Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
Good points. Do you know that he did not ask Paul for recommendations? What should the assumption be if you do not know either way?

I heard it second hand from a source I trust, but I won’t pretend I have in depth inside knowledge. I think perhaps the relationship was a bit rocky during the retirement announcement. Maybe disjointed is a better way to put it. I think they had a good relationship overall, but CPJ and Tstan were both frustrated with the pressure from donors. A frustrated CPJ is better left alone Nd I think that is what Tstan did.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
Remember when CPJ used to say winning is harder that it looks, but then he could pull out a win with a bunch of 1 and 2 star recruits.

Now we have good recruits and out coach can barely win 3 games.

All this losing has me convinced that the staff isn't coaching well enough to get our players ready.

LibertyTurns

Banned
That $32 million from the ACC only represents about 40% of our annual budget. Which sports do you think is responsible for making up the majority of the other 60% gap?

I’m having a hard time making this article jive with previous information. In FY2018 which ended June 30, 2018 we ran a $2M surplus. This was football revenue from 2017. We had similar attendance numbers in 2018 as 2017, but we blew our $5M rainy day fund hiring all the new staff. Football attendance was lower in 2019, 2020 was abysmal, 2021 is even lower than 2019. We got $26.9 from the ACC in FY 18, $29.5M in FY19, $32M in FY 20. The ACC Network caused the payout to jump to $37M in FY 21. We’re making $11M more than FY 18 where we cleared $2M, and now are clearing $2M. Basketball & the minor revenue sports are doing better, so it’s telling us football is costing us $11M/yr more than 3-4 years ago. We do have investment income which is a sizable budget line item & that should not have slowed down. FY 21 should have been a great year for investments. We got a cash infusion of I think $3-4M from the fundraising efforts.

This ROI here is making my head spin. I’m thinking we spent an extra $25-30M total in 3 years over what we were spending under the old regime. By my account we’ve gone from an average cost of $4M/win to $12M/win. On top of that we laid out $9M at the start to get the new staff & increase the size, add to the recruiting budget, and blew a $5M rainy day fund on top of that.

Anyone else have any insights, thoughts on what’s really going on?

Bonaire41

Jolly Good Fellow
Remember when CPJ used to say winning is harder that it looks, but then he could pull out a win with a bunch of 1 and 2 star recruits.

Now we have good recruits and out coach can barely win 3 games.

All this losing has me convinced that the staff isn't coaching well enough to get our players ready.
You think 🤔

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
University of Kansas hired a good coach, so there’s still hope we can in the future if the GTAA will interview more than 3 people and if so interview some good candidates. Seems like Tstan really took the easy way out on this hire and we’re paying for it big time.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Heisman was an established coach at Auburn and Clemson before coming to Tech. Dodd played for General Neyland, probably the greatest football mind of his era. Broyles apprenticed under Dodd.

We found Geoff at a bus station near Philadelphia. No discernible tree or skills. Dan Mullen wasn't impressed when he bolted Mississippi State for a lateral to Florida.

COACH - gave no notice.

We were and are 200,000,000 in debt.
Last in acc in donations and ticket revunue

Coach w Playbook in head quit with no notice.

Sorry but we were like clouds with no rain $$$$

Imo, no TOP 20 coach would even accept the rebuild job? Besides we were broke. Maybe if we has a long time hunt we would be' better off.

BUT It is what it is.

Somehow the Bus Station shopper brought loyal tech men back-- choice and coleman and key. (Amazingly we got Gibbs.)

But he had a bus station budget and a tight time window so he brought his crew.
That was step 1

Now for step 2
Time to get the cheap gt retired engineers to make it rain enough so we can hire coordinators that don't need any help from collins to field and game manage a solid team. We have some good talent on field so good coordinators can be' attracted .

Adding them would surely allow for improved recruiting by collins.
Imo this is the plan

Coach Choice is planning on staying until we are a championship team.

Seems like tstan has to get a us to send some rain to get real coordinators .

Perhaps we are clouds without rain.

Bonaire41

Jolly Good Fellow
Collins knows it the players knows it and we the fans knows it and stansbury knows it. The question is can Collins and Stansbury fix it????

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
I don’t think that’s true at all. They would all love to beat Ole Miss, but they would not trade their only national title in school history for 1 win against Ole Miss. MSU takes pride in being one of the best baseball schools in the country, and if you’ve ever interacted with them you’d know how much they love the “Dude.” MSU is known for having the best atmosphere in college baseball, their football atmosphere pales in comparison.
My undergraduate degree is from Ole Miss. I interact with them semi-regularly.

Go over to elitedawgs, or sixpackspeak (their two main message boards), and read for the past year (I am a regular viewer of both boards).

They absolutely take pride in being one of the best baseball programs in america, as they should, but they do so because they don't have football success in which to be proud.

I know what i'm talking about on this one.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
They absolutely take pride in being one of the best baseball programs in america, as they should, but they do so because they don't have football success in which to be proud.
That’s my whole point. Mississippi State, Georgia Tech, Kansas, Oregon State, Vandy, Duke, etc will never be elite football programs. Other schools have figured out that you can be elite in sports other than football and still provide a great deal of pride and entertainment within your athletic department.

I have friends who are currently enrolled, and are recent graduates at Miss St, and they say baseball games are the most fun thing on campus all year. A few of them aren’t even actual baseball fans, they just like it because it’s a big event. That’s why there are so many casual football fans, because it’s a big event held on a weekend where a lot of people gather either at the stadium, at home, or out at bars or whatnot to watch it.

I seriously doubt Miss St. fans would trade in their one and only natty just to beat Ole Miss this year. If it was to win 10 games a year and beat Ole Miss 5 times in a row? Sure. But not for 1 game, and not for a 7 win season. That’s what my original comment was about. Someone said they’d trade every ounce of success by our other programs from a winning season. That would be about the worst thing possible for GT sports.

It’s all relative. I’m sure Vandy would trade in a year or 2 of being elite in baseball for a year or 2 of being above average in football because they already have titles. They already have a name for themselves. Kansas would almost definitely trade in a year of being a title contender in basketball for a year of being even average at football. Because once again, they already have titles and a huge brand name in basketball.

Miss St. doesn’t have that history. They’ve always been pretty good at baseball, but never have they had a title. For them the payoff would have to be much larger than being above average in football, it would likely need to be a playoff contending team.

Georgia, a team desperate to get the monkey off their back in football would likely forfeit every single game in every sport to secure a football natty. But after they got their first I doubt they would do it again. Georgia has a pretty rich baseball history too, and they would definitely get tired of Tech beating them every year in baseball and basketball. Failing to beat Georgia in non football sports haunted Tech in what was probably one of the worst eras in overall GT sports after the 2016 football win. I think over the next 3 seasons of baseball, basketball, and football we went something like 1-11 against them. That’s pitiful, and it just increased their already incredibly tight grip on the state.