Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
If it takes winning to be a fan, then you're not a fan of the team, you're a fan of winning.
You are damn right I am a fan of winning. People are NOT going to pay money to see losers. Geoff will, for better or worse, be judged by how many games he wins not the perceived effort of the players, or the progress they make, or how many make it in the "league".

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
If it takes winning to be a fan, then you're not a fan of the team, you're a fan of winning.

If you don't win, then constantly **** on your fans, how could a real fan continue to financially support that? I will not be making the drive from SC until something changes. I am still a real fan.

I will take some winning, some improvement, some acting like you care, but something has to change.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
If you don't win, then constantly **** on your fans, how could a real fan continue to financially support that? I will not be making the drive from SC until something changes. I am still a real fan.

I will take some winning, some improvement, some acting like you care, but something has to change.

I stand by what I said. If lack of wins keeps you from coming to the game when you would otherwise be there, then you are a fan of winning.

And I haven't seen anything close to "constantly **** on your fans"

Jmonty71

Banned
Yeah... but fact is fact... winning generates ticket sales and losing does not. It takes winning to generate fan bases.... Hell, I have a friend that graduated from Vandy and supports UT. If we stop caring about Ws, you might as well sign a death warrant to the program. I foresee ticket sales going down, next year. Reason? Economy is about to hit the tank and people will want to be mindful on what they spend money on. I cannot see supporting a losing team, with a coach that can't get out of his own way, as a place to spend part of their income. Yet, I foresee wining programs to see little to no change, next year. I may be wrong. But, we'll see come next season.....

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Yeah... but fact is fact... winning generates ticket sales and losing does not. It takes winning to generate fan bases.... Hell, I have a friend that graduated from Vandy and supports UT. If we stop caring about Ws, you might as well sign a death warrant to the program. I foresee ticket sales going down, next year. Reason? Economy is about to hit the tank and people will want to be mindful on what they spend money on. I cannot see supporting a losing team, with a coach that can't get out of his own way, as a place to spend part of their income. Yet, I foresee wining programs to see little to no change, next year. I may be wrong. But, we'll see come next season.....

Winning generates bandwagon fans. Winning is a great way to grow your fanbase by exposing your brand to new people/markets.

If losing costs you fans, then they weren't fans of the team, they were fans of a "winning" team. As a lifelong Falcons, Braves, and GT fan, I can promise you I've never walked away because of losing, though I've had ample opportunity.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
You can’t figure in “except” Clemson. That is one loss for every opponent.
First, yes I can. It’s obvious to anyone in the world that Clemson has been a top 3 team the last decade. Including them in the ACC rankings would be like SEC fans claiming their superiority based on Bama being good. If that’s who you are go ahead.

Second, Clemson is still 7-3 with losses to 3 ranked teams. One of which is #1. They also happen to have given that #1 team their best game of the season. That includes several “ranked” SEC teams. They’re not some dumpster fire. Just not their normal top 3 self.

Lastly, people like you dumping in the ACC have no clue. You’re using that argument to make a point about Collins being a bad coach and that’s it. As I mentioned earlier, there are many things to complain about. Falsely bashing the strength of the conference relative to previous years isn’t one of them.

If we did use Clemson as you wish, what does that change?

We lost to this this year and last year and every year before that back to 2014.

Clemson is down. That’s a fact. The rest of the ACC is normal with a chance to be potentially better than usual.

My guess is the ACC finishes with 2-4 teams in the top 25 and 9 teams bowl eligible.

I’m not saying the ACC is a great football conference, but relative to any other year, it’s the same or better save having the lone great team in Clemson.

GTjunkie

Jolly Good Fellow
We have a lot more drives now than we used to.
Points per drive
2014: 3.37 (4)
2015: 1.84 (88)
2016: 2.57 (33)
2017: 2.19 (57)
2018: 2.88 (15)

2019: 1.3 (125)
2020: 1.86 (96)
2021: 2.08 (77)

It should be noted that PPD is increasing on average nationally. This year's performance is only better than 2015, which everyone can agree was our worst under CPJ in his final years. So despite a nearly identical PPG between 2016 and 2021, the 0.5 PPD difference is equivalent to 6 points since we average 12 drives per game this year.
Bingo!

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
My solution is to give him until 2022 or 2023, when we can afford to fire him, to see if he is capable of improving the team to where we want it to be. I don't think firing him now solves anything.
I wasn't suggesting firing him now with my question. I was asking if you have any suggestions for improving the game management issues.

