Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

slugboy

Staff member
Maybe. I was just offering up another reason why Collins may not have taken over the defense. We definitely stunk in the Pitt game but I think there was some rationalization because it was Kenny Picket and he will be the first QB picked in the draft. We followed the Pitt game with a win at Duke and the defense had decent games (relatively speaking) against VT and maybe Miami. Listen, we were a bad team last year (for the last three years). I don’t think the total train wreck happened until the last two to three games. It’s not like our offense was playing great either. We’re a bad team.
Totally understand.

In hindsight, the revelation that hurts is that we had a fairly reasonable rationalization after most of our losses. We just kept getting them. The old coaching saw "good coaches don't lose two games in a row" may not be absolutely accurate, but it's a good reminder that if you don't bounce back quickly then something's wrong, explanation or not.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
I have watched a ton of CFB , from all over the country, and I know when I see a prepared team and when I don't. EVERY team has a game where they are " flat",
but that is usually corrected- by good coaching- the next week. Being prepared certainly DOES NOT guarantee a win. But all other factors being relatively equal, it almost assuredly guarantees a loss. But the "icing" on the whole cake was our HC having the ability to describe the games in such a way that seemed he was operating in an alternate universe. I sincerely hope he has "figured it out " and this year will be substantially different. But nothing in his past three years encourages me to think that HE feels HE needs to change for the better. I really don't think he believes he is any part of the problem.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
Matt Entz, HC NDSU. National FCS Champions. $396,619/year currently.

But more intriguingly, Matt Larsen, AD. Five National Championships.

Just throwing out ideas for discussion...all facts are friendly.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
Matt Entz, HC NDSU. National FCS Champions. $396,619/year currently.

But more intriguingly, Matt Larsen, AD. Five National Championships.

Just throwing out ideas for discussion...all facts are friendly.
If they want to jump, they could certainly be in line for a lot of other jobs. But right now they are the destination for any HS athlete who doesn't get a Power 5 offer. Their pedigree of always being in the FCS playoffs certainly helps as well. And they are kings of their state and have all of the attention in North Dakota. To get either, you would have to give them a substantial raise and also a view that they would have the resources to be successful in the most competitive part of the country.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
I have watched a ton of CFB , from all over the country, and I know when I see a prepared team and when I don't. EVERY team has a game where they are " flat",
but that is usually corrected- by good coaching- the next week. Being prepared certainly DOES NOT guarantee a win. But all other factors being relatively equal, it almost assuredly guarantees a loss. But the "icing" on the whole cake was our HC having the ability to describe the games in such a way that seemed he was operating in an alternate universe. I sincerely hope he has "figured it out " and this year will be substantially different. But nothing in his past three years encourages me to think that HE feels HE needs to change for the better. I really don't think he believes he is any part of the problem.
The saying, “There are none so blind as those who will not see,” comes to mind.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
If they want to jump, they could certainly be in line for a lot of other jobs. But right now they are the destination for any HS athlete who doesn't get a Power 5 offer. Their pedigree of always being in the FCS playoffs certainly helps as well. And they are kings of their state and have all of the attention in North Dakota. To get either, you would have to give them a substantial raise and also a view that they would have the resources to be successful in the most competitive part of the country.
Fair enough. I suspect that "process" that can be repeated year after year plays a huge role, too. KPI's, measurable stuff. Do we have a "system" that is generating incremental improvement?

NDSU has won six straight games against FBS teams since 2010. The streak started with a 6-3 win at Kansas in 2010. They then beat Minnesota (37-24 in 2011), Colorado State (22-7 in 2012), Kansas State (24-21 in 2013), Iowa State (34-14 in 2014) and No. 13 Iowa (23-21 in 2016), all on the road. Source