Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
A lot of us are still comparing everything to the memories we have stored of the 2014 season. Those were some gaudy offensive numbers. But the numbers this year are almost identical to the 2015, 2016, and 2017 numbers during the Johnson years. We scored a lot of points in 2018 because of two games in the 60s, but the YPG in all four of those years were very similar to this year's numbers to date.

PPG/3D%/YPG

2015 28.8/34.9/378
2016 28.2/41.6/387
2017 28.1/45.6/392
2018 45.3/43.6/409

2021 28.6/37.3/401

My whole point in this is to defend (a bit) Coach P and the assistants on the offensive side. We are not good, but these are not terrible numbers. What we lack on offense is the discipline to avoid unforced errors like penalties and bad reads and unforced turnovers. We can move the ball. To me the offense seems on track, but they are being asked to overcome a very deficient defense.
I believe to make a true comparison you need to look at points per drive (Or points per play), not points per game. We all understand that CPJ's TO offense was in part designed to shorten games and reduce the number of possessions by both teams.

In that light, Collins' and Patenaude's offense this year has finally reached the pinnacle...of being about as good as CPJ's WORST offensive years were :

Year PPP (points per Play)
2021 0.383
2020 0.335
2019 0.245 CGC hired
2018 0.486 CPJ last year
2017 0.381
2016 0.459
2015 0.385
2014 0.521

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Yep. Here in Lincoln NE not only are football games sold out (90k +), but also volleyball in a big coliseum. We have the same 3-9 problem with our hero Scott frost. Who's gonna be better at NE than Frost? Here there is no alternative entertainment.
Well that is the state university. South Carolina has put up with mediocrity for years yet William Brice is always full. Tech does not have that luxury. Nor does Miami it would seem.

JCTNJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
So my argument as to path forward is: which ACCC program would trade their FB program- potential, players, coaches, system, etc with us for 2022? Probably none. Duke maybe, but has better coach? I think with all the smart GT folks a strategic assessment is required and an honest evaluation about how we are going to compete against the capabilities of the teams in our league: $, stadiums, recruiting, . If we have mid-level resources it means finding ways to exaggerate your advantages and hide weaknesses. I think Collins gets some of it, as does Stansbury. The football part- coaching, recruiting, schemes, speed, skill, strength, seems to have slipped since O'Leary, and even Gailey. Seems we'll find out if we are as close as Collins proclaims, because we don't have VT's $ to dump Collins.

Tjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Do you mean Burton would not be fired because he's a four-year letterman? We can't afford to extend that courtesy. Another year of this defense and they'll all be gone - Collins, Burton, Thacker, the whole lot of them. This is not a time to stand on ceremony. They need to do what is best for the team, period.
If they love GA TECH as much they say do? they should RESIGN!!! Save the the Athletic Dept some money for the next staff and recruiting budget.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Who's gonna be better at NE than Frost? Here there is no alternative entertainment.

are you kidding me? I haven't been there in a long while but that state used to have great pheasant hunting as well as deer hunting. What has happened? I quit going there once I quit deer hunting and moved the pheasant hunts up to SD. Me, I'd rather shoot pheasants than go to a Nebraska FB game. I hate the color red.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
We have a lot more drives now than we used to.
Points per drive
2014: 3.37 (4)
2015: 1.84 (88)
2016: 2.57 (33)
2017: 2.19 (57)
2018: 2.88 (15)

2019: 1.3 (125)
2020: 1.86 (96)
2021: 2.08 (77)

It should be noted that PPD is increasing on average nationally. This year's performance is only better than 2015, which everyone can agree was our worst under CPJ in his final years. So despite a nearly identical PPG between 2016 and 2021, the 0.5 PPD difference is equivalent to 6 points since we average 12 drives per game this year.

2014...JESUS!

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
We have a lot more drives now than we used to.
Points per drive
2014: 3.37 (4)
2015: 1.84 (88)
2016: 2.57 (33)
2017: 2.19 (57)
2018: 2.88 (15)

2019: 1.3 (125)
2020: 1.86 (96)
2021: 2.08 (77)

It should be noted that PPD is increasing on average nationally. This year's performance is only better than 2015, which everyone can agree was our worst under CPJ in his final years. So despite a nearly identical PPG between 2016 and 2021, the 0.5 PPD difference is equivalent to 6 points since we average 12 drives per game this year.
Sticky this post! We should tattoo this in the front of the message boards.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
If they love GA TECH as much they say do? they should RESIGN!!! Save the the Athletic Dept some money for the next staff and recruiting budget.
Well, they might love their families more. If they're contracted for next year, that's a lot of money to leave on the table. And their future job prospects may not be so great.

