NC State Postgame

MGTfan

Ramblin' Wreck
Wow - I have perhaps never seen a more clearly defined case of the motte and bailey fallacy. Augusta Jacket and I were arguing two completely different points, yet you try to conflate the two in order to make an argument which refutes neither one...

ok, Jim. You’re right, Im wrong. Hope that makes you feel better.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
It is not a given that we can just recruit our way out of this mess. Coach Collins has put all his chips in on relentless recruiting the 404 and raising the profile of Georgia Tech around the state but there is no guarantee that this is going to work. The academic hurdles are formidable as is the perception that the ACC is some kind of red haired step child to the mighty SEC. The last 8 years have seen our recruiting rankings (according to SB Nation, not sure how accurate they are) as being in the mid to upper 40s. Job one for the Collins crew is to get that down to the lower 30s or upper 20s. Can he do it? It is going to be hard but there is talent galore in metro Atlanta so why not get our share of it? Getting the players signed and on campus is step one but they have to be developed and coached in his system. The lack of linemen is glaring and will not be fixed anytime soon. It is going to be a hard and bumpy road but I got to hand to Coach Collins, the man has boundless self confidence. We will see.

Agreed on everything but the recruiting goal. We need to be top 25 minimum and top 20 preferably to have a realistic chance at competing against uga and Clemson. If we are willing to chalk up those two games as losses every year and try to win 8-10 games tops, then low 30's high 20's will probably do.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Agreed on everything but the recruiting goal. We need to be top 25 minimum and top 20 preferably to have a realistic chance at competing against uga and Clemson. If we are willing to chalk up those two games as losses every year and try to win 8-10 games tops, then low 30's high 20's will probably do.
I’m glad everyone’s all excited about recruiting but we’re averaging either 3.0 stars or 3.04 stars. Either Rivals or 247 has 1 less 2 star. We’ve got more volume, we have recruited OL which is great as a recovery starts there, but the elephant in the room is DL and QBs. We’ve got 1 QB, might be ok. Not sure we’re sniffing any 4* QBs which is what we really need. The DL recruiting I keep praying I’ll pull up this site and see much rejoicing, but as of right now we’re shooting blanks. That is not good.

I hope the volume coupled with more talk results in higher rated 2021 recruits. I’m thinking this class unless we have an awesome close is about wrapped up. Not much chatter lately.

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
ok, Jim. You’re right, Im wrong. Hope that makes you feel better.

Thanks, but that isn't necessary. All I'm after is trying to actually see some well thought out and reasoned debate. We could actually have some REALLY interesting conversations if people would state their case and support it rather than just throwing rocks at people they dislike...

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer

I was trying to be realistic by moving the goal posts a shade closer. The mid 20s might be doable or it might be a reach. Since the advent of modern recruiting rankings circa 2000 or so Tech has achieved a top 20 ranking only once I believe. In all that time I would bet UGA has never been out of the top 20 and Clemson has never been out of the top 25. Their consistency in getting excellent classes with oven ready offensive and defensive linemen is what is so daunting from our perspective. Coach Collins task is akin to the Greek myth of Sisyphus condemned to roll that rock up the hill for eternity only to see it go down again.

Southpawmac

Helluva Engineer
I’m glad everyone’s all excited about recruiting but we’re averaging either 3.0 stars or 3.04 stars. Either Rivals or 247 has 1 less 2 star. We’ve got more volume, we have recruited OL which is great as a recovery starts there, but the elephant in the room is DL and QBs. We’ve got 1 QB, might be ok. Not sure we’re sniffing any 4* QBs which is what we really need. The DL recruiting I keep praying I’ll pull up this site and see much rejoicing, but as of right now we’re shooting blanks. That is not good.

I hope the volume coupled with more talk results in higher rated 2021 recruits. I’m thinking this class unless we have an awesome close is about wrapped up. Not much chatter lately.
Not sure where you’re looking. There’s been plenty of chatter about more committing recently. Franks and Bermudez. Morton picked up another crystal ball recently. Still in play for Harrell, Battle, Jones, Ivey, Perry, Mesidor. Just had a 4* FSU QB commit visit. Obviously won’t land all of them but we’re not done.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
I don’t think it has anything to do with what we are willing to do.
I wish I thought we could compete with both of those programs with top 25 talent. The problem I see is the power shift in college football. It is like 5-6 programs and then everyone else. For the first time, both Ga and Clemson are in the upper end of that group. The difference in a top 3-4 class and a top 25 class is massive. Look at the 21 class and the class that Clemson has already gotten lined up. I’m not trying to be a negative party pooper but the talent improvement compared to those two teams will more than likely just help us improve the Vegas spread. While I am excited about our first 2021 commitment , Clemson has like 3 of the top 5 players in the country committed .PJ would have won over 50% of the games against both those teams with top 30 talent during his time here but those teams were recruiting top 10 talent then . They both now match or top Alabama.