Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
How has this gone back to a CPJ postmortem? He has retired and isn’t coming back.
I think the results speak for themselves, GC is half the coach PJ is. But just because GC sucks doesn’t mean we can’t find a good coach that doesn’t run the option.

I’ve said it before, the magic was in PJ, not in the option. He was a coach that maximized his talent and found weaknesses in defenses and attacked. He took a RB and made him a starting ACC QB and went to a bowl game with him. He took a QB that nobody else wanted and drilled VT at home running QB power.

I will agree that whomever we go with next, we need to run a David strategy vs a Goliath strategy on offense. I don’t care if it’s the triple, the hurry-up, the air raid, or a I form power running offense, we need to differentiate and do it WELL. As I’ve also said before, Monken is the only option coach I would consider, because he’s a damn good coach who happens to run the option vs. an option coach.
Exactly PJ was good at coaching up. Taking low star recruits and getting us to the Orange bowl. Collins so far has one of the best recruiting classes we've seen in well over a decade. Yet he can't manage more than 3-9 so far. So what does that tell you.

That's a coaching issue not a triple option vs pro style offense thing .

If Collins is here next year he must change his process, focus on fixing coaching issues get a mentor if needed . And stop with the salesman crap, I will be sold when the product on the field actually shows elite.

gtphd

Jolly Good Fellow
A one off fluke. Fact is, he started out 9-4, then 11-3, then it was mediocrity or losing every year after that with the exception of 2014. Let's review:

2010: 6-7
2012: 7-7
2013: 7-6
2015: 3-9
2017: 5-6
2018: 7-6

You can't maintain any sort of winning success with an offense most high schools don't even run anymore.
I would gladly take a 5 win season at this point.

GTcanWINagain

Banned
Bottom line is that he’s the coach for another 2 seasons. Get behind him and help him out. He needs upgrades at both coordinators spots. That’s the mindset that’s needed forward. It would be a fiscal disaster other wise.
Key Takeaways from your concise:
1. Collins is GT FB HC through 2023
2. Stop criticizing his coaching
3. Help him be successful so offer him more $
4. OC / DC need upgrades, not the HC
5. Commit 1-4 to memory
6. GTAA is too broke to replace Collins

SWATlien - Anything else Collins needs from us fans? Is a 50% increase in Tech Fund levels for 2022 going to be enough for next season’s marketing campaign?

Please let us all know! Give my regards to Geoff for guiding us through the “mother of all coaching transitions”!

:)

T-Bone Burdell

Georgia Tech Fan
A one off fluke. Fact is, he started out 9-4, then 11-3, then it was mediocrity or losing every year after that with the exception of 2014. Let's review:

You can't maintain any sort of winning success with an offense most high schools don't even run anymore.

Holy ****. We forfeited 2016?

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
Key Takeaways from your concise:
1. Collins is GT FB HC through 2023
2. Stop criticizing his coaching
3. Help him be successful so offer him more $
4. OC / DC need upgrades, not the HC
5. Commit 1-4 to memory
6. GTAA is too broke to replace Collins

SWATlien - Anything else Collins needs from us fans? Is a 50% increase in Tech Fund levels for 2022 going to be enough for next season’s marketing campaign?

Please let us all know! Give my regards to Geoff for guiding us through the “mother of all coaching transitions”!

:)
Sorry, but this coaching staff is so bad that Tech football may never get back to excitement that is except for T. Choice. I am sorry to say this, but I have seen enough to realize a downward future!

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
No, we were not.

Johnson had an overall win rate of .590%. That's it. Tech wanted to do better and believed they could. So do I, but I don't think Collins was the guy to do it.

By comparison, Richt had a .728% win rate at UGA and he got canned. Why? He just couldn't win the big game. UGA wanted better, so they made a change.

You make all of this personal. It isn't. If you're content with mediocrity and being an also ran, that's your decision. But don't hate on everybody around you that wants to try to do better. To improve. To move up in the world rather than sit there doing nothing.
The idea was to change for the better wasn’t it? What happened to that plan?

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
What kind of twisted reality do you live in? ACC championships and multiple trips to the Orange bowl and beating the Mutts at least 30% of time is mediocre? Its people who wanted more without realizing what we had and not supporting a future hall of fame coach that got us into this mess
PJ could have had more with a little more people skills. Truth.

slugboy

Staff member
This statement intrigues me since it's been years since we have played defense on the Flats. What exactly does a HC do to set his coordinators up for success? Can you elaborate @slugboy?
I don’t KNOW. It’s possible that Monken has just been lucky.

I’m not saying that Monken has a top 10 defense—I’m just saying I’d expect it to be a lot worse than it is, and he punches a good bit above his weight.