Jmonty71

Banned
Winning generates bandwagon fans. Winning is a great way to grow your fanbase by exposing your brand to new people/markets.

If losing costs you fans, then they weren't fans of the team, they were fans of a "winning" team. As a lifelong Falcons, Braves, and GT fan, I can promise you I've never walked away because of losing, though I've had ample opportunity.
So, your logic... We generate band wagon fans.... How many leave, when we lose? 100%? Even if we can grow the fan base by 20%, its far better than losing fans, by attrition. Plus, I wouldn't mind a stadium full of band wagoneers, versus a half full stadium, at best, of true fans.....

GTBlaze

Banned
Let’s hope and pray the fans show up. I just don’t get Ga Tech fans and alumni. Tell me why would any good player would want to come to tech to play in a less than half empty stadium with one of the worst fanbase in all of college football. I’m not an alum but I’m a lifelong tech fan and it just pisses me off to look at the stadium when it’s half empty. In case y’all don’t know players get more pump and hyped and want to play harder when the stadiums more full and the place is going crazy. If time for the Tech nation to get behind this program Bc if your a true fan you should love them more when there down. Yes I get so pissed off when the lose and it ruins my whole day and sometimes my week but by god I’m a true fan because the next week I’m right back cheering my *** off for them. So the fans who say they want come back next year to see them play please never come back because your not a true fan.
Get out with that crap. We suck as fans? I’ve been a tech fan my entire life. Just because I don’t want to waste 6 hours on a Saturday afternoon to watch the team I love look like dog shot doesn’t mean that I am a ****ty fan.

I don’t live in Atlanta but when I am in Atlanta during football season I am going to a game. However, after the NIU game this season opener, I have no desire whatsoever to waste my time while visiting Atlanta to watch the team suck

SandySpringsJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Let’s hope and pray the fans show up. I just don’t get Ga Tech fans and alumni. Tell me why would any good player would want to come to tech to play in a less than half empty stadium with one of the worst fanbase in all of college football. I’m not an alum but I’m a lifelong tech fan and it just pisses me off to look at the stadium when it’s half empty. In case y’all don’t know players get more pump and hyped and want to play harder when the stadiums more full and the place is going crazy. If time for the Tech nation to get behind this program Bc if your a true fan you should love them more when there down. Yes I get so pissed off when the lose and it ruins my whole day and sometimes my week but by god I’m a true fan because the next week I’m right back cheering my *** off for them. So the fans who say they want come back next year to see them play please never come back because your not a true fan.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Winning generates bandwagon fans. Winning is a great way to grow your fanbase by exposing your brand to new people/markets.

If losing costs you fans, then they weren't fans of the team, they were fans of a "winning" team. As a lifelong Falcons, Braves, and GT fan, I can promise you I've never walked away because of losing, though I've had ample opportunity.
Amen to that!

SandySpringsJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I agree. It is hard to watch a losing team but I am a fan and want to support the team and school in the bad times. I read in the AJC that the average home attendance at BDS is less than 30K and smaller than it has been in over 30 years.It seems like Tech plays better on the road because the home crowds are so dead. I am very disappointed in the job of CGC so far, but hope the fans do not desert the program. It will be especially sad on senior day for the seniors to take the field with their parents before the game in a sea of red. This reminds me of 1990: UGA on top and Tech on the bottom. But it will not last forever. Look what happened in 1990.

Bonaire41

Jolly Good Fellow
I agree. It is hard to watch a losing team but I am a fan and want to support the team and school in the bad times. I read in the AJC that the average home attendance at BDS is less than 30K and smaller than it has been in over 30 years.It seems like Tech plays better on the road because the home crowds are so dead. I am very disappointed in the job of CGC so far, but hope the fans do not desert the program. It will be especially sad on senior day for the seniors to take the field with their parents before the game in a sea of red. This reminds me of 1990: UGA on top and Tech on the bottom. But it will not last forever. Look what happened in 1990.
Thanks for that post. Me and you get it. They are a lot of posters on here just don’t get it. I know most on here just want to complain. It makes me so sick to my stomach to watch UGA play in Bobby Dodd the last 20 years when there’s more red than tech fans. Most tech fans say they despise UGA with a passion but they just let them take over our stadium like it’s there’s. All I ever heard for years and years is the saying THWG and it’s our biggest game on our schedule but we can’t keep the red out. If this rivalry ever ment this much to our fanbase why and hell can’t our fanbase buy the majority of the tickets and limited them just there allotment of tickets. They sure and hell not going to let us take over there stadium. You can’t tell me there’s not 50 thousand tech fans out there. I just don’t get it and I guess I never will understand Georgia Tech thought process.