Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
I stand by what I said. If lack of wins keeps you from coming to the game when you would otherwise be there, then you are a fan of winning.

And I haven't seen anything close to "constantly **** on your fans"
There is a name for that type of "fan", front runner! The state of Georgia is replete with people who claim to be "big Dawg fans!" But, you ask them if they ever watch UGa basketball and it's, NO!. I pull for Duke in basketball.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Thanks for that post. Me and you get it. They are a lot of posters on here just don’t get it. I know most on here just want to complain. It makes me so sick to my stomach to watch UGA play in Bobby Dodd the last 20 years when there’s more red than tech fans. Most tech fans say they despise UGA with a passion but they just let them take over our stadium like it’s there’s. All I ever heard for years and years is the saying THWG and it’s our biggest game on our schedule but we can’t keep the red out. If this rivalry ever ment this much to our fanbase why and hell can’t our fanbase buy the majority of the tickets and limited them just there allotment of tickets. They sure and hell not going to let us take over there stadium. You can’t tell me there’s not 50 thousand tech fans out there. I just don’t get it and I guess I never will understand Georgia Tech thought process.
I'm curious. Do you know how many Tech alumni there are and how many UGA alumni are? How about fanbase sizes? Season ticket holders?

UGA TOWERS over Tech in all three categories. Tech has half the alumni base, many of which don't live in GA. Add to that the UGA is the land grant school and represents the state and you have a huge sidewalk fan base. Tech has a grand total of about 22,000 season ticket holders. UGA;'s is closer to 80,000. UGA revenue from season ticket sales, seatbacks, and seat donations is normally between $60-$65 million in Sanford Stadium. That's nearly the same as Tech's total budget. By comparison, Tech generates about $10M ... one-sixth that of UGA.

It's an issue of real scale and there is no use complaining about it. These things are decades in the making. At one time, Tech was THE TICKET in the South. BDS was the largest football stadium in the South at the height of Bobby Dodd's fame. Well, we left the SEC and it's been downhill since. We no longer produce engineers for Georgia ... our brand has gone global. It's probably not going to get better. Just look at the demographics.

I suggest you either drink heavily or come to terms with it.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I wasn't suggesting firing him now with my question. I was asking if you have any suggestions for improving the game management issues.

I don't think it is realistic that he would be fired this year, so he will have at least one more year to turn things around. However, if the timeout/clock/down-distance/substitutions/etc. type issues aren't improved next year I think it is unlikely that he will have an opportunity in 2023.

I think it is in the team and the fans' best interest for CGC to succeed. If he is fired and replaced, it will start another rebuilding era. No matter what any fan thinks about the coach, they should want the team to win more than they want the coach to be fired.

I think just giving him time will help some. Learning to react well under pressure takes practice. For some people it comes easier than others. In a couple of seasons we may shake this off as beginners nerves. If he doesn't improve, he will likely be gone anyways.

Bonaire41

Jolly Good Fellow
I think just giving him time will help some. Learning to react well under pressure takes practice. For some people it comes easier than others. In a couple of seasons we may shake this off as beginners nerves. If he doesn't improve, he will likely be gone anyways.
I'm curious. Do you know how many Tech alumni there are and how many UGA alumni are? How about fanbase sizes? Season ticket holders?

UGA TOWERS over Tech in all three categories. Tech has half the alumni base, many of which don't live in GA. Add to that the UGA is the land grant school and represents the state and you have a huge sidewalk fan base. Tech has a grand total of about 22,000 season ticket holders. UGA;'s is closer to 80,000. UGA revenue from season ticket sales, seatbacks, and seat donations is normally between $60-$65 million in Sanford Stadium. That's nearly the same as Tech's total budget. By comparison, Tech generates about $10M ... one-sixth that of UGA.

It's an issue of real scale and there is no use complaining about it. These things are decades in the making. At one time, Tech was THE TICKET in the South. BDS was the largest football stadium in the South at the height of Bobby Dodd's fame. Well, we left the SEC and it's been downhill since. We no longer produce engineers for Georgia ... our brand has gone global. It's probably not going to get better. Just look at the demographics.

[/QUOTE I already know this but I have been to many big time games over the years like the FSU White Game in 2015 where we had over 40 to 45 thousand tech fans in attendance for that game and many others but when Georgia comes to town We have 25 to 27 thousand and they have 30 thousand at the game. It shouldnt matter if there better or not its a rivalry game and we should have at least 40 to 45 thousand tech fans at that one game when we play in Atlanta. Point Blank. I get so tired of the excuses to not get the red out year after year. It’s like Most Tech fans are so scared of Georgia Fans.

