Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

JacketFan137

Banned
I think there are other variables in play. One being how we play and how bad we lose. I think asking next year's team to win 6-7 games is a tough ask. I do, however; believe that if we cannot win more than 4, Geoff has no excuses and should be fired, soon after. Me, personally, I am expecting to see a 5 win season. While it will not be ideal with most people. I think it will be a sign of improvement. Keep in mind, next year is a pretty tough schedule. Clemson, Ole Miss and UGA are all guaranteed losses, may add Pitt in that mix... That gives us 9 games to win more than half of. We have plenty of winnable games. If we lose to Western Carolina... Geoff should be fired after the game.. That's my opinion.
pitt is losing their QB who’s a projected first round pick and possible first QB off the board. they’re not going to be as tough

JacketFan137

Banned
I know you’re being condescending and ultimately wins matter, but to those who say we need less marketing are fooling themselves.

Unless you’re Saban, you need to be just as great at marketing as you need to be at coaching
i think people are very jaded from the paul johnson era about what it takes to be good in today’s day and age

paul basically wanted to coach his offense and do nothing else and i understand since it was successful. he didn’t recruit as hard or as well as a lot of other coaches and he didn’t wanna market and schmooze the boosters at all. collins came in and was the polar opposite always trying to sell, market and recruit and because he didn’t see success it really rubbed our fanbase the wrong way into thinking that social media and recruiting aren’t important in today’s game.

JacketFan137

Banned
I just don't buy this at all. I think it's far more likely we did a half-*** job of researching and reaching out to potential candidates.
realistically you’re not getting a proven guy anyway at tech. we don’t have the money to entice some big name, we’re not in the sec, and it’s not like you’re inheriting a team that’s playing great.

we would be hiring some guy who’s “just an OC/DC” or “a guy that has never won at the p5 level”. i don’t think it would get fans too excited lol

we allegedly had the money to fire collins but people also need to understand to fire someone you gotta hire someone on the other end and the GTAA is not exactly swimming like scrooge mcduck

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
pitt is losing their QB who’s a projected first round pick and possible first QB off the board. they’re not going to be as tough
They have already replaced him with Kedon Slovis, another QB likely to be drafted in the higher rounds. He will still have Addison and they are adding Konata Mumpfield. They are going to have a really good offense.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I just don't buy this at all. I think it's far more likely we did a half-*** job of researching and reaching out to potential candidates.
Why do you find this so hard to believe? When Tennessee sought to replace Lane Kiffin, the Vols were 10 years removed from a national championship, had Top 5 facilities, a rabid fanbase who bought swag in truckload quantities and no serious in state rival. And yet, Butch Jones was their 7th pick ... the first 6 having turned it down.

Tech is not an attractive job for a proven coach. It doesn't pay that well (by comparison), has limited resources, a limited and demanding curriculum and aged facilities. There are better options for a good coach than a stop at Tech in their career ... as it stands today.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

This. The search for a HC was not extensive at all. We pretty much had the few guys we wanted lined up, and didn't put much effort (probably almost none) into looking at any other candidates. It's not being truthful when someone says our HC opening wasn't attracting good candidates. If you go back to the coaching search thread, GT opening at the time was actually considered one of the better job openings given potential of GT.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Why do you find this so hard to believe? When Tennessee sought to replace Lane Kiffin, the Vols were 10 years removed from a national championship, had Top 5 facilities, a rabid fanbase who bought swag in truckload quantities and no serious in state rival. And yet, Butch Jones was their 7th pick ... the first 6 having turned it down.

Tech is not an attractive job for a proven coach. It doesn't pay that well (by comparison), has limited resources, a limited and demanding curriculum and aged facilities. There are better options for a good coach than a stop at Tech in their career ... as it stands today.

I wouldn't use UT as an example. There was a LOT of drama happening there that's well documented that turned off a lot of coaches. Remember, they had Mike Leach and Greg Schiano all but signed until big donors and people in the administration made a big stink because it wasn't "their guy". UT HC search for Kiffen's replacement was a fiasco.

Wasn't it also that search that CPJ's agent reached out to see if there was mutual interest?

EDIT: Sorry...it was in 2018. Kiffin is 2009.

