Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

Dress2Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Forget the money, everyone is looking for a new HC. No way

GT gets anyone better. Get new coordinators and let’s go to work

We may have to pull a Cremins... Take a flyer on a guy who is way down the "Next Guy Up" list for coaches. Sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn't. (See: Gregory)

sgreer

Jolly Good Fellow
Spitballing here but lets say we spent 14 mil to can his *** and then we hit a relative home run with the next hire to where attendance gets to an 80 % full stadium as opposed to a now less than 50% and other revenues rise as a result, how many years to pay that 14 mil back?
I guess that would take 4 years of 80% stadium to break even not counting the salary for the new coach. Maybe they could spend 7 million on coaches and 7 million on entertainers to perform after games- like The Rolling Stones etc 🤣

Billygoat91

Jolly Good Fellow
Mullen @ UF just let go. $12 Million buyout- $6 mill in 30 days, $1 mill/yr x 6 years.
If YOU were AD , would you hire him ?
The fact that Florida is paying less for Mullen's buyout than we are potentially for Collins is just sad. Mullen at least had Miss State ranked 1 at one point... Collins has only acheived a number one ranking in his Temple Coaches Poll Ballot that he filled out

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I do believe there is a very small fraction of fans/alums on here that would rather have 6-8 win seasons as our best years, with really very little opportuntity to have a special 10+ win year, if it means conforming to what they believe is a "normal" CF offense.

To me, that is sad. As many others, I believe we need a signfiicant niche. It does not have to be PJ's flexbone per se, but it must be different and hard to defend, extremely unpredicatable and run with great discipline, if we are to have years like 2014 ever again.

I refuse to believe a tradition as rich as ours has to settle for doing it like everyone else and hoping that a top 30 recruiting class can somehow be the difference in getting into the top 10-15 teams in the nation. GT is a very, very special place, and we deserve that opportunity, but we aren't going to get it, in my opinion, doing what everyone else is doing. It will also take a very special coach - one that other coaches know is smarter than them.

FYI - I realize recruiting is CRITICAL, but there really isn't a huge difference between 25 and 45, but let me tell you, the difference between 5 and 25 in today's CF world is GARGANTUAN. Honestly, if we can ever get some big nasties and big LB's with motors, we will be ok on D, but that is the challenge for ALL P5 coaches that aren't a few teams.

Billygoat91

Jolly Good Fellow
I do believe there is a very small fraction of fans/alums on here that would rather have 6-8 win seasons as our best years, with really very little opportuntity to have a special 10+ win year, if it means conforming to what they believe is a "normal" CF offense.

To me, that is sad. As many others, I believe we need a signfiicant niche. It does not have to be PJ's flexbone per se, but it must be different and hard to defend, extremely unpredicatable and run with great discipline, if we are to have years like 2014 ever again.

I refuse to believe a tradition as rich as ours has to settle for doing it like everyone else and hoping that a top 30 recruiting class can somehow be the difference in getting into the top 10-15 teams in the nation. GT is a very, very special place, and we deserve that opportunity, but we aren't going to get it, in my opinion, doing what everyone else is doing. It will also take a very special coach - one that other coaches know is smarter than them.

FYI - I realize recruiting is CRITICAL, but there really isn't a huge difference between 25 and 45, but let me tell you, the difference between 5 and 25 in today's CF world is GARGANTUAN. Honestly, if we can ever get some big nasties and big LB's with motors, we will be ok on D, but that is the challenge for ALL P5 coaches that aren't a few teams.
Could not agree more. As you said, it doesn't have to be the flexbone, but it needs to be different to give us an x's and o's edge. The only thing we have done "different" from other teams on our schedule this year is padding the opposing QB's stats

Billygoat91

Jolly Good Fellow
QB's vs Tech this year (including NIU and Kennsaw State Games)

Completions: 205 (rank 32)
Attempts: 315 (rank 39)
Percentage: 65% (rank 37)
Yards: 3021 (rank 15)
Yards/Att: 9.59 (rank 7)
TDs: 24 (rank14)
Ints: 3 (rank 306, with 0 int being 1)

QB's vs Tech this year (P5 + Notre Dame Only, averaged over a 12 game season)

Completions: 248
Attempts: 370
Percentage: 67%
Yards: 3698
Yards/Att: 9.98!!!
TDs: 28
Ints: 1

We are seriously making the average of our P5 competition a Heisman candidate

Dress2Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
What you guys aren't taking into account is that everyone has a great offense now. Scheme advantage isn't much of a thing anymore. CPJ quit because he saw that cfb was becoming an arms race instead of a chess match. We gotta work with the reality we are in, not the one we wish we had.

Untrue. WE don't have a great offense.

Seriously, we have a 30th percentile scheme with coaching and disipline to match. Talent ain't great either. Move the scheme, coaching, and discipline to better than average and things will get a LOT better.

Billygoat91

Jolly Good Fellow
In a New York minute. If he can build a consistent winner in Starkville, he can build a consistent winner everywhere. He was, I remind everyone, 34 - 15 at Florida.
Also, he and Kirby have beef with each other, so it will only add to COFH.... No one please take this to suggest I think this should be our plan. It is better than the status quo, though

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
In a New York minute. If he can build a consistent winner in Starkville, he can build a consistent winner everywhere. He was, I remind everyone, 34 - 15 at Florida.
Florida fans seem to think Mullen refuses to recruit, and that the trajectory of the program was nose diving with him at the helm.