Bonaire41

Jolly Good Fellow

I have been to games and not that long ago like the whiteout game in 2015 against FSU where we had 43 to 47 thousand just tech fans not counting the FSU fans but when it comes to UGA Game which is our biggest rivalry we can’t get half or less than that stadium full is absolutely pathetic. That game shouldn’t matter what our record is nor should there record is. And make things worst is that game is always senior day for the players. That make even worse and is just pathetic. I will be there and I just hope at least 40 thousand or more tech fans will be there also.

f

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
I have been to games and not that long ago like the whiteout game in 2015 against FSU where we had 43 to 47 thousand just tech fans not counting the FSU fans but when it comes to UGA Game which is our biggest rivalry we can’t get half or less than that stadium full is absolutely pathetic. That game shouldn’t matter what our record is nor should there record is. And make things worst is that game is always senior day for the players. That make even worse and is just pathetic. I will be there and I just hope at least 40 thousand or more tech fans will be there also.

f

One reason behind this may be because FSU fans didn’t buy season tickets to Bobby Dodd just for that game. I know so many mutts who do that every other year.

Bonaire41

Jolly Good Fellow
One reason behind this may be because FSU fans didn’t buy season tickets to Bobby Dodd just for that game. I know so many mutts who do that every other year.
So they said they sold around 22 thousand season tickets this year so over half is uga fans. Is that what your saying and last I seen the stadium holds around 55 thousand?

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
So they said they sold around 22 thousand season tickets this year so over half is uga fans. Is that what your saying and last I seen the stadium holds around 55 thousand?

I’m not saying half are UGA fans, I’m just saying that probably does make a difference between that FSU game. But hell, with how we’ve played the last two years, maybe half are UGA fans haha

jayparr

Helluva Engineer

Tremendous post!!!

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
It isn't. Hasn't been for a couple of years now.
Come to think of it, even Florida has not been overflowing like it used to be. Good thing college football has lucrative television contracts to fall back on because if it were still depending upon ticket sales, concessions, parking, and the like, it would be in some trouble at most schools.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
If you quit supporting your team because times are tough, you're a bad fan. Period.

To clarify, this thread is full of frustrated fans. I get frustration. Withholding support from your team because you don't like the results is where I draw the line.
No. At the end of the day football is entertainment. If it stops being entertaining then people stop attending. That doesn’t make them bad fans, that makes them people that realize that life is short, and spending half your weekend doing something that has a net negative effect on your life is a poor decision.

Now, should wins be the ultimate determination of entertainment? No. But if actually looked like we knew what we were doing on one side of the ball or we were losing games on fluke plays then I think the attitude might be slightly different.

In other words it’s not just the results that are bad. The inputs are bad. That’s what makes it not entertaining.

The team (coaches and players together) aren’t entitled to support. It has to be earned. Right now they aren’t doing a whole lot to earn it.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Come to think of it, even Florida has not been overflowing like it used to be. Good thing college football has lucrative television contracts to fall back on because if it were still depending upon ticket sales, concessions, parking, and the like, it would be in some trouble at most schools.

It's a chicken and egg situation. The biggest reason for the decline in attendance everywhere is the fact that (almost) all games are televised. The biggest detriment to in-person atmosphere is the seemingly endless TV timeouts.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
It's a chicken and egg situation. The biggest reason for the decline in attendance everywhere is the fact that (almost) all games are televised. The biggest detriment to in-person atmosphere is the seemingly endless TV timeouts.
Agreed. Although I was at UF - Tenn and it was a capacity crowd. Now that was before their team collapsed but wed kill to have that % of seats filled

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
No. At the end of the day football is entertainment. If it stops being entertaining then people stop attending. That doesn’t make them bad fans, that makes them people that realize that life is short, and spending half your weekend doing something that has a net negative effect on your life is a poor decision.

Now, should wins be the ultimate determination of entertainment? No. But if actually looked like we knew what we were doing on one side of the ball or we were losing games on fluke plays then I think the attitude might be slightly different.

In other words it’s not just the results that are bad. The inputs are bad. That’s what makes it not entertaining.

The team (coaches and players together) aren’t entitled to support. It has to be earned. Right now they aren’t doing a whole lot to earn it.
Solid post.

It won’t settle the good fan versus bad fan arguments but it gets at an essential truth. The ancient ideal of sports is not a guaranteed win but showing up for competition in a credible way.

You just dropped the mic.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I don’t even like to watch games live on TV anymore unless it’s in a bar and/or with a bunch of other people having other conversations and things going on.

If I am watching by myself I record the game and start watching 30+ minutes after the game has started. I can fast forward through the interminable commercial breaks.