Nate Woody . . .

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
don't we already know those first few years were due to the Gaily /Collins recruits? I'm quite happy to just move on and stop rehashing the 3option issues.

2014, arguably CPJs best year, were all his own recruits. And apparently he left CCG with a 4* QB. Why don't we all drop the potshots against and arguments about CPJ? CGC is the HC now, and we all need to support him.

Animal02

Banned
What if we win 7 games in ‘19, 11 in ‘20, and 4 in ‘21?
He wins 11 in 20.......that is contract extension time right there.
The problem lies if he were to go 5-7, 4-8, 5-7.........you are still on the hook for another 4 years. Which to me is asinine.
It might have been different had we been pulling a proven coach from a schedule position and offered 7 years.......but not to someone with 2 years HC experience. Big risk for TStan.....sort of like going for it on our own 30 yd line when it is 4th and 6 in the 2nd quarter. If it works out, he is a hero, if not.....he is a goat. IMO......we were not desperate enough at the time to be going for it.

LibertyTurns

Banned
The problem lies if he were to go 5-7, 4-8, 5-7.........you are still on the hook for another 4 years. Which to me is asinine.
It might have been different had we been pulling a proven coach from a schedule position and offered 7 years.......but not to someone with 2 years HC experience. Big risk for TStan.....sort of like going for it on our own 30 yd line when it is 4th and 6 in the 2nd quarter. If it works out, he is a hero, if not.....he is a goat. IMO......we were not desperate enough at the time to be going for it.
CGC has taken on an under-resourced operation and some of you are borderline demanding wildly above average results. Give the guy a chance to get the pieces in place & we can start evaluating whether or not he’s a great hire. 3 years is a short time horizon when you’re dealing with little or no ability to have a structure in place in year 1, having to build a staff & recruiting system to set up for year 2. I expect the starting line up in year 4 to be mostly manned with his type of players & year 5 to be the first year where we get a good look at what’s ahead in the next decade. We have to get there first.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
2014, arguably CPJs best year, were all his own recruits. And apparently he left CCG with a 4* QB. Why don't we all drop the potshots against and arguments about CPJ? CGC is the HC now, and we all need to support him.
Exactly this.

I think in the grand scheme of history we will look back on CPJ as one of Tech's better coaches while dealing with a changing landscape both in the NCAA and in the athletic department.

I hope CGC has even more success as we enter a new era of football.

Animal02

Banned
CGC has taken on an under-resourced operation and some of you are borderline demanding wildly above average results. Give the guy a chance to get the pieces in place & we can start evaluating whether or not he’s a great hire. 3 years is a short time horizon when you’re dealing with little or no ability to have a structure in place in year 1, having to build a staff & recruiting system to set up for year 2. I expect the starting line up in year 4 to be mostly manned with his type of players & year 5 to be the first year where we get a good look at what’s ahead in the next decade. We have to get there first.
Nope.......a good coach will be able to make do with what he has......he is NOT coming into a dumpster fire. No one is demanding "above average results" pretty much everyone has said that staying at or just above .500 will be acceptable (a few of the crushers have been willing to accept multiple massive losing years) My issue is with the 7 year contract....which IMO is excessive given his limited HC experience. A shorter contract with extensions as he proves himself would have been much more reasonable. & years is a lifetime in college coaching.
If he were to go 5-7, 4-8, 5-7 in his first three years....you would find that acceptable? I certainly don't, and I doubt much of the fan base would either.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Nope.......a good coach will be able to make do with what he has......he is NOT coming into a dumpster fire. No one is demanding "above average results" pretty much everyone has said that staying at or just above .500 will be acceptable (a few of the crushers have been willing to accept multiple massive losing years) My issue is with the 7 year contract....which IMO is excessive given his limited HC experience. A shorter contract with extensions as he proves himself would have been much more reasonable. & years is a lifetime in college coaching.
If he were to go 5-7, 4-8, 5-7 in his first three years....you would find that acceptable? I certainly don't, and I doubt much of the fan base would either.
5-7, 4-8 & 5-7 is certainly not what I want but there are a ton of other variables. What if we had numerous high impact injuries, ie like we had this year at QB (Ratliffe & Lucas); what if we saw sings of recruiting picking up big time & those newbies were all being redshirted in year 3, etc?

I really thought we’d win 9 next year. With the staff change 8 is probably more likely and 7 or 6 are also likely due to game to game variation. 5 would be disappoint, but what if the system being put in place causes us to lose 1 or 2 games we shouldn’t have because the players just are not yet prepared to execute due to lack of reps? Year 2 has a fairly tough schedule. Would not be surprised by less wins. That would put you in a scenario where you’re ready to throw the baby out with the bath water at the end of year 3. If GT operates like that we’re in for a sustained period of turnover & systemic losing like we’ve not seen since the Curry/pre-Curry years in my opinion.

