Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

roedeo

Jolly Good Fellow
Assuming we lose the next two, CGC's 9 wins in 36 games will tie Coach Alexander's 7 wins in 28 games 1929-1931.

Well, not quite. We had a couple of tie games in 30 & 31. Plus, Alexander won the National Championship in 1928.

We're living through the worst head coaching 3 yr record in Tech history.
I’ll see your 9 wins in 3 seasons, and raise that to 11 wins in 4 seasons a la B Curry 1980 - 1983. I really hope we’re not having this discussion a year from now.

I was there….and the dwags pinnacle in 1980. And this year feels like déjà vu all over again. Or Groundhog Day. Or …(insert your own phrase here). Ugh

But….I was also there for 1990….

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
As hard as it may be to believe, Thacker has been worse as a LB coach than DC. All of blitzes are from depth, the LBs just dance and juke when they see an OLineman and we tackle like crap
Would you be opposed to letting Thacker go?

I enjoy listening to his press conferences. But the product on the field is embarrassing.

I also have to believe CGC is the one dictating the defensive strategy. He as much said so in his last presser. Could that be one of the reasons the defense is late getting calls in during a game. If Thacker is waiting on CGC to either agree or change the initial call made, then that would be a reason the defense is lost or confused. I have no idea what is being said over the headsets during the game or if CGC has any input during the individual play call during the game. If anyone does it would be interesting to know.

Jetdrive3

Jolly Good Fellow
The money isn’t there for a buyout. Hopefully, the AD will give him some direction and at least one quality former head coach to help him learn how to be a HC. He is a heckuva recruiter. He has a lot of ties to ATL high school football coaches.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Mississippi State fans would trade their baseball success for comprable football success in a New York second. They are far far more invested in whether Mike Leach can beat Ole Miss than their college world series title.
I don’t think that’s true at all. They would all love to beat Ole Miss, but they would not trade their only national title in school history for 1 win against Ole Miss. MSU takes pride in being one of the best baseball schools in the country, and if you’ve ever interacted with them you’d know how much they love the “Dude.” MSU is known for having the best atmosphere in college baseball, their football atmosphere pales in comparison.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
nm

Its be $3M extra plus his 3M for next year. If we were to promote someone to interim maybe, but I think it takes a big donor to pony up at this point. However, given how well we did the last hiring cycle I wouldn’t do that if I were them.
Maybe we could start a GoFundMe page.

VRTechFan

Georgia Tech Fan
You conveniently glossed over the 2016 season. It's a fact that Paul Johnson never had back to back losing seasons here. Collins has done this three years in a row. Collins needs to go or he needs to fire all his assistant coaches.
CPJ has had back-to-back wins many times during his tenure as well!! CgC hasn't had the luxury to boast that accomplishment. Now back-to-back losses....

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Bruce Heppler has the most dominant program in GT sports in the last 2 decades plus. It's not a "revenue" sport like basketball and football, but our men's golf program is easily the most consistent and most dominant program in the last 2 decades plus. No other program has won as much and as consistently as our golf program.

Danny Hall, for all the grief he gets for not having more post season success, his program is the second most dominant program at GT.

Kenny Thorn, our tennis coach, is probably right there with Hall in terms of success at GT.

I'm not familiar with our other "non revenue" sports to make a statement about it, so others can chime in. My point in all of this our most dominant programs have been dominant well before TStan came here, and if TStan were to leave tommorrow, those programs would continue to do well because of coaches TStan was lucky to inherit.

Our Men's basketball team making the tournament wasn't due to some genius manuever by TStan like helping Pastner hire an outstanding recruiter or a top notch assistant. Reveno, one of the best assistants in any sports at GT, was already here. All the players that led our run to the ACCT championship and NCAAT appearance were already here when TStan was hired.

TStan did well with women's basketball convincing Nell Fortner to leave the ESPN booth and return to coaching. She has been a fantastic hire in terms of leadership and coaching acumen...and she can recruit like I wish Pastner could. TStan deserves a lot of credit for hitting home run here.

