Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
Forget the money, everyone is looking for a new HC. No way

GT gets anyone better. Get new coordinators and let’s go to work
This is a good point. We would be competing against some big time programs and are cheap anyways.

The only good thing we have going for us is that we have a good you g QB and one of the best RBs in the country.

Still money is what matters most and we don’t have it. Which will also make it hard to hire good OC and DC.

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
Hope I’m wrong but Gibbs could easily go be the focal point of a few top ten teams next year. I know what I would do if I was advising him.

Gibbs is getting lots of attention at GT though. He is the central point of our offense (ok limited offense). Before yesterday, he was number 2 in all purpose yards. Going to a top program will likely cut his production because it will be shared among other high level talent. I am not saying he won't move but if the goal it to get to the next level, I think he already has attention.
it could be more than just getting to the league. Make money now with NIL at a bigger school and improve your draft position which will mean more money

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
it could be more than just getting to the league. Make money now with NIL at a bigger school and improve your draft position which will mean more money

I agree that the NIL issue may be true. However, Gibbs would not be drafted any higher if he were a Buckeye, a Crimson Tide (whatever that is), or a Woverine. He is what he is and there is no amount of coaching that is going to move him up. Remember Chris Johnson of the Titans. he was a first round pick from ECU because he ran a 4.2 something at the combine. That ain't coaching.

Billygoat91

Jolly Good Fellow
Spitballing here but lets say we spent 14 mil to can his *** and then we hit a relative home run with the next hire to where attendance gets to an 80 % full stadium as opposed to a now less than 50% and other revenues rise as a result, how many years to pay that 14 mil back?
Assuming 50k capacity,10k average rise in attendance per home game, and $25 a ticket
6 home games x $25/ticket x 10,000 tickets = $1,500,000/year
As someone mentioned, the difference between the fire him now and the fire him later option is only 4 mill.
Fire now: 14 mill / 1.5 = 9 years, 4 months (10 seasons approx to pay off in net attendance alone)

Fire after next year: 10 mill / 1.5 = 6 years, 8 months
If we add in the net loss of attendance for the additional year, the 10 million goes to 11.5 million
11.5 mill/ 1.5 = 7 years, 8 months (8 seasons to pay it off)

Adjusting for inflation only helps the fire him now scenario. Since we are at record levels of inflation in 40+ years, just fire him now and it won't hurt as much when we all need a wheelbarrow of money to buy a loaf of bread in a couple of years

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
would that work out in your business? Not mine

That may be true but (and I'm guessing here) there are exactly 0 of us who hired and fired guys with 7 figure guaranteed contracts. It frees you up a bit when all you have to worry about is replacing the guy (or gal) you fired and a severance package of 12 months or less of salary and benefits.

DavidStandingBear

Jolly Good Fellow
it was all sunshine and roses wasn't it? folks' memories of the last regime are like childbirth - the second it's over, it was a wonderful experience. they forget all the pain and screaming that happened just hours before.

collins' only chance to save himself is to make wholesale staff changes. keep the performers, ditch the rest. if he does that, he probably buys a little more time to see how it works out, mostly due to his buyout. if he doesn't do that, then he should walk with the rest of them. I think his only chance is go dabo with strong assistants.

maybe tstan pulls an o'leary hire, with a guy that could take over as the head man, but I sort of doubt that happens.

if collins sticks around, he should work with a pr person over the off season to realize how off-putting he can be, and get that fixed.

I really don't know, and am too lazy to look it up, but how did the Beavers do when tstan was out there?

I am sure tstan understands the fanbase meltdown. if he knows how to fix it remains to be seen. i don't think anything happens until after next saturday.
yes! I expect GT to be challenged as a P5 team, but a coach who's personality is an embarrassment to the alumni and fans is a problem. As was Pelini's here at Nebraska. gotta win some before you use the superlatives that GC does. (Im a GT alum, if I acted like that in any position that I've had would be a problem for me!)

DavidStandingBear

Jolly Good Fellow
This is a good point. With both Gailey and Johnson the narrative was that we were not winning enough games. For whatever reason. But, we were winning more than we lost most seasons. I do not think it matters which offense we run, the defense has to occasionally force a change of possession. It has been a long time since we had a dependable defense game after game.
Again at Nebraska (GT grad) we didn't think we were a mere 10-4 team that Solich and Pelini gave us.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Then why does everyone keep talking about him? If Monken is so great, why aren't teams lined up to hire him?
Remember there was an old hymn or song that said something about "let there be peace on earth and let it begin with me". All of us are weary of the back and forth about CPJ but no one wants to be the first to quit. I'll volunteer. I'll be the guy who says "no mas". Won't you join me? Let's be the change we wish to see in this world. We can do this!

You may say I'm a dreamer. But I'm not the only one.

Billygoat91

Jolly Good Fellow
Assuming 50k capacity,10k average rise in attendance per home game, and $25 a ticket
6 home games x $25/ticket x 10,000 tickets = $1,500,000/year
As someone mentioned, the difference between the fire him now and the fire him later option is only 4 mill.
Fire now: 14 mill / 1.5 = 9 years, 4 months (10 seasons approx to pay off in net attendance alone)

Fire after next year: 10 mill / 1.5 = 6 years, 8 months
If we add in the net loss of attendance for the additional year, the 10 million goes to 11.5 million
11.5 mill/ 1.5 = 7 years, 8 months (8 seasons to pay it off)

Adjusting for inflation only helps the fire him now scenario. Since we are at record levels of inflation in 40+ years, just fire him now and it won't hurt as much when we all need a wheelbarrow of money to buy a loaf of bread in a couple of years
I didn't account for the fact that our home tickets that are sold are going to go for less if we have hime coaching.... Lets say that the average ticket sold depreciates $5.00/home game next year

Less revenue for tickets sold: 30,000 tickets/game x $5 x 6 games = $900,000 next season + 11.5 mill = 12.4 mill after next year

12.4 mill after next year vs 14 mill this year...... Opportunity cost is already swinging against CGC with very crude numbers...

DavidStandingBear

Jolly Good Fellow
Nah, shep. Your logic is twisted. Doesn’t matter who the AD is or isn’t. The program needs money to improve and this is how we give…not just to football, but to all sports as well as the athletic scholarships which directly benefit for the athletes.

And let’s get something straight, chief - I shill for nobody unless I’m on their payroll and even then it’s a stretch. What I put here is being a realist.
Nope, we need an AD that spends money (invests) wisely. How about in your profession?

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I didn't account for the fact that our home tickets that are sold are going to go for less if we have hime coaching.... Lets say that the average ticket sold depreciates $5.00/home game next year

Less revenue for tickets sold: 30,000 tickets/game x $5 x 6 games = $900,000 next season + 11.5 mill = 12.4 mill after next year

12.4 mill after next year vs 14 mill this year...... Opportunity cost is already swinging against CGC with very crude numbers...
On top of that, I'd say you $25 a ticket quote is about 25 years behind. The average is about double that, which only augments your argument.

GTBlaze

Banned
Who outside of gibs has been a game changer as far as recruits go?

It's either recruiting isn't as great as some think, or coaching is severely holding people back. Probably both.

Point is, recruiting has not been where it needs to be. Certainly not factory level like these coaches claimed they would.
I just read something that take has the 22nd best recruiting class in the country