Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
The amount of chatter on this board about the future of the FB program tells me that TStan has to force changes made by Collins. He would probably have to make the biggest change if he had the money but that is not likely. He can force other changes. The numbers over the last 3 years will make it happen. He would probably like to keep our HC if at all possible to save face for such a bad hire in the first place. He can get a $1M for staff upgrades easier than a total buyout this year.
I think a lot depends on how the Ugag game turns out. If we get the doors blown off again, that may force Stansbury's hand. You could bring in some new assistants, but in the backs of their minds will be the prospect of being gone after just one year if Geoff doesn't survive. It's going to limit our choices.

techman

Georgia Tech Fan
I think a lot depends on how the Ugag game turns out. If we get the doors blown off again, that may force Stansbury's hand. You could bring in some new assistants, but in the backs of their minds will be the prospect of being gone after just one year if Geoff doesn't survive. It's going to limit our choices.
does anyone think UGAG will NOT blow our doors off ? How can anyone conclude that? theyll likely beat us worse than ND, correct???? Of course they will.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
My honest opinion.

If you are TStan you have to express confidence at this point in Collins and then carefully monitor next season. Five games into next season he will know if it is the last season for Collins or not. More meltdowns like this and he will not even finish the season.
This would be crazy. His salary next year is guaranteed anyway. If you fire him midsession you’d owe $10.5M for the buyout. If you wait until end of the season it’d go down to $7.2M

So really you either bite the bullet now and fire him or let him coach all of next season.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
I think you have to do that as an AD- he hired the guy now he has to support him with what he needs to succeed. To spend 14 million on a buyout would be a bad way to spend 14 million.
Spitballing here but lets say we spent 14 mil to can his *** and then we hit a relative home run with the next hire to where attendance gets to an 80 % full stadium as opposed to a now less than 50% and other revenues rise as a result, how many years to pay that 14 mil back?

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
Just tell them that support that is given can be taken away. That's the general comment I made to Homer Rice in a letter when I scarcely had a farthing to my name protesting the intended dumping of the greatest play-by-play man the Jackets ever had, Al Ciraldo, and he actually sent me a personal letter back (informing me it was not his decision). But that was a long time ago. Much has changed since then, and not all of it for the better.
But does TStan REALLY read them? Or does he just move them to the trash bin lol

Squints

Helluva Engineer
Well, most of them are still there running things. Paul Johnson is gone.

Somewhere in there is a lesson to be learned.

Paul Johnson is more than likely going into the College Football HoF and the 'things' those people are still running appear to be a dumpster fire at this point.

I'm not sure the 'lesson to be learned' is the one you think it is.

GTcanWINagain

Banned
Why are you arguing with me? Let's review:

Go pick a fight someplace else.
Our fan base is pissed off as we are in limbo on this program and all we have is last statement of the AD who has seen “progress” in 2021 under Collins. Many of us are going to be testy until the leader
This would be crazy. His salary next year is guaranteed anyway. If you fire him midsession you’d owe $10.5M for the buyout. If you wait until end of the season it’d go down to $7.2M

So really you either bite the bullet now and fire him or let him coach all of next season.
The “Let It Ride” Strategy (aka Do Nothing) will also pull another $3-$4 million out of gameday revenues from the smaller attendance…

techman

Georgia Tech Fan
we will not be surprised. I fully expect an embarassing blowout, worse than the ND defeat in that our offense will get half the 1st downs and half the total yards against UGA. Will CGC's situation really be worse? I'm just wonderin' if this UGA blowout happens (which we have to expect), will CGC's hot seat get hotter? If we are unemotional about this we have to expect an embarassing blowout so how can his hotseat get hotter? That is, nothing is really gonna change or is it? Will another embarassing blowout be the final straw? I don't see how if we know it is coming.....

Jetdrive3

Jolly Good Fellow
No. He seemed to be a guy with limited experience and results who had some recruiting success in a previous life here. He is/was an effort to go a different direction - energy, recruiting, love of Tech, that kind of thing. Oh, and hopefully he could coach or bring a staff that could coach.

No doubt he has energy. No doubt he has raised our recruiting if you go by stars.

The jury is no longer out on his coaching ability or that of the staff. Overall, they get very poor grades. Too many mental mistakes on the field and a lack of discipline. The sideline decisions have been mind numbingly bad. Edit to add: There's nothing revolutionary or even evolutionary about the schemes we run either. I swear we are running schemes from a generic playbook someone found on the sidelines in 2014.
But who is the replacement with limited funds? Florida gets first choice!