Nate Cottrell...just a question, nothing bad

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
No offense but the video you posted does not show vision, it was literally getting the ball and turning the corner to run straight up field, that’s exactly what the play calls for. (Not saying he doesn’t have vision though) it also doesn’t show lateral quickness, if you watch, he rounds off his runs to the edge and it takes multiple steps to get fully turned up field. Lateral quickness would look like a guy hasn’t slowed down and can cut on a dime. Much like Gibbs or Griffin. This is nothing against Nate, he’s good at what he does, but this system isn’t really set to his strengths. Watch this below! Straight nasty, he and Gibbs are going to be a top tier 1,2 punch in the years to come imo.

You know who Jamious reminds me a little of? Good old number 17, Orwin Smith. Same kind of long, lean, frame, upright kind of running style and both were plenty fast with good vision. Jamious has that ability to cut without losing speed and that may separate him from Orwin and a lot of other running backs. He will be a good one for us for years to come.

Kolbigriffin3

Georgia Tech Fan
Dude your brother is gonna be a friggin STUD, I’m just happy he’s on our side. Both of the Griffin boys are gonna be fire. We are proud to have them and welcome the entire Griffin fam. Welcome to the board.
Thank you so much!! Lord willing we’ll have one more transferring on the football team really soon and myself transferring here in baseball!

Kolbigriffin3

Georgia Tech Fan
Where are you playing now?

I played D1 football at Gardner-Webb and transferred to a Juco here in Atlanta to keep chasing my baseball dreams. I found out the hard way that being a 2 sport athlete is only for a select few athletes[emoji23]. So now I’m right down the street from my brothers here in Atlanta at a junior college and I’m eligible to transfer after this fall semester!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I played D1 football at Gardner-Webb and transferred to a Juco here in Atlanta to keep chasing my baseball dreams. I found out the hard way that being a 2 sport athlete is only for a select few athletes[emoji23]. So now I’m right down the street from my brothers here in Atlanta at a junior college and I’m eligible to transfer after this fall semester!

That’s awesome, I had to quit my baseball career. Threw my elbow out in East Cobb my senior year. Once I healed up I went to play on a club team and then was going to try and make a team somewhere. Threw my shoulder out almost immediately after my elbow was better, so I quit lol.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer

Keep working young man...eyes on the prize, always!

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
No offense but the video you posted does not show vision, it was literally getting the ball and turning the corner to run straight up field, that’s exactly what the play calls for. (Not saying he doesn’t have vision though) it also doesn’t show lateral quickness, if you watch, he rounds off his runs to the edge and it takes multiple steps to get fully turned up field. Lateral quickness would look like a guy hasn’t slowed down and can cut on a dime. Much like Gibbs or Griffin. This is nothing against Nate, he’s good at what he does, but this system isn’t really set to his strengths. Watch this below! Straight nasty, he and Gibbs are going to be a top tier 1,2 punch in the years to come imo.

Ah, dueling high school films! Let's compare, shall we?

I don't see a whole lot of difference. Except that Cottrell is noticeably faster; there's nothing in Griffin's film where he simply leaves the other team in the dust like Cottrell does in this film. Griffin is cuter, but not quite as good an inside runner, imho. I might also add that Cottrell played in a stronger division. But, of course, this is high school.

But none of this has much to do with the original arguments here. I think Cottrell should be seeing the field more nd that, if he does, we'll benefit. It really is that simple. Now that we've decided to run the ball (again, about friggin' time) maybe Nathan will get more touches. In future, I don't doubt that Griffin will be a good back at Tech and Gibbs too, but then I never said anything about that.

GTZachary

Jolly Good Fellow

I don't see a whole lot of difference. Except that Cottrell is noticeably faster; there's nothing in Griffin's film where he simply leaves the other team in the dust like Cottrell does in this film. Griffin is cuter, but not quite as good an inside runner, imho. I might also add that Cottrell played in a stronger division. But, of course, this is high school.

But none of this has much to do with the original arguments here. I think Cottrell should be seeing the field more nd that, if he does, we'll benefit. It really is that simple. Now that we've decided to run the ball (again, about friggin' time) maybe Nathan will get more touches. In future, I don't doubt that Griffin will be a good back at Tech and Gibbs too, but then I never said anything about that.

