Nate Cottrell...just a question, nothing bad

91Wreck

Jolly Good Fellow
Well … the problem with this argument is that Cottrell is much faster then Mason and Howard and faster then Griffin. He doesn't need to plant fakes; all he needs to do is accelerate. Like he did last year, for instance.

But you won't get an argument from me about Nate at TB. I don't think he'd be as effective as Mason or Howard there (Griffin or Smith is another story). He does need more touches, however. It'll pay off if he gets them. We'll see, I suppose.

Sorry but he is not in Griffins league either. The Griffin touchdown that was called back was a special run. Nate would have been tackled for a loss.

And I hate talking about Nate like this. He is a tech man thru and thru. Let's just be happy with what he has done for us. The TD catch was great and I was so happy for him to find the endzone.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

thebull35

Jolly Good Fellow
Nothing against Nate, but TWO college coaching staffs have watched him everyday and both have come to the conclusion that his role in the offense should be limited to what it has been. Great kid to have around the program but at this point it is what it is. Let It Go!

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Nate was frankly not played much under CPJ either where he averaged 3.4 carries per game the last 2 years. But I still love the guy. I really appreciate Nate because it seems like he bought into the new coach and culture more than any other senior. As a leader on the team, that's incredibly important for getting the younger players to also buy in as well and create a better team environment. I think it'd be great if he decided he wanted to join the staff as a GA when he finishes, it'd probably do really well to ease the transition even more. He's got great energy and would fit in perfectly, especially as an aid to Coach Lew.

Nate was a great blocker. I think he lost a lot of his bend with his knee injury.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
He has to plant and get up field eventually because the football field is only so wide. Good running backs need more than speed. They need vision, burst, acceleration, and lateral quickness. Nate's a great guy and a good player for us, but he wouldn't be able to produce at the level Mason, Howard, and Griffin can produce. Griffin's overturned TD run alone was enough to showcase his raw talent. In 3+ years, Nate hasn't shown the ability to turn out a run like that.
WARNING: You should turn the sound off for this clip! The lyrics in the background are extremely offensive. Apologies for that; the clip was so dispositive I had to use it. And now back to our regularly scheduled program:

You mean something like these?

Well, so much for lacking "… vision, burst, acceleration, and lateral quickness". He's got all of that. And, of course, your memory appears to be - shall we say? - selective. But, hey, you're right about Howard! Paul said it best: "He's a wrecking ball."

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Sorry but he is not in Griffins league either. The Griffin touchdown that was called back was a special run. Nate would have been tackled for a loss.

And I hate talking about Nate like this. He is a tech man thru and thru. Let's just be happy with what he has done for us. The TD catch was great and I was so happy for him to find the endzone.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Yes, this has turned into yet another thread pitting player against player, staff against staff. Ugh. Well, I guess this thread actually kinda started out that way to begin with. Exhausting, man.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
WARNING: You should turn the sound off for this clip! The lyrics in the background are extremely offensive. Apologies for that; the clip was so dispositive I had to use it. And now back to our regularly scheduled program:

Well, so much for lacking "… vision, burst, acceleration, and lateral quickness". He's got all of that. And, of course, your memory appears to be - shall we say? - selective. But, hey, you're right about Howard! Paul said it best: "He's a wrecking ball."

Dude, did you even watch any of the runs in this video? Or did you just look at the results of big gains and be like, “yep, a lot of cuts and vision on display here.” The only run Cottrell that’s not virtually in a straight line was the one against UGAg. I can agree that was a good run that showed some athleticism. The others were simply taking the pitch or the toss and running straight downfield through a huge hole. Another back might score in the one against VT. Nate gets taken down by a guy already on the ground, and one that could’ve been avoided if he could back into the field. Yes Nate is fast, as proven by this video, but he’s a very one dimensional runner, as also proven by this video. Do you think that nobody else could’ve pulled off those big gains besides him? Because I think just about every back in the country would have similar results running straight downfield with only a safety in front of them.

Southpawmac

Helluva Engineer
Dude, did you even watch any of the runs in this video? Or did you just look at the results of big gains and be like, “yep, a lot of cuts and vision on display here.” The only run Cottrell that’s not virtually in a straight line was the one against UGAg. I can agree that was a good run that showed some athleticism. The others were simply taking the pitch or the toss and running straight downfield through a huge hole. Another back might score in the one against VT. Nate gets taken down by a guy already on the ground, and one that could’ve been avoided if he could back into the field. Yes Nate is fast, as proven by this video, but he’s a very one dimensional runner, as also proven by this video. Do you think that nobody else could’ve pulled off those big gains besides him? Because I think just about every back in the country would have similar results running straight downfield with only a safety in front of them.
I'm glad I'm not the only one that saw the same thing. Every time he had to make a slight cut, the defender caught him and he went down. None of those runs even come close to the run Griffin had called back last Saturday.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
One thing I should have added about Cottrell:

Look at his second run in the film. He turns the corner and runs flat out in a straight line. I think a lot of people gage him from things like this. But look at the actual play. Once he got to the second level, his best bet was to square up and turn on the jets. He did and almost got past that last Vol defender because of it. Anybody as fast as he is does that unless he has to juke a bit; Tony Hollings ran just like this, btw.

