Nate Woody . . .

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
ok, so I have to respond.
The offense, known as the spread option has so many variables to it but based on the QBs ability is how you do the play calling. Which of course is with all offenses. Actually Tevin was a decent passer and we threw the ball more. CPJs last two years his QBs were runners although I think Oliver could have developed as a passer.

As far as recruiting, yes you can recruit a lot of good players to play in the system. There are those that will not come play but again, if you develop your players in the system they produce. What CGC is doing is trying to recruit at a high level and try to win on talent without a system, We shall see if that experiment works. a 44th ranked recruiting class is not exactly where you wan to be. And before I get the comment...well what about the transfers....well subtract all the transfers that we lost.

A-back game changers.....I think we had more than Orwin Smith. Roddy Jones, Peeples, Ant Allen when he was at A-back, Robby Godhigh. Many were also great blockers.

And for the comment about defense and possessions,.......that is the idea, keep the ball so the other team doesn't score. The best defense is a good offense.

We will see CPJs spread attack again in P5 maybe with variations but everything comes back around.
Anthony Allen was the only back, I can think of, that started at both A back and B back in his career. It is one thing to see 185lb Embrey Peeples (great player for us by the way) on the option pitch it is a whole different ball game to see big 230lb Ant rumbling then if you don't get him at the line of scrimmage he gets faster. A backfield of Dwyer, Ant, and Roddy along with Orwin Smith, Embrey, Tony Zenon, and Robbie Godhigh would have been outlawed by the NCAA.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
You are right about the A backs and I was wrong. But now about Tevin Washington: he was in my opinion the best quarterback Johnson had at Tech in running the option. He was absolutely perfect in decision making, handling the ball, getting it to the right back, and his pitchouts at the end were things of beauty.

But throwing, he couldn't hit the ocean from a rowboat and if he did the ball would not even make a splash. Sorry, but they wobbled and ballooned and floated and the adventure was in whether the ball would actually get as far as a receiver, and many times it didn't. But the running side, great.
Tevin wasn’t great but you really need to watch some film and recalibrate.

Spalding Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Some enterprising coach will finally mix CPJ's spread option with Mike Leach's Air Raid. That offense will destroy the entire defensive coordinator landscape of football...and it will be a joy to watch.

BTW, Mike Leach did a podcast and said if he didn't run his offense, he would run CPJ's spread option. He thinks it's one of the most sound and most difficult offenses to plan for.

While that would be cool, it would actually be redundant ( and not enough time to implement both) as their offenses are similar in that they are system offenses. Imagine it like a baseball pitcher who wants to throw fastballs, but has change ups to punish hitters for swinging early. CPJ wants to run the triple and Leach wants to run the shallow cross series. When teams overcompensate to take those away base plays, they hit them with the change ups to get them back into a base D where they can run their bread and butter play(s).

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Anthony Allen was the only back, I can think of, that started at both A back and B back in his career. It is one thing to see 185lb Embrey Peeples (great player for us by the way) on the option pitch it is a whole different ball game to see big 230lb Ant rumbling then if you don't get him at the line of scrimmage he gets faster. A backfield of Dwyer, Ant, and Roddy along with Orwin Smith, Embrey, Tony Zenon, and Robbie Godhigh would have been outlawed by the NCAA.
Wasn't it Zenon on the opening series against, I think, Middle Tennessee, who started at fullback and ran a circle to the sideline with a frantic middle linebacker trying to cover him on a play that went about 70 yards?

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
While that would be cool, it would actually be redundant ( and not enough time to implement both) as their offenses are similar in that they are system offenses. Imagine it like a baseball pitcher who wants to throw fastballs, but has change ups to punish hitters for swinging early. CPJ wants to run the triple and Leach wants to run the shallow cross series. When teams overcompensate to take those away base plays, they hit them with the change ups to get them back into a base D where they can run their bread and butter play(s).
both offenses actually have their origins in the run and shoot.

Synjn Days....A back...B back....and QB

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Wasn't it Zenon on the opening series against, I think, Middle Tennessee, who started at fullback and ran a circle to the sideline with a frantic middle linebacker trying to cover him on a play that went about 70 yards?
Did not see that game but I do remember Zach Laskey, sorry Zach for not recalling your name a minute ago, catching a pass on a wheel route, the first play of the game against Virginia for a TD and no one touched him.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Tevin had a few bad throws but so does every QB. The key thing with Tevin. Was he knew where to go with the ball he rarely forced anything unless there was no choice. Especially after his first season. Deaperation interceptions dont really count.
Tevin also had that clutch completion against VT the year Nesbitt broke his arm (or was it the year after?) It was like 4th and 12ish with under 2 minutes to go, he scrambled out of the pocket ran towards the sideline and completed it to the A-back (I think it was number 4) just before they both went out of bounds. It was a great throw and so clutch considering how much was on the line. Offense scored on that series, left less than a minute on the clock and the defense let VT come back and score a TD for the win. If Tevin had a better defense (like that turn over forcing machine in 2014), his legacy would have been totally different IMO.

With all that said, Tevin still didn't have a very strong arm, but he was a great QB. He was like the Peyton Manning equivalent in an option offense (towards the end of his career at Denver when his arm strength was clearly deteriorating). Ran the offense so well that it more than made up for his physical short comings.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Tevin also had that clutch completion against VT the year Nesbitt broke his arm (or was it the year after?) It was like 4th and 12ish with under 2 minutes to go, he scrambled out of the pocket ran towards the sideline and completed it to the A-back (I think it was number 4) just before they both went out of bounds. It was a great throw and so clutch considering how much was on the line. Offense scored on that series, left less than a minute on the clock and the defense let VT come back and score a TD for the win. If Tevin had a better defense (like that turn over forcing machine in 2014), his legacy would have been totally different IMO.

With all that said, Tevin still didn't have a very strong arm, but he was a great QB. He was like the Peyton Manning equivalent in an option offense (towards the end of his career at Denver when his arm strength was clearly deteriorating). Ran the offense so well that it more than made up for his physical short comings.
Truthfully you only gotta be able to throw accuratly 25 yards down field in this offense. if everything is working that reciever is wide open.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Um, you are going off the premise that the current staff that came in knows what they are doing when it comes to game coaching and scheme. They chose to move directly to their offense instead of maybe running some kind of hybrid until they got the players to fit. If Collins had won 6 games last year and maybe 5 this year that perception would not exist. Also the inability to make field goals and extra points had nothing to do with CPJ, another coaching blunder.

If you told Kansas that by hiring CPJ they would win 7 games a year.....they would be ecstatic. And I think he could do it in the Big 12 because their defenses could never stop his offense.
I think we should have used a hybrid offense like you said. Something like Tulane uses. Or the early Urban Meyer version.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Tevin had a few bad throws but so does every QB. The key thing with Tevin. Was he knew where to go with the ball he rarely forced anything unless there was no choice. Especially after his first season. Deaperation interceptions dont really count.
my guess is they probably do,