NCAA denies waivers for Clayton, Ezzard; Sims granted immediate eligibility

I've yet to see inconsistency proven. Whenever there are exemptions to rules allowed, there is a certain level of "inconsistency" inherent in the process. If ONLY the major schools got the exceptions, there would be an argument. There is proof of exceptions at schools across the FBS landscape and proof of denials at major schools. MOST of the exceptions we discuss are blatantly obvious why they were exempted and a few might never be known due to privacy act, HIPAA, and other legal reasons.
There would appear to be an inconsistency just in the approval of Sims while at the same time denying Clayton. I have yet to read any kind of explanation why one is different from the other.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Ehh, he wouldn't put himself in the crosshairs of the ncaa right off the bat if he didn't believe it. Saying nothing publicly would be the safe route.

There's no danger in it at all. Enough coaches have railed against the process that he's just another voice in the zeitgeist. The NCAA can only sanction him if he speaks out of turn about an unsigned recruit or an official (refs/umpires/judges) in context to how they call/called a game. I sincerely believe he thinks every one of his guys SHOULD be given a waiver. What coach wouldn't believe that. As for Clayton, I was hoping he would get it. Of the three, his loss hurts us the worst. I am now hoping that he gets a medical waiver to play an extra season.

Sarrick

Ramblin' Wreck
There would appear to be an inconsistency just in the approval of Sims while at the same time denying Clayton. I have yet to read any kind of explanation why one is different from the other.

I wanted clarity, but my understanding is the Clayton is outside the 100 mile range, but has a very sick family member and no P5 schools within range

While sims doesn’t have any family issues but is in the 100 miles radius and came from much further away.

This is my understanding but I don’t think I have all the facts

I wanted clarity, but my understanding is the Clayton is outside the 100 mile range, but has a very sick family member and no P5 schools within range

While sims doesn’t have any family issues but is in the 100 miles radius and came from much further away.

This is my understanding but I don’t think I have all the facts
The fact that Clayton has a sick family member and no P5 school within the 100 mile range should be enough to justify his waiver IMO

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
The fact that Clayton has a sick family member and no P5 school within the 100 mile range should be enough to justify his waiver IMO

The news reports Clayton as saying that his mother "developed a medical issue" and he declined further comments on the severity of it. HIPAA doesn't allow for us to know what that medical issue is beyond what Mrs. Clayton chooses to release. No P5 school within 100 miles isn't a consideration. For that matter, both FSU and Auburn are closer to him than GT.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
Civil disobedience has a long and hallowed history in this country. I wonder if any aggrieved school ever disobeyed a waiver denial and played a player anyway. For example, what if Tech ignored the NCAA’s ruling and played Clayton in the Tech-Clemson game after the game was already decided? Suppose that Clemson was up 49 to 7 to start the 4th quarter and Clayton entered the game. If the sanctions were limited only to a “forfeit” of any game in which an ineligible player plays, so what? It would provide an exceptional platform to give national exposure to the arbitrary actions of the NCAA. It’s a nice day to daydream...

I do like this. It would just be a shame if it hurt us going to a bowl.

I say if we have 3-4 wins going into the uga game. Play him anyways. With a big F.U. to the ncaa

The news reports Clayton as saying that his mother "developed a medical issue" and he declined further comments on the severity of it. HIPAA doesn't allow for us to know what that medical issue is beyond what Mrs. Clayton chooses to release. No P5 school within 100 miles isn't a consideration. For that matter, both FSU and Auburn are closer to him than GT.
But, as someone else pointed out earlier, medical care is closer to her in Macon and Atlanta.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
There's no danger in it at all. Enough coaches have railed against the process that he's just another voice in the zeitgeist. The NCAA can only sanction him if he speaks out of turn about an unsigned recruit or an official (refs/umpires/judges) in context to how they call/called a game. I sincerely believe he thinks every one of his guys SHOULD be given a waiver. What coach wouldn't believe that. As for Clayton, I was hoping he would get it. Of the three, his loss hurts us the worst. I am now hoping that he gets a medical waiver to play an extra season.

Actually, CGC didn't go to bat for Ezzard, really. So that makes me believe his sincerity more.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
I don't think Coach Collins is going to get a Christmas Card from the NCAA, but I'm glad to see someone stand up to them. Guys over at the basketball program are probably doing the oh no head slap :facepalm:. I'm sure the NCAA will find a way to get us on something now. I still can't figure how they are tax exempted.

mts315

Ramblin' Wreck

I am sure the fact that UF is only about 45 minutes farther to Vienna than GT had some role in the matter. We can speculate that She is going to hospitals in Macon or Atlanta but without knowing the nature of his illness that is just that, speculation.

Also, I'm sure that Collins having been Clayton's primary recruiter and coach at UF weighed heavily on the decision. From that standpoint it looks like he is transferring for playing time to a coach he knows.

All that being said the NCAA is a bull**** organization with bull**** rules.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Does the ncaa outright give any reasons for these things? Like what was the validation for Aubrey vs Clayton? It seems like if they were transparent with their reasonings, this would be a non issue

Of course they don't. Because that would open them up to scrutiny. As it is, they can make these vague, inconsistent decisions and when backlash comes they just blame it on fans being fans.

I have no idea why the kid transferring to VPI (to be close to his mom who has a non-cancerous brain tumor) had his waiver denied on the same day the Solomon kid's waiver was approved.

I haven't verified this but a caller on an cfb show on XM said the dad of the VPI guy said the NCAA asked why the mom hadn't retired from her job. Seemingly implying that, if the brain tumor was so serious (that the kid needed to transfer to be near her), why is she still working.

I hope that's not true. I'd be pissed if I was that family.