NCAA denies waivers for Clayton, Ezzard; Sims granted immediate eligibility

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Al I've attempted to do is point out to everyone on this board that there is a process, and that process has been in place for a long time, and it's absolutely predictable. Whether you guys think it's fair or not doesn't matter. It's currently the process we have to go through. Maybe if we have free agency next year we will all be happy, but I doubt it. There always has to be a bogeyman when things don't go our way.

I don't disagree entirely. I don't think we have enough information about why people were approved or not. The NCAA doesn't provide information about applications or reasons for approval/denial. Most of the players don't publicly state the reasons they put in their waiver applications. Public appearance is that Martell listed the coaching change and was approved. Public appearance is that Ezzard listed the coaching change and was denied. We don't know, but that isn't a good look.

I would also argue that the process has not been in place for a long time. They modified the waiver process when players from Ole Miss were actually going to release information publicly that Ole Miss was guilty of "egregious" behavior. They modified the waiver process this year after Martell was approved and there was public outrage that he was approved.

In addition to that, the "process is behind closed doors". You have argued that the NCAA follows the process, but we don't actually know if they do or not because we don't have all of the information. Others argue that it is completely arbitrary but we don't have all of the information. I can't say that the NCAA is following the process, or that they are acting arbitrarily because I don't have any access to what actually happens with the applications or the committee.

EDIT: If the letter from Hoffman's father is accurate, the process makes no sense. According to him: The NCAA denied for a reason, the family provided documentation covering that concern, the NCAA then denied for another reason, the family provided documentation covering that concern, then the NCAA denied and hasn't provided a reason as of yet. If his statements are accurate, I can't see a process.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
It's not that I like defending the NCAA. There is MUCH I'd like to see changed about it, but there are rules in place for a reason, and abandoning rules is not generally a good idea. Maybe this is the tipping point to see real meaningful change in the NCAA transfer policy. Hopefully so. I also hope we don't end up regretting the unintended consequences that come with the change.

At this point there is no recourse for our players unless parents mount a sizable and quick legal challenge. Even then, it's likely that all it would do is by an additional year of eligibility, as this year would be in the rear view mirror. I'd like to see that.

And that's what I said 20 pages ago, or even in another thread, when I tried to tell everyone that it was highly doubtful any of these guys were gonna play this year. If not for the UM debacle in the way they handled their transfers, we most likely wouldn't even have Sims for this year. Everyone told me I was nuts though, and that the NCAA would easily grant waivers for these cases. Al I've attempted to do is point out to everyone on this board that there is a process, and that process has been in place for a long time, and it's absolutely predictable. Whether you guys think it's fair or not doesn't matter. It's currently the process we have to go through. Maybe if we have free agency next year we will all be happy, but I doubt it. There always has to be a bogeyman when things don't go our way.

I get you.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
You are right, AJ. We definitely should not share our outrage at injustice. That's just juvenile. Instead, we should trust the powers-that-be to change the system to remove injustice based on our well-reasoned arguments. I forgot how effective reason and calmly applied logic has worked to eliminate corruption and ferret out incompetence in places of power in the past. :wtf:

The court of public opinion has hanged innocent men before.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
And that's what I said 20 pages ago, or even in another thread, when I tried to tell everyone that it was highly doubtful any of these guys were gonna play this year. If not for the UM debacle in the way they handled their transfers, we most likely wouldn't even have Sims for this year. Everyone told me I was nuts though, and that the NCAA would easily grant waivers for these cases. Al I've attempted to do is point out to everyone on this board that there is a process, and that process has been in place for a long time, and it's absolutely predictable. Whether you guys think it's fair or not doesn't matter. It's currently the process we have to go through. Maybe if we have free agency next year we will all be happy, but I doubt it. There always has to be a bogeyman when things don't go our way.

Slight correction here. Nobody was saying the NCAA would easily grant the waivers (we’re GT fans after all, we expect to get shafted), only that they should. You’re apparently arguing with a straw man.

SecretAgentBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Clayton would have made a difference against Clemson. I’m not saying that we would have won or even almost won (we made waaaay too many mistakes), but we certainly need the most help on the DL.

Maybe the conspiracy theorists were right about the connection to the spread and betting lines....