NC State Postgame

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Current GT player: Am I really so terrible that my lack of talent is turning a playoff level coach into a 3-9 losing to FCS teams coach?
Actual current GT player: I understand there will be growing pains playing in a new system for a new coaching staff. I am excited for the future here.

Just look at any current player’s tweets and it will be pretty similar.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Actual current GT player: I understand there will be growing pains playing in a new system for a new coaching staff. I am excited for the future here.

We aren’t being fed the narrative that playing in a new system is hard for talented players. We are being fed a narrative that these guys simply aren’t talented and we won’t be successful until they are replaced. Even if they maintain their own positivity, that can’t be enjoyable to hear constantly.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer

Can you honestly read this and believe it?

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
We aren’t being fed the narrative that playing in a new system is hard for talented players. We are being fed a narrative that these guys simply aren’t talented and we won’t be successful until they are replaced. Even if they maintain their own positivity, that can’t be enjoyable to hear constantly.
Who is feeding that narrative? Not the coaching staff. The only place I’ve ever seen not having enough talent come up is on this board. CGC feeds the narrative that the team is elite, and will attract more elite players. Whether or not what he says is true, he has never made a negative comment about the current team not being talented.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

Point well made. This is a young team that will get better. But like JacketOff said, it isn't coming from the coaching staff. I've been guilty myself of leaving a negative impression.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Can you honestly read this and believe it?
Can you honestly look at what any current player has to say and not believe it? They rated CGC a near perfect 5* coach in an anonymous poll early in the year. Do you honestly think the players just sit around and feel sorry for themselves? Do you not realize that virtually no coach goes to a school and leads them to a successful year in his first year. Do you remember UGA went 7-5 in Kirby’s first year? A team loaded with 4 and 5 star players. What about Bama winning 6 in Saban’s first year? Players are smart enough to see into the future.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
Can you honestly look at what any current player has to say and not believe it? They rated CGC a near perfect 5* coach in an anonymous poll early in the year. Do you honestly think the players just sit around and feel sorry for themselves? Do you not realize that virtually no coach goes to a school and leads them to a successful year in his first year. Do you remember UGA went 7-5 in Kirby’s first year? A team loaded with 4 and 5 star players. What about Bama winning 6 in Saban’s first year? Players are smart enough to see into the future.

Ignore feature is your friend. Only had to do it to a few, but it makes reading through here much more enjoyable.

Honestly, the 4/5 people I’ve ignored aren’t GT fans IMO. I believe they were Ga Southern fans that started pulling for GT when CPJ got here and are mad we didn’t hire another TO coach from his coaching tree.

Any rational person knew this was a significant transition. Any rational person can see that the players love playing for Collins. Any rational person can see the progress this team has made this year. The same rational person can also see that Collins needs work on his clock management/in game coaching. Same rational person can have concerns about coach P and his play calling (though it does seem to have gotten better when we block better).

Anyone that genuinely cares about GT should want Collins to be successful. Those whose feelings are hurt because their guy didn’t get hired or that Collins isn’t targeting them with branding and catering to their needs care more about their ego than GT. They are the problem, not Collins. They’re the reason why it’s hard for GT to gain sidewalk fans. Most likely the same people that want you to sit down when it’s 3rd down and we’re playing defense.

End rant...

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Ignore feature is your friend. Only had to do it to a few, but it makes reading through here much more enjoyable.

Honestly, the 4/5 people I’ve ignored aren’t GT fans IMO. I believe they were Ga Southern fans that started pulling for GT when CPJ got here and are mad we didn’t hire another TO coach from his coaching tree.

Any rational person knew this was a significant transition. Any rational person can see that the players love playing for Collins. Any rational person can see the progress this team has made this year. The same rational person can also see that Collins needs work on his clock management/in game coaching. Same rational person can have concerns about coach P and his play calling (though it does seem to have gotten better when we block better).

Anyone that genuinely cares about GT should want Collins to be successful. Those whose feelings are hurt because their guy didn’t get hired or that Collins isn’t targeting them with branding and catering to their needs care more about their ego than GT. They are the problem, not Collins. They’re the reason why it’s hard for GT to gain sidewalk fans. Most likely the same people that want you to sit down when it’s 3rd down and we’re playing defense.

End rant...
We can revisit this in a year or two and see who is rational. Not looking very good for your group right now.

southernhive

Jolly Good Fellow

End rant...
7-5 would have been fine this season. We had enough talent to win more than 3 games.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
7-5 would have been fine this season. We had enough talent to win more than 3 games.
Would’ve been fine? So tying CPJs average would’ve been “fine” in the first year of a transition on a team with the least amount of returning experience in P5 football, and ended up having a ton of injuries to what limited returning experience they had to work with? If Tech went 7-5 this year everybody that works in CFB media would be saying GT will win the national championship by 2022.

southernhive

Jolly Good Fellow
Would’ve been fine? So tying CPJs average would’ve been “fine” in the first year of a transition on a team with the least amount of returning experience in P5 football, and ended up having a ton of injuries to what limited returning experience they had to work with? If Tech went 7-5 this year everybody that works in CFB media would be saying GT will win the national championship by 2022.
Yes, it would have been fine. I hope the new coach can get it turned around next year. Beating the DWAGs next week would be a good start to next year.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer

7-5 definitely would have gotten Collins ACC Coach of the year and a few votes for Bobby Dodd COY.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Who is feeding that narrative? Not the coaching staff. The only place I’ve ever seen not having enough talent come up is on this board. CGC feeds the narrative that the team is elite, and will attract more elite players. Whether or not what he says is true, he has never made a negative comment about the current team not being talented.

