Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
What credentials are you looking for? Collins wasn't exactly what we asked Santa for .... it's who we could afford. This is right out of the Homer Rice model ... surround a struggling coach with his replacement so you aren't caught flat-footed.
I wondered about Long's thoughts when he accepted the GT job. He had to know it was possible Collins could be fired after the 2022 season, so it occurred to me that he thinks he could be the next HC. That was also my thought when we were considering Godsey for the OC job. But, that would have to be a very uncomfortable situation. Does the OC try to make the HC look bad enough to get fired? There's a huge $$ difference between the OC and HC jobs.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
What credentials are you looking for? Collins wasn't exactly what we asked Santa for .... it's who we could afford. This is right out of the Homer Rice model ... surround a struggling coach with his replacement so you aren't caught flat-footed.
A history of success at multiple stops. I didn't think Collins was qualified to be a head coach either, and there were other, better qualified coaches we could afford.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I wondered about Long's thoughts when he accepted the GT job. He had to know it was possible Collins could be fired after the 2022 season, so it occurred to me that he thinks he could be the next HC. That was also my thought when we were considering Godsey for the OC job. But, that would have to be a very uncomfortable situation. Does the OC try to make the HC look bad enough to get fired? There's a huge $$ difference between the OC and HC jobs.
Geoff, in his words, has spent too much time on culture and not enough time on football. I think if Long demonstrates that he has the chops (through his performance), that is all he has to do. Geoff will determine his own fate.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
My concern about the number of wins this year, and I may be alone, is that we don’t get definitive evidence one way or the other on where the program is headed. 7-8 wins or more would be great. 4-5 wins or less would be a disaster. So what happens if we are in the 5-6 wins range? That’s middle territory and both the Collins detractors and the Collins boosters would see it differently and say, “See, I told you.”

And our fan division and controversy would continue and even accelerate.

That’s my biggest concern to be honest.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
My concern about the number of wins this year, and I may be alone, is that we don’t get definitive evidence one way or the other on where the program is headed. 7-8 wins or more would be great. 4-5 wins or less would be a disaster. So what happens if we are in the 5-6 wins range? That’s middle territory and both the Collins detractors and the Collins boosters would see it differently and say, “See, I told you.”

Yep - that's actually worst case scenario....

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Who would actually be in charge of removing the AD? The President? An athletic board of directors?
Officially the Board of Trustees would do so, but that power is concentrated in the President of the Board who is also the President of Georgia Tech (Cabrera). Unofficially, as soon as the money dries up, Cabrera would be forced to take action ...

JacketFan137

Banned

idk if it’s so much as the number of wins as much as how we actually play

if we go another year without scoring a touchdown vs uga, clemson and our next toughest game which is likely ole miss, and couple it with a g5 loss and some bad acc losses then people will be pissed rightfully so

if we win 6 games but are competitive in them all, then maybe get an upset of one of the tough teams then i think 6-6 may be enough to win some hearts and minds

we also have to not be the worst defense in the country and we have to show improvement on offense. wins will come if we do that anyway

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Officially the Board of Trustees would do so, but that power is concentrated in the President of the Board who is also the President of Georgia Tech (Cabrera). Unofficially, as soon as the money dries up, Cabrera would be forced to take action ...
If I remember correctly this is how TStan was hired.

But, I think the recent hires have changed the dynamic for Collins future. We brought in a new OC and several position coaches who, I am almost certain, asked what happens if we don;t show marked improvement in 2022? What is the measurement? If wins, how many? And, so on...

If we have another 3 win season the Board or Trustees and Pres. Cabrera have some tough decisions to make. That said, I think the higher ups are going to give Collins some room to succeed. These new hires make it look like there is optimism in the corner office.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
If I remember correctly this is how TStan was hired.

But, I think the recent hires have changed the dynamic for Collins future. We brought in a new OC and several position coaches who, I am almost certain, asked what happens if we don;t show marked improvement in 2022? What is the measurement? If wins, how many? And, so on...

If we have another 3 win season the Board or Trustees and Pres. Cabrera have some tough decisions to make. That said, I think the higher ups are going to give Collins some room to succeed. These new hires make it look like there is optimism in the corner office.
He also could get another year by FINALLY removing Thacker if the offense shows signs of improving.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
If we have another 3 win season the Board or Trustees and Pres. Cabrera have some tough decisions to make. That said, I think the higher ups are going to give Collins some room to succeed.
I think the decision has already been made. My understanding from inside the GTAA is that Collins need to win 6 respectively and/or make a bowl to keep his job. Any 50 point blowouts are a definite no.

The problem for Collins (and Cabrera) is that the money has spoken. No more bucks if Collins remains an embarrassment. They will pretty much tell Cabrera to fund athletics himself if he disagrees. He won't.

slugboy

Staff member
He also could get another year by FINALLY removing Thacker if the offense shows signs of improving.
How many second chances do you think he has?
If he'd gone 3-9, then 4-6, then 5-7, and only lost to one of the Citadel/Syracuse/NIU, and no consecutive shutout blowout losses, then maybe he has some goodwill in reserve. If he'd pulled a top 15 class this year with a 5* or two and just needed a new DC then maybe you overlook something.

It's win or get fired for CGC. Our offense could average 50+ points a game, but if we don't go bowling, CGC is done at GT.
Pretty much this. Also, if we average 50+ a game and the defense doesn't turn around, why not keep Long and turn Collins loose for defense guru?

slugboy

Staff member
If he'd gone 3-9, then 4-6, then 5-7, and only lost to one of the Citadel/Syracuse/NIU, and no consecutive shutout blowout losses, then maybe he has some goodwill in reserve. If he'd pulled a top 15 class this year with a 5* or two and just needed a new DC then maybe you overlook something.

It's win or get fired for CGC. Our offense could average 50+ points a game, but if we don't go bowling, CGC is done at GT.
Pretty much this. Also, if we average 50+ a game and the defense doesn't turn around, why not keep Long and turn Collins loose for defense guru?

Jmonty71

Banned

I think there are other variables in play. One being how we play and how bad we lose. I think asking next year's team to win 6-7 games is a tough ask. I do, however; believe that if we cannot win more than 4, Geoff has no excuses and should be fired, soon after. Me, personally, I am expecting to see a 5 win season. While it will not be ideal with most people. I think it will be a sign of improvement. Keep in mind, next year is a pretty tough schedule. Clemson, Ole Miss and UGA are all guaranteed losses, may add Pitt in that mix... That gives us 9 games to win more than half of. We have plenty of winnable games. If we lose to Western Carolina... Geoff should be fired after the game.. That's my opinion.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I think there are other variables in play. One being how we play and how bad we lose. I think asking next year's team to win 6-7 games is a tough ask. I do, however; believe that if we cannot win more than 4, Geoff has no excuses and should be fired, soon after. Me, personally, I am expecting to see a 5 win season. While it will not be ideal with most people. I think it will be a sign of improvement. Keep in mind, next year is a pretty tough schedule. Clemson, Ole Miss and UGA are all guaranteed losses, may add Pitt in that mix... That gives us 9 games to win more than half of. We have plenty of winnable games. If we lose to Western Carolina... Geoff should be fired after the game.. That's my opinion.
Six, bare minimum, or there will be pitchforks and torches at the Edge Center.

albanyjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Can we at least change the name of this thread to just "Coach Collins" Most comments are about things other than fire the coach.

JacketFan137

Banned

in this hypothetical scenario i highly doubt long would be ok getting replaced like that. he’d be first in line for the HC vacancy