Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Guys, you can call me a “bad” fan, but I really don’t give a **** about volleyball or golf. I think if most were honest, they’d say the same thing. Football and men’s basketball are the only two collegiate sports that are mainstream. Let’s just be honest. That’s all most people care about.
Yeah. I mean it’s a cool conversation piece when they’re good, and it’s cool for the kids and I’m happy they are able to benefit from it. But if football and men’s basketball didn’t exist I probably wouldn’t follow Tech athletics at all. Baseball pretty much falls into the same category, but I’ll watch it more closely if we make the post season.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Yeah. I mean it’s a cool conversation piece when they’re good, and it’s cool for the kids and I’m happy they are able to benefit from it. But if football and men’s basketball didn’t exist I probably wouldn’t follow Tech athletics at all. Baseball pretty much falls into the same category, but I’ll watch it more closely if we make the post season.
Bruce Heppler has done a helluva job with golf and raises a ton of money. My recollection is that he has the nicest suite at Bobby Dodd. Even better than the AD suite.

I *think* that is where we are headed. Use the ACC payouts to reinvest across all athletics and try to get to the point where we are marginally competitive again at football. Supposedly TStan was "laser focused" on fixing football, so we can put a question mark there.

rfjeff9

Jolly Good Fellow
Kiffin has done a heck of a job. Much to my surprise.
A lot of talent in Mississippi, they just needed someone to come in and keep it from going to Alabama and LSU. Plus, regardless of what people thought of Kiffin a few years ago, he has matured and is a pretty good coach. Same for Leach, and let us all pause and LOL at what State did to Auburn yesterday.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Bruce Heppler has done a helluva job with golf and raises a ton of money. My recollection is that he has the nicest suite at Bobby Dodd. Even better than the AD suite.

I *think* that is where we are headed. Use the ACC payouts to reinvest across all athletics and try to get to the point where we are marginally competitive again at football. Supposedly TStan was "laser focused" on fixing football, so we can put a question mark there.

Bruce Heppler has the most dominant program in GT sports in the last 2 decades plus. It's not a "revenue" sport like basketball and football, but our men's golf program is easily the most consistent and most dominant program in the last 2 decades plus. No other program has won as much and as consistently as our golf program.

Danny Hall, for all the grief he gets for not having more post season success, his program is the second most dominant program at GT.

Kenny Thorn, our tennis coach, is probably right there with Hall in terms of success at GT.

I'm not familiar with our other "non revenue" sports to make a statement about it, so others can chime in. My point in all of this our most dominant programs have been dominant well before TStan came here, and if TStan were to leave tommorrow, those programs would continue to do well because of coaches TStan was lucky to inherit.

Our Men's basketball team making the tournament wasn't due to some genius manuever by TStan like helping Pastner hire an outstanding recruiter or a top notch assistant. Reveno, one of the best assistants in any sports at GT, was already here. All the players that led our run to the ACCT championship and NCAAT appearance were already here when TStan was hired.

TStan did well with women's basketball convincing Nell Fortner to leave the ESPN booth and return to coaching. She has been a fantastic hire in terms of leadership and coaching acumen...and she can recruit like I wish Pastner could. TStan deserves a lot of credit for hitting home run here.

If CGC turns out to be a dud of a hire (unfortunately, it's trending in that direction), none of that will matter because this will be TStan's biggest albatross unless he finds a coach that will make us all forget CGC. TStan will get to make the next football HC hire because he's earned enough capital with donors and most fans, but if that one turns out to be a dud as well, TStan's days may be numbered. When you're a P5 AD, getting your football program in the right direction is maybe at the top of your responsibilities because the revenue from football funnels down to every other program. Football is the rising tide that lifts all boats in college athletics at the P5 level.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer

I have been in his offices. He has a large area but mainly down in the bowels of the north end zone. The suite for watching the games is in the NW corner. Not the best view. He has one room with all the team trophies and there are a lot of them. He has the pro golf bags of former players and there are a bunch of them too. It is not plush by any stretch but he has a lot of space.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
When you're a P5 AD, getting your football program in the right direction is maybe at the top of your responsibilities because the revenue from football funnels down to every other program. Football is the rising tide that lifts all boats in college athletics at the P5 level.
I don't disagree with the importance of the two main revenue sports ... football and MBB. Regardless of performance, GT will still receive $32 million from the ACCN. That's why Vandy will never leave the SEC.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I don't disagree with the importance of the two main revenue sports ... football and MBB. Regardless of performance, GT will still receive $32 million from the ACCN. That's why Vandy will never leave the SEC.