No coaching staff would ever come right out and say anything like that, because then the inherited players would likely just phone it in and it would hurt the process of changing. That being said, it is generally understood that is what he means when he says things like 'unprecedented, monumental transformation.' It doesn't take that long to learn an offense if you've got the guys capable of executing it on the team already.

dmel25

Jolly Good Fellow
How quickly we forget the loss to the citadel and first shut out since before my parents were born. 7 wins was more than reasonable, but at least get 5 that, was doable when the acc is historically bad. People get pumped up after a win to NC State who is marginally better than our team.

Wow. You Collins apologists are setting the bar at Tech really low. And to the previous poster who said 7-5 as CPJ'S average can just shut up until Collins comes even close to that.
You're biased as hell. I am a relatively new GT fan, officially became a fan in 2008 so Paul Johnson is all I've known as as GT's head coach. Hell I took a tour of GT's campus in 2009 and Paul Johnson walked right by our tour group and I said hey and he turned and nodded at me, it was awesome. I loved Paul Johnson and was very sad to see him go.

But you know what? I'm excited for Coach Collins. I love his energy! And you know what else? CPJ's worst season at GT was 3-9, and Coach Collins has already won 3 games so people can't say he's worse than CPJ. That's also keeping in mind that our current players were recruited for the triple option, not our current offense. That's impressive. So everyone needs to chill and give Coach Collins a chance.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
How quickly we forget the loss to the citadel and first shut out since before my parents were born. 7 wins was more than reasonable, but at least get 5 that, was doable when the acc is historically bad. People get pumped up after a win to NC State who is marginally better than our team.

Wow. You Collins apologists are setting the bar at Tech really low. And to the previous poster who said 7-5 as CPJ'S average can just shut up until Collins comes even close to that.
5 wins was reasonable. 6 would’ve been a really good year. 7 would have been outstanding considering the circumstances. I went into the year expecting 4, and I think a lot of people did. So not getting 4 is underachieving.

And I can shut up about CPJ averaging 7-5? Explain to me how it’s disrespectful to mention facts regarding CPJ winning 7 games, but Collins winning 7 would’ve been reasonable? HH How does that make sense? CGC’s expectations in year 1 are higher for you than CPJ’s in year 11? I’ve already provided stats for coaches who take over a program, even successful programs. Most of them win somewhere between 2-6 in year 1. The win totals increase until around year 4 when the true numbers show up. If you really think a team transitioning to a completely new offense, retaining virtually nobody on the previous staff, and returning the least amount of experience in all of P5 football should win 7+ games in year 1, after a proven coach in year 10 won 5, and year 11 won 7, you’re just insane. So good luck with your issues man.

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
5 wins was reasonable. 6 would’ve been a really good year. 7 would have been outstanding considering the circumstances. I went into the year expecting 4, and I think a lot of people did. So not getting 4 is underachieving.

And I can shut up about CPJ averaging 7-5? Explain to me how it’s disrespectful to mention facts regarding CPJ winning 7 games, but Collins winning 7 would’ve been reasonable? HH How does that make sense? CGC’s expectations in year 1 are higher for you than CPJ’s in year 11? I’ve already provided stats for coaches who take over a program, even successful programs. Most of them win somewhere between 2-6 in year 1. The win totals increase until around year 4 when the true numbers show up. If you really think a team transitioning to a completely new offense, retaining virtually nobody on the previous staff, and returning the least amount of experience in all of P5 football should win 7+ games in year 1, after a proven coach in year 10 won 5, and year 11 won 7, you’re just insane. So good luck with your issues man.
As others have said, block is your friend. There are one note posters and one note posters who don't know their ****. It's almost the day of rest; no need to poke the toadz.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer

CPJ won the acc and was close to winning it many times. Worked with a much smaller budget. When Collins comes close to sniffing that then you can talk to me about it. Until then take your friends advice and block me if the truth hurts so much.

SoMsJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
CPJ won the acc and was close to winning it many times. Worked with a much smaller budget. When Collins comes close to sniffing that then you can talk to me about it. Until then take your friends advice and block me if the truth hurts so much.

The TRUTH is CPJ left a depleted roster for CGC. CGC has been on the job for less than a year, accepted the avg at best recruiting class, and is putting together the best recruiting class since 2007. Deal with it, or ignore the obvious. It would be beneficial to the program for you to block everyone you disagree with.