NC State Postgame

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
What a great game compared to the rest of the season. You can see we have a much different team than most of the other ACC teams. They were bigger stronger and faster than us. But with the improvements we have been making I am thinking we have a much better team next year.

I think our S&C needs to step it up more, I know our defense was completely wore out. We need to plan on defense playing 40-45 min next Saturday. They should be prepared for that.

I feel we got out coached in the second half. We need to do better at making those adjustments.

We need to learn to stop the run or COFH is going to be hard to watch.

But we Won! LETS GO JACKETS!!!

I've been impressed with our S&C this year. Seems to me a big improvement compared to the recent past. They ran 80 plays, and I think the D hung in there pretty well, considering.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Personally I thought the dropped bomb was a terrible play. NCS had just scored and we could not stop them. Our D was exhausted and needed a rest and with 5+ minutes left in the game, we needed to run some time off the clock. Not the call so much but we had a receiver wide open in the middle for 10 yds but we threw a low percentage pass that left us with only 2 downs to make 10 yds, which we didn't. Could have easily cost us the game.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

Were you sitting near my son and me? We said the same thing!

alagold

Helluva Engineer
It looked like a"normal" college game between two very average teams.Good plays ,bad plays and key plays. Mason ripping for 1st down told the story of who won. Easily could have been St.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
If you feel bad for Tech, don’t. The bottom is dropping out at UCLA. 32,000 attendance. Ouch.

When we are being outspent by WF and Duke, yes, I’m going to feel bad for GT. That money comes from us buying tickets and making donations. I consider buying season tickets the bare minimum a fan can, and should, do.

herb

Helluva Engineer
Great game, two steps forward after the one back last week. Found a way to win using all three facets of the game.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
It’s crazy when you think about it - a few more plays and we could have won 5 games this year. But then you look at what USF, Miami, and NC State did and we weren’t far from Owen Twelve. Shew. Onward and upward!
Way closer to Owen 12 then five more wins.

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
I've been impressed with our S&C this year. Seems to me a big improvement compared to the recent past. They ran 80 plays, and I think the D hung in there pretty well, considering.

I agree they have improved a ton, but for this next game they will need to really be ready. I don't know how much we can accomplish in a week but we will need to work hard for sure.

nod

Ramblin' Wreck
Love the win. Only complaints

1. Graham seems to have a knack for making some really bad mistakes in critical situations. That fumble was terrible. 35-13 would have essentially ended it

2. Collins needs to learn how to manage the damn clock. 1:21 left with 2nd down and no time outs for the opponent is two knees and leave the field. But then again, what could go wrong from shotgun snaps and the entire defense standing up your running back?

Clock management killed us against Citadel. Could have done it again today. He needs to learn how to handle those situations. It’s simple math...

Glad to have the win though!

I will add, end of 1st half, NC ST has ball inside our 10 with like 3 min left, we let them run down clock with 3 timeout left in our pocket. I would have used TO to save time for one last drive in the half. They got to 4th down and let clock run down for timeout and run last play leaving us with very little time on the clock for final drive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So just now getting to this.
The good
We won
Mason was great and we committed more to the run
Graham had some great throws and ran well, knowing when to run.
The option works, run more of it
Harvin is a weapon, bottom line

The bad
Uh run defense. I fear next week Swift and crew may rack up 400 yards on us
We need to recognize that on 3rd and 8, we do not need to throw a 50 yard pass. We need to move the chains and keep the defense off the field.
Practice mesh point during the week.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Well, that was fun. I couldn't go (family stuff) but I watched it on tv. Some impressions:

• About time we decided to commit to running the ball and let Graham do it. This is how we should have looked all year, no matter wh0 the opponent was. Give Mason the ball and let Graham option off of that. The only thing missing was more under center sets and use of an I formation with Howard at FB. Why P'naude doesn't want to do that is hard to fathom, but I'm guessing it has more to do with Collins then him. It's all that "look good for the recruits" stuff. Not to put too fine a point on it, but what looks good to recruits is winning.

• Given that they had the ball almost 10 minutes longer then we did, I thought the D did ok. They had a couple of drives where they were hard to stop - except where it counted, of course - but we also got our share of 3 and outs and we had 6 TFLs. They had a hard time stopping us as well. Neither D is ready for prime time yet.

• The color guy was a giant annoyance. "Tech's DL is smaller then NCState." Well, the team wearing dark colors always looks smaller, as any fool can tell you, and DLs are always smaller the OLs. Here's the comparative weights for the two starting DLs: NCSU: 315, 291, 256/Tech 225, 300, 300, 240. "Collins tells me that Tech has had trouble recruiting big DLs because they didn't want to be cut blocked." I bet that got Paul right up off the sofa. We've always had trouble recruiting big DLs. The only two AA interior DLs we've had in modern times were weird humans: Rock Pardoni (5'11', 250 and probably the fastest and surely the strongest DL, pound for pound, in Tech history) and Coleman Rudolph (6'5", 270 and originally recruited as a LB). And we've always had big DLs too; we would have had one this year expect for his untimely demise. "It's the fourth quarter. Tech's defense is worn down and will have a hard time stopping State." Yet, when the game was on the line, it was our offense that sustained a running drive that won the game and State's D that Mason ran through. I was just about ready to jump through the tv screen listening to that clown.

• James can throw the ball. He is still having problems picking up secondary WRs, but that's common with freshmen. That'll come around. Right now he reminds me of Nesbitt: good on long throws, so-so on short ones. His throws last night, however, were all pretty much on the money. Bodes well for next year.

Botton line: it was great to see us put it all together for once, even if it was against a relatively weak opponent. Congrats to the players and coaches!

Update: anybody know what's up with Hansen? Did he get hurt again? Minihan did a good job in relief, btw.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
Wait wait wait, hold on. FIFTH ace? Who is this? Matt Kuchar? Stewart Cink?
LOL. Not so good, just lucky and play a lot of golf. I hadn't had one in 20 years and now have had 2 since last week in August. Strange thing is the one in August was the first round we started the hole in one pot and nobody has won it except me

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer

The NCState QB must have been working on strength and conditioning, too, because his QB sneaks, while expected, we’re effective and he flat ran over our MLB on one play I saw.