Mutts

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
The irony in this is palpable...

uga: Young men at the beginning of their career make mistakes. They're learning from it, nothing to see here...

Also uga: This reporter digging into our alleged misdeeds was forced to resign 35 years ago for a mistake he made so he's not credible...
Mutt fans and consistency are mutually exclusive qualities. Mutt fans argue whatever they feel is in the best interest of the mutt program. They argue their points very aggressively, even if they argued the exact opposite point in the last sentence. I think they are so blinded by loyalty that they don't even realize it.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
Mutt fans and consistency are mutually exclusive qualities. Mutt fans argue whatever they feel is in the best interest of the mutt program. They argue their points very aggressively, even if they argued the exact opposite point in the last sentence. I think they are so blinded by loyalty that they don't even realize it.

Oh absolutely. That's kinda why I think of their program as a cult. They are so blinded and delusional that you can't even have an adult discussion about real problems.

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
Plausible deniability….any chance at all that UGA faces any real repercussions for allowing Darnell Washington to play in games since it has come out in the UT investigation that he was paid “According to reporting from the Knoxville News Sentinel's Adam Sparks, former Vols assistant coach Brian Niedermeyer paid Washington $750 in cash. Tennessee also allegedly provided nearly $2,000 to Washington, a former five-star recruit, in impermissible benefits via expenses paid on unofficial visits.”
Then Washington turns around and signs with UGA for free? And Kirby and the other recruiting or positional coaches at UGA didn’t know he had gotten money while visiting UT? I imagine Washington would have leveraged the situation and gotten some to a lot more out of UGA in order for him to sign with them instead of UT. My opinion nothing to prove otherwise. Just seems odd or smells of pay to play.

Techfan02

Ramblin' Wreck
Plausible deniability….any chance at all that UGA faces any real repercussions for allowing Darnell Washington to play in games since it has come out in the UT investigation that he was paid “According to reporting from the Knoxville News Sentinel's Adam Sparks, former Vols assistant coach Brian Niedermeyer paid Washington $750 in cash. Tennessee also allegedly provided nearly $2,000 to Washington, a former five-star recruit, in impermissible benefits via expenses paid on unofficial visits.”
Then Washington turns around and signs with UGA for free? And Kirby and the other recruiting or positional coaches at UGA didn’t know he had gotten money while visiting UT? I imagine Washington would have leveraged the situation and gotten some to a lot more out of UGA in order for him to sign with them instead of UT. My opinion nothing to prove otherwise. Just seems odd or smells of pay to play.
I mean he got money at UT and played at U(sic)ga for free?? Yea Right.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Nothing to see here...nothing at all. Move along now....move along....you, over there...keep moving....

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
Nothing to see here...nothing at all. Move along now....move along....you, over there...keep moving....
Most definitely. They’ve got a reputation to uphold. Definitely left UT high and dry and got no money to sign with UGA. In fact he may have even sent the $750 and paid back $2k in impermissible benefits to UT just to make sure everyone involved was in the clear.

MidtownJacket

Staff member

So to Summarize:
  • Judd was terminated for failing to meet journalistic standards.
  • AJC Adjusted the count of players who had remained with the team despite claims by women of sexual assault from 11 (original) to this gem: "The exact number of accusations by women involving Georgia players is unknown. Some cases result in no police investigation, but rather are handled through a confidential campus disciplinary system." Which I suspect uGA won't love.
  • AJC acknowledged the handling of two statements implied a continuation of the sentence, but stood by the interpretation in the original article connecting both thoughts.
  • The AJC Rejected the other elements questioned by the UGAA and Declined to withdraw the article (thus giving it a new news cycle life as it links the updated article with the adjusted headline: "UGA football program rallied in two incidents when players were accused of abusing women"
  • They had this writer author the response: "Brian Eason covers local government agencies across metro Atlanta for the AJC. A policy nerd at heart, Brian is drawn to stories that explain how our government works – and why it often doesn’t."

#MidtownHotTake™ on this? The AJC isn't done with the story and is intentionally responding in a show of force.

Last edited:

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

So to Summarize:
  • Judd was terminated for failing to meet journalistic standards.
  • AJC Adjusted the count of players who had remained with the team despite claims by women of sexual assault from 11 (original) to this gem: "The exact number of accusations by women involving Georgia players is unknown. Some cases result in no police investigation, but rather are handled through a confidential campus disciplinary system." Which I suspect uGA won't love.
  • AJC acknowledged the handling of two statements implied a continuation of the sentence, but stood by the interpretation in the original article connecting both thoughts.
  • The AJC Rejected the other elements questioned by the UGAA and Declined to withdraw the article (thus giving it a new news cycle life as it links the updated article with the adjusted headline: "UGA football program rallied in two incidents when players were accused of abusing women"
  • They had this writer author the response: "Brian Eason covers local government agencies across metro Atlanta for the AJC. A policy nerd at heart, Brian is drawn to stories that explain how our government works – and why it often doesn’t."

#MidtownHotTake™ on this? The AJC isn't done with the story and is intentionally responding in a show of force.

Interesting that they only backed down on two things: A count, and writing two statements as one statement. They did not back down on the minor things that the mutt's lawyers pointed out in their letter. I am sure that the mutt fans' response will be that this is proof that the entire story was a lie 'intended to bring down their dynasty'.

I am disappointed that they responded in a short (500 word?) blurb instead of a detailed refuting of the letter from the mutts, and a more detailed story about the accusations along with the audio and bodycam footage that they have. Another thing that it shows is the drop in editorial standards at news organizations now. Fifty years ago, the editors would have done this level of scrutiny to the story before it was published. Currently there are only a handful of organizations that perform to that high of a level.

Last edited by a moderator:

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

"AJC editors and attorneys investigated each complaint raised by university officials in the letter and found two elements of the story that did not meet the news organization’s journalistic standards, Editor-in-Chief Leroy Chapman said in a statement.

The AJC review found no instances of fabrications in the story, as the university’s letter had alleged, Chapman said.

In a statement, the AJC said the article’s author, investigative reporter Alan Judd, was terminated for violating the organization’s journalistic standards."

"In a second error, the article improperly joined two statements a detective made minutes apart into a single quotation, the statement said. Connecting the sentences did not change the meaning of the quote, but the way it was presented to readers failed to meet AJC standards, according to the statement."

And the parting shot at the end...

"The UGA article was the latest in a series of reports showing how football players often elude accountability for off-field infractions. The AJC previously reported that the program’s permissive culture tolerated reckless driving, excessive speeding and street racing by its players. That behavior culminated in tragedy when a high-speed car crash in January killed a football player and a member of the team’s staff, later leading to criminal charges against star defensive lineman Jalen Carter."

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Yeah I don't take this as a victory for the Dwag faithful, but more an intentional regrouping, and a tactical move. Wanting to make sure their ducks were in a row before a next article. The time was dragging from receipt of the letter and they needed to clarify Judd's status.

I THINK this was meant to be a, "we've done our due diligence and now we are loading up both barrels for bear" kinda moment.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
My take is a bit different. The ajc doesn't want to be wrong printing negative stories about uga football. So, they will be very careful moving ahead on this to make sure everything they print is dead on accurate. But, this kind of reporting is what coud save the newspaper model and they know it.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Yeah I don't take this as a victory for the Dwag faithful, but more an intentional regrouping, and a tactical move. Wanting to make sure their ducks were in a row before a next article. The time was dragging from receipt of the letter and they needed to clarify Judd's status.

I THINK this was meant to be a, "we've done our due diligence and now we are loading up both barrels for bear" kinda moment.

My take is a bit different. The ajc doesn't want to be wrong printing negative stories about uga football. So, they will be very careful moving ahead on this to make sure everything they print is dead on accurate. But, this kind of reporting is what coud save the newspaper model and they know it.

I think you're both correct. The AJC fired a reporter for minor errors in a major article, showing that they recognize how much journalistic integrity and accuracy means to them. They corrected those errors while still demonstrating that the correction of said errors does not change the tone or tenor of the allegations that were put forth. The new article, with corrections, still fires a broadside at the perceived corrupt culture at uga and is now penned by a reporter renowned for his work on pieces dealing with corruption and failures in government, signaling to uga that the AJC is in no way afraid to keep digging on this issue. This seems like a short term tactical victory for uga but a strategic loss that they may regret later.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I think you're both correct. The AJC fired a reporter for minor errors in a major article, showing that they recognize how much journalistic integrity and accuracy means to them. They corrected those errors while still demonstrating that the correction of said errors does not change the tone or tenor of the allegations that were put forth. The new article, with corrections, still fires a broadside at the perceived corrupt culture at uga and is now penned by a reporter renowned for his work on pieces dealing with corruption and failures in government, signaling to uga that the AJC is in no way afraid to keep digging on this issue. This seems like a short term tactical victory for uga but a strategic loss that they may regret later.
Bolding is my own, and is why I think this is why I’d be leary if I were uGAA. Seems to me they’re not going to be intimidated out of covering the story.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I don't think there are many newspapers left that actually provide critical editing of their stories. Too many have reduced staff so much that they can't have multiple editors critiquing stories before they are run. Newspapers have blog-like five sentence stories on their websites, and that style of writing (if you want to call it that) has merged in with the actual reporting.

I remember reading about the WSJ, Carreyrou, and the Theranos story. That was a long form story and it was very detailed. If I remember correctly, multiple editors reviewed the story and questioned him about sources and statements before the story was allowed to run. I believe that Theranos came to visit them a few days before the story ran and threatened to sue them if they ran the story. They then had a different group of editors and lawyers separately go through the information with Carreyrou. When Theranos came into their conference room and told them they were about to publish trade secrets and libelous material, the WSJ pretty much said FU.

The AJC apparently didn't do any of that before publishing this story. They claim that after that process, the story is still factually correct. It does appear to be factually correct. However, the AJC is not at the level of journalism as the WSJ, NYT, or Post. That isn't intended as a hard knock on them. I can't think of any other newspaper that is at that level of journalism. The great majority are closer to Twitter than they are to the WSJ.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I don't think there are many newspapers left that actually provide critical editing of their stories. Too many have reduced staff so much that they can't have multiple editors critiquing stories before they are run. Newspapers have blog-like five sentence stories on their websites, and that style of writing (if you want to call it that) has merged in with the actual reporting.

I remember reading about the WSJ, Carreyrou, and the Theranos story. That was a long form story and it was very detailed. If I remember correctly, multiple editors reviewed the story and questioned him about sources and statements before the story was allowed to run. I believe that Theranos came to visit them a few days before the story ran and threatened to sue them if they ran the story. They then had a different group of editors and lawyers separately go through the information with Carreyrou. When Theranos came into their conference room and told them they were about to publish trade secrets and libelous material, the WSJ pretty much said FU.

The AJC apparently didn't do any of that before publishing this story. They claim that after that process, the story is still factually correct. It does appear to be factually correct. However, the AJC is not at the level of journalism as the WSJ, NYT, or Post. That isn't intended as a hard knock on them. I can't think of any other newspaper that is at that level of journalism. The great majority are closer to Twitter than they are to the WSJ.
Agree that staffing is the main problem with journalism today. There is extreme pressure to get stories out quickly, because, time is money. But, back in the day, you might have had five different editors burning the midnight oil and fact checking to meet the morning deadline. It’s too bad because now more than ever we need the deeper reporting that print media used to provide regularly instead of the fast attack internet media culture that shapes so many of our conversations.

Glad the AJC is hanging in with this story.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Agree that staffing is the main problem with journalism today. There is extreme pressure to get stories out quickly, because, time is money. But, back in the day, you might have had five different editors burning the midnight oil and fact checking to meet the morning deadline. It’s too bad because now more than ever we need the deeper reporting that print media used to provide regularly instead of the fast attack internet media culture that shapes so many of our conversations.

The fourth estate is CRUCIAL in a democratic form of government. Societal acceptance of “internet reporting” has caused formal journalism to race to be first not right. It’s a problem for sure.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

Years ago I was a stringer at the ajc. We had a deadline and stories had to be in the hands of the copy desk editor well before that dealine. Then they went to a copy editor for grammar and punctuation. If it was potentioally a front page story the editorial board saw it and approved it. I believe the only step that's missing now is the copy editor step and that is, supposedly, autinated to some extent. Judd was fired for making two separate quotes read as if they were one. That's a big deal in reporting because it can change the meaning of what's said. It is also hard to catch in the editing process.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Years ago I was a stringer at the ajc. We had a deadline and stories had to be in the hands of the copy desk editor well before that dealine. Then they went to a copy editor for grammar and punctuation. If it was potentioally a front page story the editorial board saw it and approved it. I believe the only step that's missing now is the copy editor step and that is, supposedly, autinated to some extent. Judd was fired for making two separate quotes read as if they were one. That's a big deal in reporting because it can change the meaning of what's said. It is also hard to catch in the editing process.
You were a stringer and I did layout. Not front page 😂 though.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer

National outlets mocking AJC & uga....
"Close to 100 percent of Georgia’s voracious fan base probably read the AJC voraciously, or used to do so." Should we tell the author that uga fans cant read?

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
I want to vomit. I guess the physical evidence wasn't there.

( Sent from AJC News )
So he is accused of rape by 2 women(one a football staffer), gets a sweetheart deal of 1 year in county lock up, no prison or registry. This was the same player who had 8 teammates and Gantt attend his court hearing.
While out on bond, was arrested twice more in metro ATL, once for kidnapping-battery-false imprionment, and once for dui with simple assult. Those have yet to be decided.

The last two paragraphs are truly disgusting.

(Steve) Sadow (attorney) said Anderson's sentence does not shut the door on his aspirations to play in the NFL.

"It's definitely not over with," Sadow said.