Animal02

Banned
5-7, 4-8 & 5-7 is certainly not what I want but there are a ton of other variables. What if we had numerous high impact injuries, ie like we had this year at QB (Ratliffe & Lucas); what if we saw sings of recruiting picking up big time & those newbies were all being redshirted in year 3, etc?

I really thought we’d win 9 next year. With the staff change 8 is probably more likely and 7 or 6 are also likely due to game to game variation. 5 would be disappoint, but what if the system being put in place causes us to lose 1 or 2 games we shouldn’t have because the players just are not yet prepared to execute due to lack of reps? Year 2 has a fairly tough schedule. Would not be surprised by less wins. That would put you in a scenario where you’re ready to throw the baby out with the bath water at the end of year 3. If GT operates like that we’re in for a sustained period of turnover & systemic losing like we’ve not seen since the Curry/pre-Curry years in my opinion.
Disagree...Three years losing in a row? Waiting for a coach to implement HIS system? Sorry, the players and the fans deserve better.

GT flunkout

Jolly Good Fellow
Lol 7 years

2015 and 2017 were unacceptable results for any GT coach given where our program is relative to our competition and those results are unacceptable in 2019 and beyond.

This is isn't a rebuilding dumpster fire and we should absolutely expect to be going bowling every year as we build up the program for bigger things

7 years lol

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Lol 7 years

2015 and 2017 were unacceptable results for any GT coach given where our program is relative to our competition and those results are unacceptable in 2019 and beyond.

This is isn't a rebuilding dumpster fire and we should absolutely expect to be going bowling every year as we build up the program for bigger things

7 years lol

We are rebuilding a dumpster fire on defense.

Offense wasn't a dumpsterfire but that doesn't change that we are completely overhauling it. We're trying to ptachwork a position we didn't have before, switch players to positions where we don't have the needed depth, and in general trying to recoach players to do things they haven't been asked since highschool. All of this coming from a 7-6 team. To expect no steps back, or to say it is unacceptable, is just not facing the realities of the situation.

Animal02

Banned

Offense wasn't a dumpsterfire but that doesn't change that we are completely overhauling it. We're trying to ptachwork a position we didn't have before, switch players to positions where we don't have the needed depth, and in general trying to recoach players to do things they haven't been asked since highschool. All of this coming from a 7-6 team. To expect no steps back, or to say it is unacceptable, is just not facing the realities of the situation.
Except we we're transitioning last year and we're 7-6...... There is no reason to be any less the .500 going back to what we were a year before.
Setting the bar very low once again.:rolleyes:

Milwaukee

Banned
What if we win 7 games in ‘19, 11 in ‘20, and 4 in ‘21?

Depends if we win an ACC title. 14 was fun cause we were hot at the end of the year but we didn't win a title and were sent to a consolation Orange Bowl that was outside the playoff versus another team that didn't win a title. Looking back if we could've pulled out the win vs FSU then that would've been my favorite year in Tech history. But we didn't.

Milwaukee

Banned

I wouldn't extend him after year 3 unless he wins a conf title.

rhino gold

Georgia Tech Fan

Well said!
Not a "classic" dumpster fire like Tennessee, but we have all the ingredients necessary for a combustible reaction. Namely, the offensive personnel is geared to the triple option. Major overhaul will challenge our coaches. This is our reality next year. 2020 will be the telling year.
YELLOW!!

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
Well said!
Not a "classic" dumpster fire like Tennessee, but we have all the ingredients necessary for a combustible reaction. Namely, the offensive personnel is geared to the triple option. Major overhaul will challenge our coaches. This is our reality next year. 2020 will be the telling year.
YELLOW!!
Athlon in their ACC predictions for 2019 said it could possibly take 2 seasons for Geoff Collins and his coaching staff to get things going the way he wants them to go. They predicted Georgia Tech would finish 7th in the ACC Coastal Division

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Where Tech has been predicted almost every year.
I understand you feel the need to constantly piss in everyone’s cornflakes anytime someone gets excited about the new staff, but I don’t recall use EVER being picked last in the division. Maybe lower half but not last. I also disagree with that prediction but that’s another story. The point is there is no way of knowing how well the team will respond to all the change facing them and even great coaches have had problems with transitions. Just to name a couple Saban and Bobby Ross. I’m not prepared to put numbers on what will make me feel satisfied with Collins but am happy to buy into the hype and hope and let it play out as it will.