Nate Cottrell...just a question, nothing bad

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Nate is one of my favorite players, but he was given a fair chance in spring and fall to earn PT at both the slot and RB. Other guys were better. Brown is just too good and I think Kalani Norris is number 2 at Slot. Nate has handled it like a pro and he has a chance at a camp invite as a special teamer.

With nfl limited roster there are no teams that take guys just to be gunners. Even don beebe had other roles as at least backup nfl quality and was a productive backup, good returner and slot wr backup.

I am not trying to be debbie downer, but if he cant crack our lineup doing something else, then he surely isnt at the nfl level.

Go look at the nfl sp teams players. They are all 2nd or 3rd string skill guys or defenders; its super rare now just to have a guy all he plays is sp teams and never sees the field doing something else (meaning as a backup) When collins talks about sp teams being a path to the nfl he is right, but its in the vein of if you are already nfl quality in some facet, are battling it with another player of equal quality, sp teams can be the thing that gets you over the hump to make a team vs that other player. But i assure you, both are still nfl quality doing something else.

Of course. This doesnt go for long snappers and kickers.

Sure. Nate could be invited initially to some camp like many are. I wont argue that, heck some camps have even invited walkons. Not kidding, not college walkons, i mean guys trying to walkon to the nfl. But lets be real here. Taking a roster spot just to gun aint happening or cover kickoffs. And frankly. What has been so great of him on film being a gunner? He gets downfield fast but rarely makes a play. So what is nfl quality?

I like the kid i do. But lets be honest here.

Deleted member 2897

With nfl limited roster there are no teams that take guys just to be gunners. Even don beebe had other roles as at least backup nfl quality and was a productive backup, good returner and slot wr backup.

I am not trying to be debbie downer, but if he cant crack our lineup doing something else, then he surely isnt at the nfl level.

Go look at the nfl sp teams players. They are all 2nd or 3rd string skill guys or defenders; its super rare now just to have a guy all he plays is sp teams and never sees the field doing something else (meaning as a backup) When collins talks about sp teams being a path to the nfl he is right, but its in the vein of if you are already nfl quality in some facet, are battling it with another player of equal quality, sp teams can be the thing that gets you over the hump to make a team vs that other player. But i assure you, both are still nfl quality doing something else.

Sure. Nate could be invited initially to some camp like many are. I wont argue that, heck some camps have even invited walkons. Not kidding, not college walkons, i mean guys trying to walkon to the nfl. But lets be real here. Taking a roster spot just to gun aint happening or cover kickoffs. And frankly. What has been so great of him on film being a gunner? He gets downfield fast but rarely makes a play. So what is nfl quality?

Yea I think we’re allowed 85 on scholarship but 100 total including walk-ons...and aren’t NFL teams restricted to 55?

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
I’m just saying that he can help and he should be given a chance in a game to contribute more in they offense that has been struggling for the most part of the year.
I love the guy but I love him like the coaches love him. The love is for being a leader and someone that will do anything for the team and not complain. You know, like play on special teams because of his speed and run a strait line down the field and catch a ball on a trick play. He is being used as much as possible taking into account that during practice it is obvious he is the 3rd or 4th slot receiver, the 5th best running back, the 4th best kick returner, the 4th best punt returner and so on. Once again, I absolutely love the guy.

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
No idea. I thought we were going to find ways to use the talent we had on offense. There was going to be a hybrid WR/RB that was going to give opposing LBs something to worry about.

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
I think one of the issues is also the fact that he is a Sr playing for a new staff and new O. There are many quality players at his position that are younger. When you have a new staff come in as a Sr, unless you are clearly better than others the playing time is going to be given to the younger guys cause the extra pt will help the overall team next year. With that said I wish he was used to take the top off the d and run lots of deep patterns where he didn’t have to change direction and utilize his speed. It could open up some underneath routes. I know they have shown him in jet sweep a couple of times but never handed off. It wouldn’t be that much different than a rocket toss. But that would be one less carry for JP and I don’t think he is getting nearly enough carries as he should. He probably knew what this season was going to be for him in terms of pt. I’m glad he was able to score this year as a Sr.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer

It may well be unlikely, but I mentioned it because Collins has mentioned it. If not, maybe he can join the strength staff someday. Just the kind of guy you like to have around your program.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
It may well be unlikely, but I mentioned it because Collins has mentioned it. If not, maybe he can join the strength staff someday. Just the kind of guy you like to have around your program.

yeah i like nate and I am with you. But what Collins really means is what I alluded to. In the nfl the deal breaker for making a roster as a higher draft pick, or close to the cutline in any status, is sp teams play.

no nfl team puts guys on the roster unless they can contribute in multiple facets (unless a pure starter); and thats what geoff means.

And, he is right. Guys like tim dwight, (backup wr), or don beebe, etc all made careers out of sp teams performance, but they also played on 3rd down packages, were legit backup WR etc....

GoGATech

Jolly Good Fellow
Great player, but his speed is mostly straight-line. He doesn’t seem to change direction without almost stopping. Go back and watch some kick returns or some of the rocket tosses where he would be quick to the edge but get caught quickly turning upfield. I was the exact same way when I played. The reason we don’t see more of him is because we have a huge stable of competent backs and plenty of speed.
Very good assessment, and I love Nate as a player for us and what all he's done for this program. The kid has a heart that is unmatched. He's made a couple decent tackles, but watch him on punt returns. He is always the first down the field, but he can't slow down and adjust himself well enough or quick enough to make the tackle many times. He runs right past the guy fielding the punt, and many times they end up getting decent returns out of it. He needs to learn how to better control his speed so that his timing is right to be there as soon as the guy fields the ball, or be there early enough so that he has to fair catch it. If he's 5 yards away when the guy catches it, most times he runs right by and whiffs.

slugboy

Staff member
Uh, I don't want to rain on this thread's parade, but Cottrell had the highest ypc of any returning. That the staff can't find a way to utilize that is a major failing, imho. In fact, our team speed at RB has being largely wasted so far. Let's hope that stops as the O matures.

He’s a senior they need to give him more of a chance than they are giving him. All I hear from CGC is praise for him but he not practicing what he preaches. I promise you he at least or not better than what we seen playing so far. Just give him touches in the game two prove himself.

We have at least 20 years of having players who could do something special if you just got them the ball; probably more. There are some things you can fault this staff for, but they definitely scheme to get the ball into the hands of playmakers, and the fake punt is a great example.

The tight end screen passes are a counter example.

I’m sure they’re scheming more plays like we saw on Saturday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
yeah i like nate and I am with you. But what Collins really means is what I alluded to. In the nfl the deal breaker for making a roster as a higher draft pick, or close to the cutline in any status, is sp teams play.

no nfl team puts guys on the roster unless they can contribute in multiple facets (unless a pure starter); and thats what geoff means.

And, he is right. Guys like tim dwight, (backup wr), or don beebe, etc all made careers out of sp teams performance, but they also played on 3rd down packages, were legit backup WR etc....

I think a guy like Howard had a better shot making a roster in the ST route. He’s a guy that could play RB if you need him to and is more versatile.

Nate is a GT man and I appreciate the work he’s put in and his attitude. I don’t think the OP is being honest with him/herself here though.

1st: Brown is the fastest player on the team and easily the most ideal for the slot. He is going to be really good and may be the best WR on the team now as a true FR. The next guy up for reps at WR is Oliver who we are trying to find ways to get touches.

2nd: Mason, Howard, and Griffin are head and shoulders better pure RBs. Why would you take the ball out of their hands?

3rd: In response to this -
Cottrell had the highest ypc of any returning. That the staff can't find a way to utilize that is a major failing, imho.

1. The system was designed for Abacks to lead the team in YPC. Most of that was due to how well the other Aback blocked on a particular play. Honestly Lynch suffered last year because he was our best blocking Aback most of the time and lost touches and production due to that.
2. That is actually a false statement. Jarrett actually averaged 4 ypc more than Cottrell last year.
3. How has the staff “failed to utilize” him? Did Paul “fail to utilize” him as well since he only touched the ball 6% of the time last year? Or could it be that there are other players that give us a better chance when they have the ball in their hands? Neither staff failed to utilize him.

Cottrell is a solid player and awesome teammate. He’s a guy you want on your side and to go to battle with. The fact he isn’t getting more touches just means that we have some talented guys ahead if him.

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
There's a lot to be said about the guy who excels at Special Teams. Not everybody can walk the tightrope like Dion Sanders. He has found his role and is the best in the country at the Gunner position. Teams need guys like that because they are vital when it comes time to flip the field. Dont get your feelings hurt on this one, Nate knows why hes on ST and it appears he's accepted his role doing whatever it takes to help his team win.

BuzzThePlumber

Helluva Engineer
Why is Nate not being used on offense. It makes no sense to not utilize his speed and experience. We are wasting his talents by not coming up with ways to get him playing time and ways to get him the ball. He is one of the fastest on the team and he has the most heart of any player that been at tech since Kelly Rhino. Wish someone in media would ask CGC why he not getting more playing time Bc it makes no sense. He and Oliver should be on the field at least 60 percent of time and him and brown should be alternating in the slot. It makes no sense to me.
There was a play that Ibeeballin put up on his thread tat showed a pass that should have been thrown to Nate, and Graham could have avoided a sack

swarmer

Ramblin' Wreck

Kevin Cone played 3 or 4 years in the league and never played more than a handful of snaps at WR. The same could be said for Chris Reis.

Can certainly make a roster as a ST player. That said, idk if Nate has been all that great at ST this year.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
I am so thankful to have Cottrell.

He was recruited for the triple. He could have mailed in and sowed discontent when the new staff came on, but instead he bought in, been a leader, worked hard, and shown others what hard work looks like. Incredible that he got that TD, and great use of his speed. Just doesn't fit as well in the new O, having to learn a bunch of new stuff. Plus behind A. Brown who is a phenom.

But make not mistake, Cottrell has been instrumental in helping create a never-say-day, attack everything culture. And it won't surprise me to see him show up big at times this season, about when you've forgotten about him. Character is what you do when no one is watching.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
I wonder if he should be out there more for his attitude and leadership. Putting the ball in his hands can be a great way to stabilize a team that doesn't have his experience and attitude to rely on when trying to weather the storm of uncertainty. That said, the end results of the remainder of what happens this year and the most important thing.