I don't think it is realistic that he would be fired this year, so he will have at least one more year to turn things around. However, if the timeout/clock/down-distance/substitutions/etc. type issues aren't improved next year I think it is unlikely that he will have an opportunity in 2023.

I think it is in the team and the fans' best interest for CGC to succeed. If he is fired and replaced, it will start another rebuilding era. No matter what any fan thinks about the coach, they should want the team to win more than they want the coach to be fired.

DavidStandingBear

Jolly Good Fellow
Best post of the year nomination.
Was just talking to someone and commented that those of us who have been around for a while (i.e. old and worked in the real world for a long time) recognized the Collins schtick immediately. Yes, the Waffle House stuff was cute and the social media stuff was better and recruiting is better than it has been. But to me, Collins always gave off (and still gives off) the vibe of repeating slogan and catch phrases but NOTHING else.

Say it how you will, in over his head, not as smart as he thinks he is, trying to pull a fast one on us, not ready for prime time, but I don't think most intelligent folks (i.e. Tech graduates and fans) have ever bought what he's selling. The stupidity of people jumping up and down on the sidelines holding signs that say "Money Down" when you can't stop anyone is just comical. I was told two years ago that "he isn't speaking to you, he's speaking to 18 year olds." Well, the reason is likely because 18 year olds are the only ones who would believe his schtick.

Finally, if any coach at Tech in a high profile position could learn the most important lesson to appeasing Tech fans it would be this, look at Bobby Cremins. After every loss, he would take the full blame and responsibility and at least say that he was going to get it fixed. He never used catch phrases or talked about how Dwayne Morrison left him in such a mess (he did, 4-23 the year before Cremins came). We are intelligent people, take the blame for how we're playing. Not that it will excuse losing, but it will at least show that you get it, there are things that are wrong and they will be addressed. Saying "elite" over and over again and "no one works harder than those guys in that locker room" and "when we won at Temple, we did XYZ." Tech people aren't that stupid.

Anyway, he better figure out some sort of contrition in the next two weeks, because we may be somewhat competitive this week, but we're likely getting boat raced at home next week, with 70% of the fans in red and black and with so many "bad fans" ( :rolleyes: ) saying they aren't renewing their tickets next year, he's walking a really fine line for his survival.
yes! but I thought the Waffle House stuff was goofy also. Like who could order the most high carb food? I also don't think that anyone should act like a big shot, know it all, with no track record.

DavidStandingBear

Jolly Good Fellow
Commendable but after back to back to back 3 win seasons it becomes harder to justify the time and expense when there are other things to do on fall afternoons.
Yep. Here in Lincoln NE not only are football games sold out (90k +), but also volleyball in a big coliseum. We have the same 3-9 problem with our hero Scott frost. Who's gonna be better at NE than Frost? Here there is no alternative entertainment.

TruckStick

Ramblin' Wreck
I want CGC to succeed but the bone headed mistakes and coaching decisions are baffling and frustrating. The lack of self awareness and constant self promotion and boasting continues. The guy needs a reality check more than anyone out there right now.

Above all he “loves his players” and it’s emotional in there. Cut the bull CGC and coach like your job depends on it.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I want CGC to succeed but the bone headed mistakes and coaching decisions are baffling and frustrating. The lack of self awareness and constant self promotion and boasting continues. The guy needs a reality check more than anyone out there right now.

Above all he “loves his players” and it’s emotional in there. Cut the bull CGC and coach like your job depends on it.
I can't get inside his mind, so I don't know how much he really cares, but he has 20 million reasons to care less.
I thought Hewitt went downhill after he signed his big, fat auto rollover contract. I hope the next guy we get in here has some back-loaded incentives.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer

For a guy who schemed for 20 years to get his dream job, he is remarkably tone deaf to the culture of the school. I said that when was hired ... “he might win games, but he will lose the fan base.”

He still thinks his ONLY audience are players. He better start loving butts in the seats.

Saban hired him first, back in 2007. Does anyone remember “Money Down” at Alabama? Or any of the other schtick? No. Because he knows if he had tried that there, they would have wrapped his privates in barbed wire.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
For a guy who schemed for 20 years to get his dream job, he is remarkably tone deaf to the culture of the school. I said that when was hired ... “he might win games, but he will lose the fan base.”

He still thinks his ONLY audience are players. He better start loving butts in the seats.

Saban hired him first, back in 2007. Does anyone remember “Money Down” at Alabama? Or any of the other schtick? No. Because he knows if he had tried that there, they would have wrapped his privates in barbed wire.
Did he have "Money Down" at Temple?