That $32 million from the ACC only represents about 40% of our annual budget. Which sports do you think is responsible for making up the majority of the other 60% gap?

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
That $32 million from the ACC only represents about 40% of our annual budget. Which sports do you think is responsible for making up the majority of the other 60% gap?

Almost none. Let's look at Total Revenue, which is comprised of ticket sales ($10.8M), ACCN ($32.2M), Contributions - unrestricted ($3.5M), Event related revenue ($16.7M), and Other Revenue ($10.3M).

Football contributes to ticket sales, event related (almost all of it) and that's it. So, yes ... football contributes more, but it isn't as much as you think. Football consumes more as well.

Bonaire41

Jolly Good Fellow
These are the NCAA statistics through yesterday. Net is mediocre on offense and horrible on defense. I compared the last year of Johnson and his defense were definitely better. Part of it was clearly the number of possessions in a 3O game. But bottom line is more effective on defense and comparable on offense with fewer possessions. Regardless of the Johnson comparison, we are in the bottom 20% on most defensive categories. With the standard offense we are running, we are locked into 3 wins per year. If there are no coaching changes at the end of this year, Season Tickets and Funding will definitely take a significant hit. I have been a Season Ticket holder for over 20 years and I am debating about next year.

Defense

Total Defense 114 out of 130 (2018 33 out of 129)

3rd Down Conversion Defense 115 out of 130

Passes Intercepted 122 out of 130

Passing Yards Allowed 117 out of 130

Team Sacks 105 out of 130

Team Defense Passing Efficiency 126 out of 130

Scoring Defense 93 out of 100 (2018 64 of 129)

Offense

Total Offense 65 out of 130 (2018 74 out of 130)

3rd Down Conversions 86 out of 130

Passes had intercepted 79 out of 130

Passing 73 out of 130

Sacks Allowed 79 out of 130

Team Passing Efficiency 68 out of 130

Scoring Offense 62 out of 130 (2018 70 out of 129)
Will someone please twitter that to Kelly quinlan and tell him please read that to him at the Tuesday press conference and say Geoff how is this improving as you have stated that last few weeks as you say. I would but I don’t have a Twitter account.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
Guys, you can call me a “bad” fan, but I really don’t give a **** about volleyball or golf. I think if most were honest, they’d say the same thing. Football and men’s basketball are the only two collegiate sports that are mainstream. Let’s just be honest. That’s all most people care about.
Yup. Football is my focal point. And i can’t stand when people’s one leg to stand on when we lose or suck is that we have smarter players. Like that’s supposed to make me feel better.

Ima football fan. I could care less about these dudes grades lol

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Close to 10 wins? 😂. CGC will probably get his 10th win on 9/10/22. Please let me be wrong. I’m driving to South Bend this weekend and I would like to see a decent game…maybe even an upset.

Honestly, I doubt anyone could’ve done any better than CGC with this high-level, elite talent in the powerhouse that is the ACC.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Close to 10 wins? 😂. CGC will probably get his 10th win on 9/10/22. Please let me be wrong. I’m driving to South Bend this weekend and I would like to see a decent game…maybe even an upset.

Honestly, I doubt anyone could’ve done any better than CGC with this high-level, elite talent in the powerhouse that is the ACC.
He wasn't nearly as arrogant as Geoff, but Geoff reminds me of Eddie Haas.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
The closest coach from a whole package standpoint (theatrics, personal marketing, etc.) is Jerry Granville. (The Falcons coach whose ego demanded Brett Favre be traded). Jes’ sayin’
That's a good one. I thought of Eddie because Eddie was a good guy, a player's coach, but totally inept as a manager.

Jmonty71

Banned
At this moment, I am at the why should I care point. Its clear that we have increased ( for now ) recruiting. However; its also clear Collins has little to no football smarts. If he had a shred of intelligence, he would find a new DC and OC, this off season. If I see our coordinators, still coaching, next year, I will be done. I absolutely will not support anything football, until Collins is fired, at that point.