As for some of your analysis I'd advise another look at the clip. In the VT run if he had cut back to the field, he'd have been caught by all three DBs. His only chance was to turn on the jets and that would have worked except for a lucky shoestring tackle. For, I would note, 72 yards. And he had several runs where he … Oh, why am I bothering? If you can't use trust your lying eyes, what can I do about it?

Kolbigriffin3

Georgia Tech Fan
I'm glad I'm not the only one that saw the same thing. Every time he had to make a slight cut, the defender caught him and he went down. None of those runs even come close to the run Griffin had called back last Saturday.

I didn’t wanna be bias and say it. THANK YOU!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer

No offense but the video you posted does not show vision, it was literally getting the ball and turning the corner to run straight up field, that’s exactly what the play calls for. (Not saying he doesn’t have vision though) it also doesn’t show lateral quickness, if you watch, he rounds off his runs to the edge and it takes multiple steps to get fully turned up field. Lateral quickness would look like a guy hasn’t slowed down and can cut on a dime. Much like Gibbs or Griffin. This is nothing against Nate, he’s good at what he does, but this system isn’t really set to his strengths. Watch this below! Straight nasty, he and Gibbs are going to be a top tier 1,2 punch in the years to come imo.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
One thing I should have added about Cottrell:

Look at his second run in the film. He turns the corner and runs flat out in a straight line. I think a lot of people gage him from things like this. But look at the actual play. Once he got to the second level, his best bet was to square up and turn on the jets. He did and almost got past that last Vol defender because of it. Anybody as fast as he is does that unless he has to juke a bit; Tony Hollings ran just like this, btw.

As for some of your analysis I'd advise another look at the clip. In the VT run if he had cut back to the field, he'd have been caught by all three DBs. His only chance was to turn on the jets and that would have worked except for a lucky shoestring tackle. For, I would note, 72 yards. And he had several runs where he … Oh, why am I bothering? If you can't use trust your lying eyes, what can I do about it?
Please don’t take this wrong, it’s not meant as disrespect at all. Your last comment on here is a little crazy to me though. Most people are disagreeing with you, yet you tell someone they have lying eyes? Couldn’t we say the same about you?

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Why is Nate not being used on offense. It makes no sense to not utilize his speed and experience. We are wasting his talents by not coming up with ways to get him playing time and ways to get him the ball. He is one of the fastest on the team and he has the most heart of any player that been at tech since Kelly Rhino. Wish someone in media would ask CGC why he not getting more playing time Bc it makes no sense. He and Oliver should be on the field at least 60 percent of time and him and brown should be alternating in the slot. It makes no sense to me.

Nate is not a receiver in the way Brown and Adonicas are. He is more akin to Tobais in how he would be used. His best value to us is in special teams and that is where he is being used. He is fast, to be sure, but how elusive is he after the catch, how good are his routes? If we have a triple option or double option play called with a man in motion then he and TO would be the ones to be out there.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
As others have noted, he's just too stiff. Reminds me of Broderick Snoddy in that he's extremely fast, but there's not much else going on there. If he's not running in a straight line, not much good is going to happen. Pretty obvious when you watch him return kicks. It seems like you're a fan of him, but if you've watched him, you should know why he's not getting reps on offense.

Man, there you had to go and remind me of another "what if?" Broderick seemingly looked the part, muscular, fast, the whole 9 yards but he was stiff and lacked vision and did not have the best hands in the world. That said, I much appreciate the contributions both he and Nate have made to our program without complaint or griping about playing time. A pleasure to have watched both of them perform.

Kolbigriffin3

Georgia Tech Fan
No offense but the video you posted does not show vision, it was literally getting the ball and turning the corner to run straight up field, that’s exactly what the play calls for. (Not saying he doesn’t have vision though) it also doesn’t show lateral quickness, if you watch, he rounds off his runs to the edge and it takes multiple steps to get fully turned up field. Lateral quickness would look like a guy hasn’t slowed down and can cut on a dime. Much like Gibbs or Griffin. This is nothing against Nate, he’s good at what he does, but this system isn’t really set to his strengths. Watch this below! Straight nasty, he and Gibbs are going to be a top tier 1,2 punch in the years to come imo.

My brother is a beast ready to be unleashed ALL THE WAY!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk