Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I just want to know...which one of you mods came up with the idea for that crazy "@kg01" persona? For me, that was the dead giveaway that y'all were making sh*t up—I mean, no way that could be a real person posting.

uhy.gif

It was me who invented the persona known as @kg01. I had to divert attention when ice cream started disappearing from the Swarm break room.

wwyp.gif

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
I'll take 9,11,6,8,7,7,11,3,9,5,8 with only one year below .500 in the ACC to 3,3,3 or 7,7,7,7,9,7 gailey didn't really win 7-9 he won 9 once and the rest seven. johnson had 3 total years he won less than 7 but you cannot pick a consistent period within his tenure at give it as many years as gailey he didn't have more better seasons than gailey did.
take the first 6?
9 11 6 8 7 7
the last?
7 11 3 9 5 8
or the middle front?
6, 8, 7, 7, 11, 3
or the back middle?
7,7,11,3,9, 5
Here is your problem and all of those like you. I never said which I preferred. Just merely stated the fact there was only one coach that was consistently between 7-9 wins.

You are so hell bent on defending Johnson you don’t even know what you are defending him against.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Or even fewer if we eliminate all irrelevant arguments about previous head coaches.
Meh... it was pretty universally thought this job would be tough coming out if the option.
No it wasn’t universally thought. Prior to the first season the hype machine was in overdrive explaining how we needed a 7 year contact because following the option was going to be so hard. Cooler heads were skeptical and some saw the hype as a red flag.

I’m still hoping the red flags come to naught and we have a terrific season. But every time I see another attempt to blame a former coach my clinical training goes “uh-oh.”

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
No it wasn’t universally thought. Prior to the first season the hype machine was in overdrive explaining how we needed a 7 year contact because following the option was going to be so hard. Cooler heads were skeptical and some saw the hype as a red flag.

I’m still hoping the red flags come to naught and we have a terrific season. But every time I see another attempt to blame a former coach my clinical training goes “uh-oh.”
At this point, why are we bothering ? This is thread is so titled because of our team's performance under our current HC. CPJ retired. We want our current HC to win games. He has only won 3 per year.

Edit - was referring to Boaty's post speculating that any coach would have struggled. This one has struggled more than anyone envisioned - I think we can agree on that

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Here is your problem and all of those like you. I never said which I preferred. Just merely stated the fact there was only one coach that was consistently between 7-9 wins.

You are so hell bent on defending Johnson you don’t even know what you are defending him against.

But he wasn't consitently between 7 and 9s he was consistent winning 7 with one spike to 9. Are you being dense on purpose?

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
Serious question to those still on the hype train: At what point do you feel it’s appropriate to cut our losses with Collins? If we go 3-9 again next year is that enough? I’m not trying to be snide, it just felt like we all seemed to be on a similar page after 2020 that 3-9 wasn’t going to cut it again, but now that that’s happened, a lot of people seem to have accepted that with open arms.

yrp

Jolly Good Fellow
Serious question to those still on the hype train: At what point do you feel it’s appropriate to cut our losses with Collins? If we go 3-9 again next year is that enough? I’m not trying to be snide, it just felt like we all seemed to be on a similar page after 2020 that 3-9 wasn’t going to cut it again, but now that that’s happened, a lot of people seem to have accepted that with open arms.
Tbh, I think the fans are all done with him, but seeing the monetary repercussions of firing him (blame the AD), we have to keep him for 2022.

Top donors seemed to be okay to get rid of him this year, but the AD "had his man" and decided to keep him around for another year, tying their fates together.

Now, we're at a point where if he doesn't perform in 2022, he's out whether the AD agrees or not. The AD will probably be gone with him.

So yeah, going 3-9 next year is almost a guarantee that heads will roll across the entire GTAA. Hope that answers it for you.

What we can do now, is just hope 2022 goes really well - that'll save us a lot of time and money. Chip Long seems like he knows what he's doing and can be trusted to run the offense (should be night/day compared to Pnode). Geoff Collins has run good defenses in the past - hopefully he can step up and take over most DC duties since he won't have to spend time on Offense as much. Best case scenario, we win 6, have a great '23 recruiting class, and finally start winning at GT again. Worst case, he loses, we clean house, and try reloading without losing too much talent to the portal. I really hope we don't have to go through a coaching change for the next 3-5 years until this NIL/portal stuff settles down more.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Worst case, he loses, we clean house, and try reloading without losing too much talent to the portal. I really hope we don't have to go through a coaching change for the next 3-5 years until this NIL/portal stuff settles down more.
I would be willing to bet that if Collins is to be canned, Chip Long is the HC in waiting.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
Tbh, I think the fans are all done with him, but seeing the monetary repercussions of firing him (blame the AD), we have to keep him for 2022.

Top donors seemed to be okay to get rid of him this year, but the AD "had his man" and decided to keep him around for another year, tying their fates together.

Now, we're at a point where if he doesn't perform in 2022, he's out whether the AD agrees or not. The AD will probably be gone with him.

So yeah, going 3-9 next year is almost a guarantee that heads will roll across the entire GTAA. Hope that answers it for you.

What we can do now, is just hope 2022 goes really well - that'll save us a lot of time and money. Chip Long seems like he knows what he's doing and can be trusted to run the offense (should be night/day compared to Pnode). Geoff Collins has run good defenses in the past - hopefully he can step up and take over most DC duties since he won't have to spend time on Offense as much. Best case scenario, we win 6, have a great '23 recruiting class, and finally start winning at GT again. Worst case, he loses, we clean house, and try reloading without losing too much talent to the portal. I really hope we don't have to go through a coaching change for the next 3-5 years until this NIL/portal stuff settles down more.
I definitely agree with this. The AD is highly likely to be gone if things don't turn out well. He might be saved if the men's basketball team performed very well. But since they have an overall losing record and are 0-3 in league play (with the weakest ACC ever...only 1 team in the Top 25), I don't think that will save him either. When both of your top programs are performing poorly, the AD should be toast. Hopefully basketball turns it around and obviously football gets to at least a bowl.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
maybe the interim HC, but not HC in waiting. His credentials aren't anywhere near good enough for that
What credentials are you looking for? Collins wasn't exactly what we asked Santa for .... it's who we could afford. This is right out of the Homer Rice model ... surround a struggling coach with his replacement so you aren't caught flat-footed.