Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I think Sims gave us a better chance to win than Yates in any situation.

And yeah, he played bad in the first half. That doesn't mean he wouldn't have turned things around in the second.
So the guy who led us to a 14-0 deficit with a 4-9 performance for 23 yards a lost fumble and some of the ugliest passes ever seen was certainly going to do better than the guy who replaced him and led us on three scoring drives to take the lead before the defense squandered it? Sims getting injured was the only reason we had a chance in that game. He certainly had much better days this year. He was awful that day and assuming he was going to drink a red bull and turn into Aaron Rodgers at halftime seems like a fools hope.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Then he told this parable: “A man had a fig tree growing in his vineyard, and he went to look for fruit on it but did not find any. So he said to the man who took care of the vineyard, ‘For three years now I’ve been coming to look for fruit on this fig tree and haven’t found any. Cut it down! Why should it use up the soil?’

“‘Sir,’ the man replied, ‘leave it alone for one more year, and I’ll dig around it and fertilize it. If it bears fruit next year, fine! If not, then cut it down.’”

— Luke 13:6–9
Now there's some fresh material, and quite apropos.

The best thing I can think of to grow some wins this year would be a new DC. I honestly think that would do wonders for the mindset around here.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
So the guy who led us to a 14-0 deficit with a 4-9 performance for 23 yards a lost fumble and some of the ugliest passes ever seen was certainly going to do better than the guy who replaced him and led us on three scoring drives to take the lead before the defense squandered it?

You're right. Nobody has ever had a bad half and came back to play significantly better in the second half.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Like I said, I didn't move any goal posts.

Following post from Sep 2020 (notice how I mention top 15 not being realistic here):

Top 15 will be difficult to do here consistently if at all, though I didn't think CGC could do as well as he did last year, so nothing is certain. If we keep losing though, recruiting will only get tougher.

Notice here I said I think it's possible for us to stay in the 27th recruiting rank range below:

I think we can do that too (stay around 27). They've already shown they can do that in the first two cycles (I'll admit I was pleasantly surprised by this).
I meant since Mack has been there though, seems like they really kicked it into overdrive. If we can eventually get to that level, then we would be in business.

And finally below you mentioned that you didn't think UNC could maintain top 15 recruiting rankings they started seeing under Mack.

UNC in the last decade per rivals:
‘12- 44
‘21-15

avg recruiting ranking of 27- yeah i believe we can recruit like this consistently
They closed this year as the 8th ranked class.

Under Mack (per 247) they started at 14th ranked class, followed by 14th again, and then 8th for this year.Turns out we can't recruit to UNC levels. Do you still think we can compete with UNC in Recruiting?

The State of NC ‘21 recruiting talent was on par with a GA last yr and UNC pulled 95% of the instate guys in. I don’t see that being an annual thing for NC HS talent. They also did well in VA taking advantage of UVA & VT being in disarray. We will see if they replicate last season

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
That might be true if GT didn’t just sign two 4-star DTs for the first time ever, when the last time we’d signed a 4-star DT at all was 2010. Plus an elite 11 QB who decommitted from Big 12 and Sugar Bowl champ Baylor to come to GT.

Nobody wants to see that a coach actively recruiting their son/brother/nephew/player/student might get fired, and have countless people rooting for his termination. Especially not one who has been preaching having a plan for the future, and who’s primary draw among active players and recruits is being genuine and a players’ coach. Everyone knows Tech is struggling, they don’t need to go on a message board to see it. They probably also know that Collins’ seat is hot. I’m sure many recruits and their parents have asked some questions about the subject. This thread isn’t raising any awareness for those issues, all it’s doing is giving more reason for potential recruits and their families, coaches, and advisors more reasons to doubt and stay away from Tech. When it appears that half of the (already incredibly small) fanbase has given up on the program and belittles everyone involved with it, why would they want to send their kid here?