If CGC turns out to be a dud of a hire (unfortunately, it's trending in that direction), none of that will matter because this will be TStan's biggest albatross unless he finds a coach that will make us all forget CGC. TStan will get to make the next football HC hire because he's earned enough capital with donors and most fans, but if that one turns out to be a dud as well, TStan's days may be numbered. When you're a P5 AD, getting your football program in the right direction is maybe at the top of your responsibilities because the revenue from football funnels down to every other program. Football is the rising tide that lifts all boats in college athletics at the P5 level.
Other than your dislike for Collins and lack of interest in any sport where women compete, what has TStan done that was wrong?

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Where is the next Homer Rice? Hiesman.
Dodd.
Broyles.

Are we now just "clouds without rain"?
Heisman was an established coach at Auburn and Clemson before coming to Tech. Dodd played for General Neyland, probably the greatest football mind of his era. Broyles apprenticed under Dodd.

We found Geoff at a bus station near Philadelphia. No discernible tree or skills. Dan Mullen wasn't impressed when he bolted Mississippi State for a lateral to Florida.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Assuming we lose the next two, CGC's 9 wins in 36 games will tie Coach Alexander's 7 wins in 28 games 1929-1931.

Well, not quite. We had a couple of tie games in 30 & 31. Plus, Alexander won the National Championship in 1928.

We're living through the worst head coaching 3 yr record in Tech history.
You’re discounting the major rebuilding Alexander had following the Heisman disaster which left the cupboard bare. 😊

Bonaire41

Jolly Good Fellow
Would you be opposed to letting Thacker go?

I enjoy listening to his press conferences. But the product on the field is embarrassing.
I have also said that in a post last week that I think Thacker is just a puppet and Collins is pulling the strings. If he don’t let Thacker go this year we all will know the answer then!!!
I also have to believe CGC is the one dictating the defensive strategy. He as much said so in his last presser. Could that be one of the reasons the defense is late getting calls in during a game. If Thacker is waiting on CGC to either agree or change the initial call made, then that would be a reason the defense is lost or confused. I have no idea what is being said over the headsets during the game or if CGC has any input during the individual play call during the game. If anyone does it would be interesting to know.

Bonaire41

Jolly Good Fellow
I said that in a post last week that thacker is the puppet and Collins is pulling all the strings. We will know for sure if he don’t replace him this off-season.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
Other than your dislike for Collins and lack of interest in any sport where women compete, what has TStan done that was wrong?
I personally have issues with the contracts he hands out. Maybe some of that really isn’t him. I had the same issue with D Rad, but Tstan and D Rad are light years better than the moron in the middle.

I think Tstan had a good relationship with CPJ and could have used his help with the coaching search in addition to the committee. Maybe he tried IDK, but CPJ knowing Tech and football in general would have been a good person to bounce names off of. I am not saying to bring in an option coach, just to review the candidates and give an opinion off the record.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I personally have issues with the contracts he hands out. Maybe some of that really isn’t him. I had the same issue with D Rad, but Tstan and D Rad are light years better than the moron in the middle.

I think Tstan had a good relationship with CPJ and could have used his help with the coaching search in addition to the committee. Maybe he tried IDK, but CPJ knowing Tech and football in general would have been a good person to bounce names off of. I am not saying to bring in an option coach, just to review the candidates and give an opinion off the record.
Good points. Do you know that he did not ask Paul for recommendations? What should the assumption be if you do not know either way?

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
would a GT engineer whose design failed the first time use the exact same design 44 more times?
I suppose that depends on whether the engineer thought the design was the fault or the parts used to build the design were the faults.

Personally I feel like the design isn't as good as it needs to be to maximize the parts we have. But worse than that I feel like the design also isn't good enough to maximize any set of parts. Put great parts in our design and I still think it won't be as good as if you put the great parts in a better design.