Nate Woody . . .

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Well yes i agree and i like him and his scheme, and i liked alotof what i saw last year from his unit. Statistically the def was actually worse Than Roof’s last season. That kind of job performance first season or not is not going to help you land your next DC job at a major program.

One thing no one can dispute is both DCs struggled to generate pressure on the QB. I got so where I preferred third and short to third and long because you just knew a demoralizing first down play was coming. Didn't matter who the DC was.

Probably I'd roll with Woody over Roof in the hope that ultimately he'd create defenses that would on average generate more stops due to more turnovers. But IMO D-line talent and depth has been a huge issue. Think about how much difference 1 Jeremiah Attaochu-type rusher makes. Gamble, Gotsis, and St Amour were respectable players who made some plays, but none of them were 1st team ACC type of talent. Clemson lost their best D-lineman then promptly whipped a big, physical Alabama offense. It is what it is.

That's why you give Collins seven years. Smoke and mirrors ain't gonna cut it. He's got to recruit horses to go along with scheme because at some point you have to get off blocks and run to the ball if you are to be an effective defense. Gonna take time folks.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Think about how much difference 1 Jeremiah Attaochu-type rusher makes. Gamble, Gotsis, and St Amour were respectable players who made some plays, but none of them were 1st team ACC type of talent.

Gotsis was that level of talent. He was a second round draft pick coming off an injury. That injury is the ONLY reason he wasn't 1st string All-ACC in 2015 was that injury. The three first string DTs that year were Carlos Watkins, Luther Maddy, and Connor Wujciak. One was drafted in the 4th round and the other two were UDFAs that year, all behind Gotsis.

Your larger point remains, though. Without a Gotsis or Attaochu level talent, the sledding does become tougher on the DL.

Animal02

Banned
One thing no one can dispute is both DCs struggled to generate pressure on the QB. I got so where I preferred third and short to third and long because you just knew a demoralizing first down play was coming. Didn't matter who the DC was.

Probably I'd roll with Woody over Roof in the hope that ultimately he'd create defenses that would on average generate more stops due to more turnovers. But IMO D-line talent and depth has been a huge issue. Think about how much difference 1 Jeremiah Attaochu-type rusher makes. Gamble, Gotsis, and St Amour were respectable players who made some plays, but none of them were 1st team ACC type of talent. Clemson lost their best D-lineman then promptly whipped a big, physical Alabama offense. It is what it is.

That's why you give Collins seven years. Smoke and mirrors ain't gonna cut it. He's got to recruit horses to go along with scheme because at some point you have to get off blocks and run to the ball if you are to be an effective defense. Gonna take time folks.
Still disagree with giving him 7 years.....if he is not showing he can make it happen by year 4.....he will be gone and Tech on the hook like so many other times. If he does show he is makeing it happen in yeare 3-4.....then you extend the contract.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Still disagree with giving him 7 years.....if he is not showing he can make it happen by year 4.....he will be gone and Tech on the hook like so many other times. If he does show he is makeing it happen in yeare 3-4.....then you extend the contract.

No one will tolerate 7 straight years of .500 ball. A bit above that over 7 years with some trips to Charlotte and the Orange Bowl and many will be okay to ride things out longer.

The same as always. Standards haven’t changed any imo. Just the expectations of some.

Animal02

Banned
No one will tolerate 7 straight years of .500 ball. A bit above that over 7 years with some trips to Charlotte and the Orange Bowl and many will be okay to ride things out longer.

The same as always. Standards haven’t changed any imo. Just the expectations of some.
3-4 years of .500 ( or God forbid) less than .500 and he will be out the door.

Milwaukee

Banned

This. By year 3 you should know if it's good or bad. I'm not giving anyone 7 years to be successful when it can be done in 3.

GT_EE78

Banned
Yes, and he had plenty of other better ones to balance it. If he had started out with 5 years of .500, he would not have lasted.
don't we already know those first few years were due to the Gaily /Collins recruits? I'm quite happy to just move on and stop rehashing the 3option issues.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Well yes i agree and i like him and his scheme, and i liked alotof what i saw last year from his unit. Statistically the def was actually worse Than Roof’s last season. That kind of job performance first season or not is not going to help you land your next DC job at a major program.

There are two elements, the coach and the players. Some of the players we had starting last year were okay and some were really lacking. I'm not going to go into specifics but they all did their best and I'm not criticizing their effort. All you can ask from anyone is that they do their best, and I believe they did. I watched part of a game yesterday from 2000, and at several positions there is just no comparison between that defense, personnel-wise, and the one on the field last year. It is what it is. I'm sure lots of folks will take exception to that but I think it's true. Overall, we just didn't have the horses.

GT_EE78

Banned
I watched part of a game yesterday from 2000, and at several positions there is just no comparison between that defense, personnel-wise, and the one on the field last year. It is what it is. I'm sure lots of folks will take exception to that but I think it's true. Overall, we just didn't have the horses.
sooooooo, you missed nearly two decades and just now noticed?

Animal02

Banned
There are two elements, the coach and the players. Some of the players we had starting last year were okay and some were really lacking. I'm not going to go into specifics but they all did their best and I'm not criticizing their effort. All you can ask from anyone is that they do their best, and I believe they did. I watched part of a game yesterday from 2000, and at several positions there is just no comparison between that defense, personnel-wise, and the one on the field last year. It is what it is. I'm sure lots of folks will take exception to that but I think it's true. Overall, we just didn't have the horses.
APR

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Gotsis was that level of talent. He was a second round draft pick coming off an injury. That injury is the ONLY reason he wasn't 1st string All-ACC in 2015 was that injury. The three first string DTs that year were Carlos Watkins, Luther Maddy, and Connor Wujciak. One was drafted in the 4th round and the other two were UDFAs that year, all behind Gotsis.

Your larger point remains, though. Without a Gotsis or Attaochu level talent, the sledding does become tougher on the DL.
And Gotsis is getting better and better with Denver