NCAA denies waivers for Clayton, Ezzard; Sims granted immediate eligibility

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
AugustaJacket: Mmm, seems fair.

It's easy to claim something is unfair when you're only getting one side of the story. The NCAA and the review board are not allowed to explain their decisions, usually due to privacy law, and so you only get the side of the SA being told. If you're only hearing the side of the SA, it's easy to assume there is this vast conspiracy to only grant waivers to factory kids. The problem is that there is documented evidence of factory kids sitting a year and non-factory waivers granted. It's easy to pile on the NCAA. Everyone get the pitchforks, tar, and feathers ready to march.

OR, you can admit that there are some good and honest men and women looking through lots of requests and making hard decisions about who gets a waiver based on a much more complete set of evidence than what we see as the general public. That's not an unreasonable assumption, and is far more plausible than the former. There are rules in place, and these people do their level best to navigate them and ensure the integrity of the rule as well as the best interests of the student athlete. A lot of people are making accusations on the integrity of the people with no basis for the accusation other than a result that they don't like.

While it has it's uses, the court of public opinion should never outweigh the court of law (in this case the rules). If we want to change the rules, then let's work to change the rules. Pitching fits about how unfair things are is juvenile.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
It's easy to claim something is unfair when you're only getting one side of the story. The NCAA and the review board are not allowed to explain their decisions, usually due to privacy law, and so you only get the side of the SA being told. If you're only hearing the side of the SA, it's easy to assume there is this vast conspiracy to only grant waivers to factory kids. The problem is that there is documented evidence of factory kids sitting a year and non-factory waivers granted. It's easy to pile on the NCAA. Everyone get the pitchforks, tar, and feathers ready to march.

OR, you can admit that there are some good and honest men and women looking through lots of requests and making hard decisions about who gets a waiver based on a much more complete set of evidence than what we see as the general public. That's not an unreasonable assumption, and is far more plausible than the former. There are rules in place, and these people do their level best to navigate them and ensure the integrity of the rule as well as the best interests of the student athlete. A lot of people are making accusations on the integrity of the people with no basis for the accusation other than a result that they don't like.

While it has it's uses, the court of public opinion should never outweigh the court of law (in this case the rules). If we want to change the rules, then let's work to change the rules. Pitching fits about how unfair things are is juvenile.

I wouldn't say folks at the ncaa are bad people. The system is just rotten. Politicians probably start out honest, too.

gtwcf

Ramblin' Wreck

My issue is the rules changed post Tate Martell because of the blowback they got. And it was retroactively implemented with people who were already in the portal or already transferred when the rule changed.

It also appears that Michigan was getting a lot of blowback from the media and other coaches, which seemed to release that logjam of denied waivers.

IMO, it should be pretty easy to tell who should get waivers and who shouldn't. There is way too much subjectivity, which makes me think it should be 1 freebie + 1 additional if you graduate with eligibility remaining. Then there isn't a backlog at the NCAA trying to process everything and makes it cleaner for both the student athlete, the coaches, and the guys in the desert.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

I'm not sure why you think this is something you need to constantly defend. I don't think any of us care as much as you think we do.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sure why you think this is something you need to constantly defend. I don't think any of us care as much as you think we do.

I definitely think the system is corrupt, but yeah, sports fans blowing off steam shouldn't be taken personally or even literally. The good folks of the ncaa are well compensated and I doubt their feelings are hurt by our comments. I will save my sympathy for young men like Hoffman and Clayton. Rushing in to defend the people with all the power is weird to me.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I definitely think the system is corrupt, but yeah, sports fans blowing off steam shouldn't be taken personally or even literally. The good folks of the ncaa are well compensated and I doubt their feelings are hurt by our comments. I will save my sympathy for young men like Hoffman and Clayton. Rushing in to defend the people with all the power is weird to me.

Exactly.

Deleted member 2897

Because we know enough of the details of what's going on. Look at that letter above.

I find it funny you accuse others of "making accusations on the integrity of people with no basis" when you just made up that entire paragraph. You have no idea what's going on up there. Given all the NCAA scandals and all the information that has come out on cheating across all kinds of sports like basketball and the NCAA has done nothing, I think its a reasonable assumption to assume the worse.

Last edited by a moderator:

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
How about for the medical rule: within 100 miles OR (within 200 miles AND at least 100 miles closer than prior University)?

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer

You seem to blindly trust that the NCAA is inherently just and good, when there is so much evidence over the past couple decades that directly contradicts this view. I really don’t get why you’re so willing to give them the benefit of the doubt on this.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Manny Diaz should be forced to sit out from coaching (leaving Miami down a coach) after what he pulled on Temple. Also, Tathan shouldn't be playing this year because he got himself made "persona non grata" status at OSU by talking smack about his team's new starting QB when Fields announced his transfer. The coaches wanted to run him off because he was bad for team chemistry all on his own doing.
He pretty much sat out the opener. IMHO

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I wouldn't expect @Augusta_Jacket to be posting much for the next couple of days as he tries to figure out how he and the rest of the committee respond to this letter.

(y)

It's not that I like defending the NCAA. There is MUCH I'd like to see changed about it, but there are rules in place for a reason, and abandoning rules is not generally a good idea. Maybe this is the tipping point to see real meaningful change in the NCAA transfer policy. Hopefully so. I also hope we don't end up regretting the unintended consequences that come with the change.

At this point there is no recourse for our players unless parents mount a sizable and quick legal challenge. Even then, it's likely that all it would do is by an additional year of eligibility, as this year would be in the rear view mirror. I'd like to see that.

And that's what I said 20 pages ago, or even in another thread, when I tried to tell everyone that it was highly doubtful any of these guys were gonna play this year. If not for the UM debacle in the way they handled their transfers, we most likely wouldn't even have Sims for this year. Everyone told me I was nuts though, and that the NCAA would easily grant waivers for these cases. Al I've attempted to do is point out to everyone on this board that there is a process, and that process has been in place for a long time, and it's absolutely predictable. Whether you guys think it's fair or not doesn't matter. It's currently the process we have to go through. Maybe if we have free agency next year we will all be happy, but I doubt it. There always has to be a bogeyman when things don't go our way.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer

You are right, AJ. We definitely should not share our outrage at injustice. That's just juvenile. Instead, we should trust the powers-that-be to change the system to remove injustice based on our well-reasoned arguments. I forgot how effective reason and calmly applied logic has worked to eliminate corruption and ferret out incompetence in places of power in the past. :wtf: