Nate Cottrell...just a question, nothing bad

gthxxxx

Jolly Good Fellow
I guess we are arguing two different things. The point of ibeeballins post was not about the play being exactly the same but was to show how Lynch was able to put is foot in the ground without losing much if any momentum at all and how Cottrell rounded his run off when he had the same opportunity to put his foot in the ground. I do disagree that you would lose to much momentum by planting and turning up field, it’s all done in one motion and in stride when someone is able to do it, and there is no force against them. And that’s the point.

the main point of this thread was to see why Cottrell is not getting the ball more. The point of the video was to show he doesn’t put his foot in the ground and turn up and he doesn’t have lateral quickness. Dude is fast as all get out, and is good at what he does. This system however is not the best system for him. As a RB you need to put your foot in the ground and turn up field on stretch zone plays, you need to have kinda that false step when you get the ball and your reading your blockers etc. that’s one reason Mason has done so well, when he gets the ball behind the LOS he’s able to have that little false step or whatever you want to call it before he takes off and makes a cut.

regardless I’m glad Cottrell is on the team, and he brings a good bit of value to the team.
???

... it's basic physics that a sharp cut would lose built up momentum for any moving object when changing trajectory. It's only a "decent bit" based off of 20/20 hindsight due to the cut block that brought the pursuing defender down (almost didn't) and as you mentioned, Cottrell made minor adjustments along his run as he navigated with what he believed to be a safe margin through a changing path allowed by the blockers/defenders. The camera angle of the first video also doesn't allow us to see the full field of vision beyond the immediate level of defenders as Cottrell makes his run.

In the end, I'm not even making any statement comparing Lynch or Cottrell's ability to cut. I'm saying these two videos are two completely different situations where it's silly to conclude that Cottrell was even attempting to cut. I further make the argument that it's highly probable performing a cut in Cottrell's video given what's shown would be the wrong move.
Highlighted main disagreement in bold. Also, I'm just assessing the videos; I'm not making a statement on the "main point of this thread".

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
He’s talking about once he got the ball, Lunch was able to put one foot in the ground and turn up field once he had the chance. Cottrell had the same opportunity once he got the ball and was outside but he still had to “round” his run off, he didn’t put that foot in the ground and turn up. Once again, if most everyone is disagreeing with you including an ex COLLEGE player don’t you think everyone else may just be right?

this isn’t a hit on Cottrell, he’s good at what he does, but if you are wondering why he doesn’t get the ball as much it’s because this offense isn’t set up best for him. The read option game calls for guys to be able to put a foot in the ground and go. It’s not as much of a “down hill” old school running game which is what Cottrell would be better at imo.

Don't you just hate spell check? :)

Sidewalking

Banned
This video destroyed any potential argument you had

giphy.gif

Look how it appears Nate is running around a hoopla hoop just to get field. This is the stiffness everyone is alluding to.

By comparison look at Lynch on the same play
giphy.gif

He is not fighting to get up field

Neither player appears to be struggling to cut up field. Nate was running toward open space. Should he have cut harder to get closer to a defender????

slugboy

Staff member
Why is Nate not being used on offense. It makes no sense to not utilize his speed and experience. We are wasting his talents by not coming up with ways to get him playing time and ways to get him the ball. He is one of the fastest on the team and he has the most heart of any player that been at tech since Kelly Rhino. Wish someone in media would ask CGC why he not getting more playing time Bc it makes no sense. He and Oliver should be on the field at least 60 percent of time and him and brown should be alternating in the slot. It makes no sense to me.
Back to the post that started everything. Brown and Blancato and Oliver are great athletes and great playmakers. There's only so many spots for receivers. Running back is also loaded. The coaches are working to get him chances to play, but the guys he's competing against can be electric when they get the ball.
If he had most of his current speed at Tight End, and he was 6'5", he'd never come out on offense. He's just in a logjam at the positions where he fits. It's no detriment to him. It's just a tough situation.

Sidewalking

Banned
Back to the post that started everything. Brown and Blancato and Oliver are great athletes and great playmakers. There's only so many spots for receivers. Running back is also loaded. The coaches are working to get him chances to play, but the guys he's competing against can be electric when they get the ball.
If he had most of his current speed at Tight End, and he was 6'5", he'd never come out on offense. He's just in a logjam at the positions where he fits. It's no detriment to him. It's just a tough situation.

Interesting point. Oliver is perhaps the best athlete on the team and is wasting away on the sidelines after the mid season move to WR. Unfortunate series of circumstances? Poor decision making by coaches throughout? Or a combination of both? But two of the most athletic guys, with playing experience, are sitting mostly. It would be harder to question the coaching angle if Tech wasn't pretty horrid on offense specifically. Reasons and excuses are just reasons and excuses. Results matter. If Tech doesn't get straightened out next year it will hurt any momentum Tech hopes to build in recruiting.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
This was kinda what I was trying to show in my post too. Nate is a great athlete, but we have other great athletes too. I feel like Nate could be a mismatch problem, but I think we also have other players who fit that same role. I've always like him and am cheering for him, but having too good athletes competing for spots is a good thing.

slugboy

Staff member
Interesting point. Oliver is perhaps the best athlete on the team and is wasting away on the sidelines after the mid season move to WR. Unfortunate series of circumstances? Poor decision making by coaches throughout? Or a combination of both? But two of the most athletic guys, with playing experience, are sitting mostly. It would be harder to question the coaching angle if Tech wasn't pretty horrid on offense specifically. Reasons and excuses are just reasons and excuses. Results matter. If Tech doesn't get straightened out next year it will hurt any momentum Tech hopes to build in recruiting.
Oliver had two receptions in the Miami game; he just didn’t have the impact that Brown and Sanders did. He’s getting in the game, and there are plays designed to go to him. But, Miami was the Jordan Mason show as far as the Tech offense was concerned, and that’s one reason you may not have seen a lot of passing in the game.
I guess I’m a little surprised that people are wondering why the coaches aren’t using Nate Cottrell more, immediately after the game where they went out of their way to scheme him a 41-yard touchdown.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
He’s talking about once he got the ball, Lunch was able to put one foot in the ground and turn up field once he had the chance. Cottrell had the same opportunity once he got the ball and was outside but he still had to “round” his run off, he didn’t put that foot in the ground and turn up. Once again, if most everyone is disagreeing with you including an ex COLLEGE player don’t you think everyone else may just be right?
Just one point. I played in college too. Back in the Dark Ages, admittedly, but just sayin'.

White_Gold

GT Athlete
I played D1 football at Gardner-Webb and transferred to a Juco here in Atlanta to keep chasing my baseball dreams. I found out the hard way that being a 2 sport athlete is only for a select few athletes[emoji23]. So now I’m right down the street from my brothers here in Atlanta at a junior college and I’m eligible to transfer after this fall semester!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You'll learn that there are some fonts on this particular site that will never drop their strongly held convictions based upon very little info. It's like arguing with an atheist about the existence of God or vice versa. You'll never convince them. FFS, they think they know better than the coaches who attend and run practice. It's ok, they're still fans, learn to take it with a grain of salt.

I love the way your brother plays, he's undoubtedly a better back than Cot and it's going to show in 2020.