Last edited:

slugboy

Staff member
The job was public knowledge and was well known thanks to the press about Johnson’s retirement. Even if it wasn’t, P5 HC openings are far from secret.
If Mike Leach or Scott Satterfield or Jamey Chadwell or another name coach or up-and-comer wanted the position, their agents would have made it known to Stansbury. Otherwise, you’re looking for long shots or undiscovered geniuses who wouldn’t self-nominate or don’t have an agent.
It’s far more likely that fellow coaches and friends were saying “you don’t want that job” than TStan was overlooking candidates.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I wouldn't use UT as an example. There was a LOT of drama happening there that's well documented that turned off a lot of coaches. Remember, they had Mike Leach and Greg Schiano all but signed until big donors and people in the administration made a big stink because it wasn't "their guy". UT HC search for Kiffen's replacement was a fiasco.

Wasn't it also that search that CPJ's agent reached out to see if there was mutual interest?

EDIT: It was

You're confusing eras. Mike Leach and Greg Schiano were both in the "replace Butch era". I'm referring to hiring of Butch Jones, not his replacement.

As to CPJ, yes ... his agent did connect with UT. And Auburn as well.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
You're confusing eras. Mike Leach and Greg Schiano were both in the "replace Butch era". I'm referring to hiring of Butch Jones, not his replacement.

As to CPJ, yes ... his agent did connect with UT. And Auburn as well.

Yeah...I caught it afterwards. My mistake.

All also add, my point still stands a decade later for UT. All big time coaches know that athletic department is a sh!tshow with all the big donors throwing their weight around. That's why UT has never hit on their first 3 candidates. The same thing is going on at UTexas...given their vast resources and immense recruiting reach, they still have a hard time getting their top 3 candidates because of the dysfunction happening behind the scenes. That's a top 3 job, and no established coach like Lincoln Riley (their first choice) or a Chip Kelly would even touch that job. That's why they've gone for Tier 2 rising coaches or "hot" coordinators.

Last edited:

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I know you’re being condescending and ultimately wins matter, but to those who say we need less marketing are fooling themselves.

Unless you’re Saban, you need to be just as great at marketing as you need to be at coaching
Well, that ain't gonna happen
I think the AD committed to the swing before the pitcher chunked the ball. He had his man, maybe because his man foolishly considered Tech "my dream job, and there was no point in messing around. Just get straight to losing.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
The job was public knowledge and was well known thanks to the press about Johnson’s retirement. Even if it wasn’t, P5 HC openings are far from secret.
If Mike Leach or Scott Satterfield or Jamey Chadwell or another name coach or up-and-comer wanted the position, their agents would have made it known to Stansbury. Otherwise, you’re looking for long shots or undiscovered geniuses who wouldn’t self-nominate or don’t have an agent.
It’s far more likely that fellow coaches and friends were saying “you don’t want that job” than TStan was overlooking candidates.
Jimmy Sexton represents 11 of the SEC head coaches, 7 NFL coaches and has a Rolodex of up and comers as long as your arm. I agree ... CPJ was no secret and even if TStan did not have a slate, I'm sure Sexton did. And agents do the same type of "fit analysis" that executive recruiters do. We're attractive for a coordinator making the jump to HC, head coaches at the tail end of their career (Is **** Vermeil still able to stand?), or a MAC type coach trying to get to P5. For proven Top 30-ish coaches, Tech is not an attractive stop. There's no upside.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
We didn’t change our field goal blocking or defense significantly in the transition.
You’d expect our passing game to take time, but the rest is a different category.
Well, once again, the only people that didn’t think this job would be a massive undertaking after the option are Tech fans. The rest of the nation thought it was going to be amazingly difficult.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer

Tennessee has been a toxic mess for over a decade thanks to the Haslams and Fulmer. Tennessee was also trying to hire big name coaches, which is what some of you think I am advocating for but am not. I want a coach who has shown success at lower levels.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
But he wasn't consitently between 7 and 9s he was consistent winning 7 with one spike to 9. Are you being dense on purpose?
Lol. Actually being factual.

The only distortion of the truth here is saying Johnson was consistently winning 7-9 games.

This board is passionate in its defense of Johnson I’ll tell you that.