Gibbs’ departure doesn’t really tell you anything. His position coach left and he was given an opportunity to go play on a team who is all but guaranteed to compete for a national title. What do Spencer Rattler’s, Caleb Williams’, Dillon Gabriel’s, Quinn Ewers, Max Johnson etc. departures tell you? Probably not much other than they had coaching changes, or were given opportunities to play for title contenders, or in Ewers case just finessed the NIL system.
The motivations for NIL and transfers are developing right before our eyes. Maintaining agility and composure during these monumental developments is key and those who can will prosper and those who try to hold onto dogma of the past will struggle… it’s the wild west in college football right now…Caleb Williams is most interesting as he is an assured starter who is doing what coaches are doing…looking for his best option….

JacketFan137

Banned
So the guy who led us to a 14-0 deficit with a 4-9 performance for 23 yards a lost fumble and some of the ugliest passes ever seen was certainly going to do better than the guy who replaced him and led us on three scoring drives to take the lead before the defense squandered it? Sims getting injured was the only reason we had a chance in that game. He certainly had much better days this year. He was awful that day and assuming he was going to drink a red bull and turn into Aaron Rodgers at halftime seems like a fools hope.
cannot believe we still have users arguing yates over sims. embarrassing stuff.

sims was better literally the whole season except when yates got to stat pad against an fcs program. i think the team came out flat but sims would have probably kept the ball moving once he settled in

yeti92

Helluva Engineer

sims was better literally the whole season except when yates got to stat pad against an fcs program. i think the team came out flat but sims would have probably kept the ball moving once he settled in
Sims didn't play against our 3 hardest opponents, these comparisons are so laughably bad. Neither player was head and shoulders better than the other.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer

Im arguing Yates over Sims for that one particular game. A game in which we saw with our own eyes Sims play terrible and Yates play pretty well. Your theory that we lost that game because of Yates and we would have won if Sims had played the whole game is ludicrous to anyone who actually watched the game.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
Yes. There are secretly only 8 real members of this forum other than the mods—the rest are sock puppet accounts we use to keep pushing this thread to the top. We know that TStan reads this forum every day and is about to change his mind on Collins based on this thread.
The many times we’ve warned the 8 real users about name calling of the coaches are a transparent attempt to cover up our secret plan by pretending to push for good decorum.
Ted Danson Lol GIF by The Good Place
Is any sock puppet here really Lambchop?

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
Now there's some fresh material, and quite apropos.

The best thing I can think of to grow some wins this year would be a new DC. I honestly think that would do wonders for the mindset around here.
Does anyone have comparison data on fig trees and football teams?

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Well consistently winning 7-9 wasn't a Johnson trait. Many more ups and downs.

I'll take 9,11,6,8,7,7,11,3,9,5,8 with only one year below .500 in the ACC to 3,3,3 or 7,7,7,7,9,7 gailey didn't really win 7-9 he won 9 once and the rest seven. johnson had 3 total years he won less than 7 but you cannot pick a consistent period within his tenure at give it as many years as gailey he didn't have more better seasons than gailey did.
take the first 6?
9 11 6 8 7 7
the last?
7 11 3 9 5 8
or the middle front?
6, 8, 7, 7, 11, 3
or the back middle?
7,7,11,3,9, 5

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
Yes. There are secretly only 8 real members of this forum other than the mods—the rest are sock puppet accounts we use to keep pushing this thread to the top. We know that TStan reads this forum every day and is about to change his mind on Collins based on this thread.
The many times we’ve warned the 8 real users about name calling of the coaches are a transparent attempt to cover up our secret plan by pretending to push for good decorum.
Ted Danson Lol GIF by The Good Place
I just want to know...which one of you mods came up with the idea for that crazy "@kg01" persona? For me, that was the dead giveaway that y'all were making sh*t up—I mean, no way that could be a real person posting.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I just want to know...which one of you mods came up with the idea for that crazy "@kg01" persona? For me, that was the dead giveaway that y'all were making sh*t up—I mean, no way that could be a real person posting.
It was me who invented the persona known as @kg01. I had to divert attention when ice cream started disappearing from the Swarm break room.