Nate Woody . . .

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Man, I really think Nate Woody could have done well here if he was given enough time. I really liked his scheme at App State and loved how he used everyone to attack. Obviously CGC is his own DC, but would have been really interesting to see CNW with CGC's type of players.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Ted Roof gotta be the most Under appreciated Coach on the Board. 2 Wins over UGA, Win over Clemson, Orange Bowl Win. He sent players to the league and he recruited well.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
We really need a popcorn eating emoji...
I think Tech fans loved using Ted as a whipping boy because of his scheme but If you break down all of Paul’s DC’s the only one you could make an argument for being better was Wommack. It’s going to be funny to see how people break this down, because Paul fans use his crowning achievements vs his stats and actual win percentages, wonder if they do the same for his DCs.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Ted Roof gotta be the most Under appreciated Coach on the Board. 2 Wins over UGA, Win over Clemson, Orange Bowl Win. He sent players to the league and he recruited well.

My only issue with ted's defenses is they live and die by dl play. He's very much a rush 4 scrape and move style defense limit big plays, force turnovers. A lot of his blitzes were delayed which works if you got tackles eating up olinement, don't if they can go 1-1 and keep you out.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I think Tech fans loved using Ted as a whipping boy because of his scheme but If you break down all of Paul’s DC’s the only one you could make an argument for being better was Wommack. It’s going to be funny to see how people break this down, because Paul fans use his crowning achievements vs his stats and actual win percentages, wonder if they do the same for his DCs.

You must not remember what CPJ said about the defense after those wins.

This pretty much sums it up:

https://www.ajc.com/blog/mark-bradl...ling-wasn-high-enough/bIDuLslHLbtLYWPfXWQREJ/

I wouldn't say Roof "won" the Orange Bowl, Roof was lucky to play with an All Time offense that game...he gave up 605 yards and 34 points. Luckily our offense was able to score 49 points. (BTW, MSU outgained us in yardage that night).

UGA 2014? Almost 400 yards and only forced them to punt once.

How about FSU in the 2014 ACC Championship?

Remember Tennessee in the Dome? 42 points to a team that beat one P5 team that year...GT. That team won 4 games.

Anyhow, that article does a better job breaking down more details.

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
Problem with Roof is that he would rarely bring pressure up the middle, atleast from how I saw it. It seemed like he was always in some modified Prevent. I would be shocked at how many yards his defenses gave up.. it's a miracle we won as many as we did.

That being said, I dont hate the guy. I think this defensive staff will be MUCH better. Including sending multiple players to the draft.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, no hate towards Roof. He's a great GT guy. But if he wasn't a "GT guy" I'm not sure we would really be talking about him. The numbers just don't support him being even a decent DC at GT.

I greatly appreciate the work Coach Roof did...as a player. Let me tell you, when he hit a running back they went backwards, there was none of this falling forward stuff. As a coach? Not so much. I am sure he gave it all he had and has nothing but the best wishes for his alma mater but man it was hard to watch his defenses even though the primary issue was simply a lack of talent especially in the trenches. IIWII

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, no hate towards Roof. He's a great GT guy. But if he wasn't a "GT guy" I'm not sure we would really be talking about him. The numbers just don't support him being even a decent DC at GT.
He was Decent and sometimes good IMO, if you look at what Tech did while he was here it’s clear he was apart of the reason we were so good but also so inconsistent from 2013-2016. 2016 Defense was almost as good as any D Paul had outside of the years he had Chan’s players, won us that Kentucky and Georgia game.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
He was Decent and sometimes good IMO, if you look at what Tech did while he was here it’s clear he was apart of the reason we were so good but also so inconsistent from 2013-2016. 2016 Defense was almost as good as any D Paul had outside of the years he had Chan’s players, won us that Kentucky and Georgia game.

You're welcome to your opinion. I'll let the numbers speak for Roof.

In any case, Roof is no longer here, CPJ is no longer here...and this is a Nate Woody thread.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
I might just be biased but I just really liked the way Roof did things. He knew who we could recruit at the time and he could sell Tech, he also had a great staff with him.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Football Outsiders' efficiency metrics are in theory adjusted for strength of schedule.

Ted Roof's App State D was #18 in the country in DFEI this year.

Woody supported the #13 DFEI this year at Michigan.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/fei/2019

DFEI in 2018 was #6
2017 #30
2016 #18
2015 #22

Not taking anything away from Roof, but App State has always been very good on defense. What will be interesting to watch is how they perform going forward as more players under the previous regime cycle out.

alagold

Helluva Engineer

Great player but I'm sorry but he was not that good a coach overall..As for the Orange bowl ,he was able to hold Miss St to a OB record-breaking passing total.We OUT-scored them more than anything.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
It’s awesome how a thread congratulating Nate Woody for being named DC at Army so quickly turned into a discussion about Ted Roof [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My bad I’m bored as 2020 recruiting dies down and we are in the 2021 grace period. Jeff Sims playing in 3 hours though.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
My bad I’m bored as 2020 recruiting dies down and we are in the 2021 grace period. Jeff Sims playing in 3 hours though.

No no. Not your bad at all. I just thought it was a funny phenomenon. That's all. Sorry if it sounded like I was making it sound like it wasn't appropriate. This is a discussion board and discussions go every which way and that's a good thing.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
Defense, even more so than offense, your talent dictates what you can run.
Ted thought with our front 7, the best plan was to keep everything in front of you and make them make a mistake. Many people, including myself, did not like that plan of attack.
Thacker has the opposite idea. We can’t get any pressure with 4, so we will consistently bring 5 plus to get a semblance of a pass rush. That leaves your corners on an island and big plays happen. Some games more than others, but we got some negative plays as well.
Two different approaches, but when we have a bad defense over 5 DCs, the common problem is not enough horses to pull the cart.