I only have a few tea leaves, and I’m probably reading too much into them

1. Johnson said Monken would probably be a successful head coach because he’s ORGANIZED
  2. Monken may not have world-beater defenses, but they’re performing above expectations, and significantly
  3. Woody’s defense at Army is much better than it was here.
  4. Bateman’s defense at UNC (and he’s just “co-DC” there) isn’t performing as far above expectations at UNC as it did at Army.
  5. The DCs we’ve seen over the past 12 years have all done better at other stops—pre-GT and post-GT.
  6. Groh, after leaving, described GT practices as being a mess. (I don’t have the full details. Some interpreted that as being bitter, but I think that there was an element of truth in it)
  7. Our current practices have a reputation of being “fun” but having distractions.
  8. Almost every coach occasionally brings out the day at the pool, ice cream cart, etc.
  9. There seems to be a theme of efficiency and attention to detail in practices and preparation that is the hallmark of good defensive teams. It’s not the only thing, and there are a lot of organized coaches, but it’s a necessary thing.
I think we ran the offense better when Monken was here, too. We came the closest to running the full playbook early in the CPJ tenure.

There’s limited time to learn football in practice. You need to make the most of it. I think his organization and efficiency are part of the reason, but there are probably other factors I’m not guessing at.

It could be luck, but maybe something else

Gomez Adams

Jolly Good Fellow

I’m not saying that Monken has a top 10 defense—I’m just saying I’d expect it to be a lot worse than it is, and he punches a good bit above his weight.

1. Johnson said Monken would probably be a successful head coach because he’s ORGANIZED
  2. Monken may not have world-beater defenses, but they’re performing above expectations, and significantly
  4. Bateman’s defense at UNC (and he’s just “co-DC” there) isn’t performing as far above expectations at UNC as it did at Army.
  5. The DCs we’ve seen over the past 12 years have all done better at other stops—pre-GT and post-GT.
  6. Groh, after leaving, described GT practices as being a mess. (I don’t have the full details. Some interpreted that as being bitter, but I think that there was an element of truth in it)
  7. Our current practices have a reputation of being “fun” but having distractions.
  8. Almost every coach occasionally brings out the day at the pool, ice cream cart, etc.
  9. There seems to be a theme of efficiency and attention to detail in practices and preparation that is the hallmark of good defensive teams. It’s not the only thing, and there are a lot of organized coaches, but it’s a necessary thing.
I think we ran the offense better when Monken was here, too. We came the closest to running the full playbook early in the CPJ tenure.

There’s limited time to learn football in practice. You need to make the most of it. I think his organization and efficiency are part of the reason, but there are probably other factors I’m not guessing at.

People put a lot more stock in the top guys than many of them deserve.

You can take somebody's playbook anywhere, but if you don't have the people on your staff to teach positional skills on how to make those plans work, it's worthless.

Most really good, really sought after Coordinators and Coaches have an entire staff that's part of the deal. It's an all or nothing thing. That's how when some coordinators and/or coaches are hired, within a year and a half you see vast improvement. (Alabama with Saban, USC with Carroll, etc.)

Then there are those guys that think it's their idea that has the value, so they take a job alone to move up in the world. Then of course they get to where they are and realize that nobody there has the first idea what they're talking about or how to make what they want done work. (Layne Kiffin is a case in point several times all by himself on this.)

That's when it all goes belly up and you see an offense, defense or entire team go straight to hell in a hatbox.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
GC seemed to be an up and coming coach and a lights out recruiter. Tech had failed to recruit the talent rich ATL metro area. GC had close personal ties to high school coaches. Tashard Choice has been a recruiting savant. The personal marketing approach of GC has created increased good will and GT has racked up in recruiting. Fire him…What next?…………Hmmmmmm…………
1. Good will and recruiting Ties take a Mike Tyson uppercut after a series of body blows.
2. A small college coach in his ascension continues to cut his baby teeth at at Tech’s expense.
3. Better players reconsider their futures.
4. Recruits reconsider their commitment.
5. Tech recruiting basis takes a couple of steps back , but not to the Johnson Abyss.
6. Bandwagon interest in the program worsens to levels that threaten record low levels.
7. Saban whose ATL recruiting has waned recently since Kirby and GC came along, gives GC an invitation to Saban’s school of sports administration, entrepreneurship and daily coaching and long range planning.
8. GC consults and GC becomes recruiting coordinator for Bama in Georgia……
9. OR Tech hires the next Bobby Dodd and instantly starts winning with the current crowd and recruiting to the toughest, most academically talented school in the south becomes easy…..
😁Too much time on my han…. wait. Gotta go, time to carry the garbage out…..
Who outside of gibs has been a game changer as far as recruits go?

It's either recruiting isn't as great as some think, or coaching is severely holding people back. Probably both.

Point is, recruiting has not been where it needs to be. Certainly not factory level like these coaches claimed they would.

jayparr

Helluva Engineer

The spring game this yr was televised, and I was so excited! then during the early part of the game Collins rushed out on the field and messed around. This was not a game, but A mess! I turned the tv off! So that told me OMG, WTF, and is this the way things are not working or falling into the worst!

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer

I want a fluke. I was OK with going a different direction, but with a real coach. Not a “warranty has expired” telemarking scam guy.