineer
How the NCAA decided these waivers
source.gif

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Man I’m watching the network now and they have Manny Diaz on talking about how great the portal has been.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Manny Diaz should be forced to sit out from coaching (leaving Miami down a coach) after what he pulled on Temple. Also, Tathan shouldn't be playing this year because he got himself made "persona non grata" status at OSU by talking smack about his team's new starting QB when Fields announced his transfer. The coaches wanted to run him off because he was bad for team chemistry all on his own doing.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
Smell test it. Solomon etc. It smells bad. When it smells bad it quite often is bad.

I'm a big believer in analytics and have leveraged our Advanced Analytics team at work to do some analysis for me. Surely someone here on this board has the background to do some analysis of all the successful transfers and see if there's some kind of trend.

You can always skew statistics to say what you want, but it'd be really funny if the analysis showed that if you're a P5 guy going to a PP5 team (Powerful Power 5 team, like an OU, UF, tOSU, etc.) then your chances for an immediate waiver are 58% greater than the reverse or a direct P5 to P5.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
We don't know the details because of HIPAA and privacy laws. Also, the medical issue IRT to the student who transferred to VPI was from 2017. A fan on one of the message boards said the question was likely why wait two years to move closer?

Stahhp

' Cause we've never seen anyone's medical condition worsen over time.

Anyone who'd even ask is an a**.

GoGATech

Jolly Good Fellow
Apparently you haven't read up on the situation. He was playing at Coastal Carolina, a 2* recruit. He could've just quit school and moved back home at that time, or he could've given up football and move closer to home and now pay for school at a time when the family is piling up medical bills. Or he could stay put and keep the financial burden off his family, then when he has some experience coupled with the transfer portal, the loosening of transfer rules, and the wave of approvals, he tests the waters and gets an offer to go to VT, which is half the distance away from home. That's why he waited 2 years.

GoGATech

Jolly Good Fellow
Brock Hoffman's family is reported to be seeking legal advice to build a case against the NCAA.