You also previously compared Gibbs’ film to Amerson’s. So I think we’re all just going to have to accept that you have a unique film evaluation process when it comes to running backs. This thread has run its course; shoutout to Cottrell for being a great teammate and a great Tech man.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer

So I used high school film because Griffin doesn’t have much college film. I’ll also add the Cottrell is probably faster. However, besides that, they are completely different. Griffin has a true jump cut where you plant one foot in the ground and change directions. Not much slow down and it’s not a stutter step, that’s what Cottrell does (nothing wrong with that) There is vision and then there is elite vision, which are completely different. Griffin shows the ability for elite vision. He also has more power. Like I said, this is nothing against Cottrell, they are two different types of backs and that’s perfectly ok. The reason I disagree with your original statement is because imo Cottrell is not as suited for what we do on offense unless we are going to do some end around type stuff with him, wich I’d be perfectly fine with.

BurdellJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I played D1 football at Gardner-Webb and transferred to a Juco here in Atlanta to keep chasing my baseball dreams. I found out the hard way that being a 2 sport athlete is only for a select few athletes[emoji23]. So now I’m right down the street from my brothers here in Atlanta at a junior college and I’m eligible to transfer after this fall

TERRIFIC! Hurry up and get over here! Glad to have you on the board.

Kolbigriffin3

Georgia Tech Fan
That’s awesome, I had to quit my baseball career. Threw my elbow out in East Cobb my senior year. Once I healed up I went to play on a club team and then was going to try and make a team somewhere. Threw my shoulder out almost immediately after my elbow was better, so I quit lol.
Yea that’s the game we play! It can be just as brutal and even more mentally tough than anything else!

Kolbigriffin3

Georgia Tech Fan

I can’t tell whether if you’re drunk or just plain out disrespectful my brother????? Gatorade player of the year, Max preps player of the year and the list goes on and on. There’s a reason he’s not redshirting. And I refuse to let you try to determine his future. Listen to the things Choice says about my brother. He’s the RB’s coach and you’re not.... FOR A REASON.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I can’t tell whether if you’re drunk or just plain out disrespectful my brother????? Gatorade player of the year, Max preps player of the year and the list goes on and on. There’s a reason he’s not redshirting. And I refuse to let you try to determine his future. Listen to the things Choice says about my brother. He’s the RB’s coach and you’re not.... FOR A REASON.

With respect. He’s not dissing your brother. This conversation began by pointing to the virtues of Cottrell. I believe his point is both your brother and Nate had very impressive high school films and he disagrees with others who think Nate has no business getting reps except on special teams.

For what it’s worth. Fans on fan forums will always compare players. Opinions will differ. This will continue throughout your brothers’ careers. Ask any family member of a current or prior QB and they can probably relate how often this occurs and how different people will believe different players should get differing amounts of playing time.

It looks like your brother has a very bright future ahead at GT. To be honest I’d prefer to see him keep his redshirt if his playing time doesn’t increase quite a bit. Not because I don’t think he can contribute right now. Just because I think it would benefit him more long term unless his carries increase a lot this year.

And next year if another stud running back gets signed. Expect to see a lot of hype about the new guy and what a game changer he will be. That won’t be a diss on your brother either. It’s just typical fan hype and comes with the territory. Take what every fan says with a big grain of salt (lots here will say especially from me ;) ) and try not to take anything personally. Just enjoy the ride as your brother balls out.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Great player, but his speed is mostly straight-line. He doesn’t seem to change direction without almost stopping. Go back and watch some kick returns or some of the rocket tosses where he would be quick to the edge but get caught quickly turning upfield. I was the exact same way when I played. The reason we don’t see more of him is because we have a huge stable of competent backs and plenty of speed.

In a couple of games last year when TO was the QB, he turned upfield a lot sooner than TQM did. There were a few plays with Cottrell as the pitch man where the pitch took place basically going North-South. I think if we were still running the flexbone, TO was the QB, and Cottrell was a primary AB he would be putting up some impressive numbers this year.

To the OP: As it is, he appears to be doing a very good job of handling the transition, being a leader, and contributing everywhere he is asked to. In general I am, and have been for a long time, impressed with the quality of people we have as players, (As opposed to some of the players on other teams in the state an hour or so away) including Cottrell.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Whiskey says it for me above. I'm not getting on your brother. Shoot, in the very post you quote I say he'll be a good back in the future for Tech. Maybe a great one, though it is a little early to tell. I know about all the blues and firsts too and I agree he deserved them. All I'm saying is that Cottrell should get more touches. Finally, like every player in college football, your brother will determine his own future by his own efforts. Without much help or hinderance from either you or me.

Well, sorry I offended you.