Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
images

images

images

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Almost all irrelevant to my point. My point is the Heisman's and Dodd's of the world were proven or known before taking the job. Dodd apprenticed under Alexander for decades.

Geoff had almost no experience. About the only thing you can conclude from your post is that Geoff was willing to accept the job. Not the best criteria for extending an offer.

The guy in the ring makes the decision and then accepts the arrows from all of us not in the ring.

Sure seems like tstan did ok in time and $ limit.

Coach Johnson "sudden" departure was not supportive of a smooth transition for the program.

I would have preferred a longer search with a money campaign.

Perhaps the holder of our 200,000,000 interest only debt agreement had something to say about the timing.

For future

Your point about proven track record needs to be applied - we need to get $$$ to round up a name brand dc.

CGC has said he thinks bad performance on defense is hurting our brand.

Do you know any good dc candidates?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
He gave basically the same amount of notice any coach gets when they are fired. he basically gave Tstan the entirety of bowl season to get ahead of other teams that were waiting until after to fire their coach AND coached the bowl game. That's not no notice but aight.
I think that after getting a new contract extension and coaching here for years - he was obligated to give more than minimum notice.

Perhaps coach did not know he would just run out of gas. His coaching in the UVA and Miami game were genius.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
I think that after getting a new contract extension and coaching here for years - he was obligated to give more than minimum notice.

Perhaps coach did not know he would just run out of gas. His coaching in the UVA and Miami game were genius.
And the players would have quit like they did the bowl game?

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
If they can keep their standard MSU "above average but not elite" defense, and use the prospect of "the Air Raid in the SEC" to line up a couple top notch WR's and OT's....man stuff could break their way.

All they need is one year where they lose to Bama, but beat everybody else, and I could see them getting over the line.

Again, PROBABLY not, but for my money, right now, State is the most interesting program in America.

I'd agree, although UTSA is pretty fun to watch right now, too. Them tennis players are good!

I've watched the Mad Pirate's career since 1999 when he was OU's offensive coordinator and I was genuinely worried he might get fired from Wazzu not because of performance but because of something he might say that wouldn't jive with the locals. He's in the best spot for him right now and I watch/root for him wherever he goes. As you said, if they can keep an above-average defense and get a few upper echelon WR's they could pull off a couple 10-2's. The Egg Bowl's gonna be fun this year.

As for us ... I would hope to see some changes on the staff at a minimum; the experiment is just not working.

whitegoldsphinx

Ramblin' Wreck
To be fair, we're not getting blown off the field like we did his first 2 years as often. This year it has only been the Pitt game, although the next 2 games have "ugly" potential. I'm hoping that the team is close enough that a coordinator change can help the defence enough give the team confidence to learn how to win next year. Yes, in spite of some of the odd coaching decisions. 🙄

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Kiffin has done a heck of a job. Much to my surprise.
Matt Corral will make a lot of ordinary coaches look smart...Kiffin did not need that much help on offense to look like a genius but as he acknowledged following the wild Tennessee win, having Corral is always soothing to a coach even one having to dodge golf balls and water bottles among other things.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
These are the NCAA statistics through yesterday. Net is mediocre on offense and horrible on defense. I compared the last year of Johnson and his defense were definitely better. Part of it was clearly the number of possessions in a 3O game. But bottom line is more effective on defense and comparable on offense with fewer possessions. Regardless of the Johnson comparison, we are in the bottom 20% on most defensive categories. With the standard offense we are running, we are locked into 3 wins per year. If there are no coaching changes at the end of this year, Season Tickets and Funding will definitely take a significant hit. I have been a Season Ticket holder for over 20 years and I am debating about next year.

Defense

Total Defense 114 out of 130 (2018 33 out of 129)

3rd Down Conversion Defense 115 out of 130

Passes Intercepted 122 out of 130

Passing Yards Allowed 117 out of 130

Team Sacks 105 out of 130

Team Defense Passing Efficiency 126 out of 130

Scoring Defense 93 out of 100 (2018 64 of 129)

Offense

Total Offense 65 out of 130 (2018 74 out of 130)

3rd Down Conversions 86 out of 130

Passes had intercepted 79 out of 130

Passing 73 out of 130

Sacks Allowed 79 out of 130

Team Passing Efficiency 68 out of 130

Scoring Offense 62 out of 130 (2018 70 out of 129)
If anything, I am surprised the defense rankings are not lower. Offense is pretty mediocre as befits a three win team.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
Thinking more on this this morning, as much as I want to continue playing the game of , will this get better or not ?

I just want to hear from the staff , that they have answers. No dodging questions, no salesman stuff etc .

As others have said, Collins and staff are right on edge of losing the media and fan base completely with another 3 win season, no bowl trip and another UGA blowout. That's not elite

We all know rebuilds take time, but after year 3 seeing out some areas seem to be regressing, that's not a good sign.

Collins cannot ride on same BS he sprews at the media for Much longer. Maybe he just needs to admit that while this is a dream job, coaching at this level is more than he expected.

Animal02

Banned
To be fair, we're not getting blown off the field like we did his first 2 years as often. This year it has only been the Pitt game, although the next 2 games have "ugly" potential. I'm hoping that the team is close enough that a coordinator change can help the defence enough give the team confidence to learn how to win next year. Yes, in spite of some of the odd coaching decisions. 🙄
We aren't getting blown off because our opponents have been nearly as pathetic. Clemson is a shell of it's former self....Miami tried to gift wrap the game for us. VT and BC are hardly powerhouses.

whitegoldsphinx

Ramblin' Wreck
We aren't getting blown off because our opponents have been nearly as pathetic. Clemson is a shell of it's former self....Miami tried to gift wrap the game for us. VT and BC are hardly powerhouses.
Every year, there are 2 or 3 games where the opponent makes enough mistakes for you to win. We weren't good enough to take advantage against Miami, we were against UNC. Rehashing who we should have beat at this point is irrelevant. As frustrating as it is to watch, I feel like we're a decent defense away from being a bowl team next year. Even with bizarre coaching decisions. We'll see.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Not getting blown off the field should not be a point of pride in the ACC with the current state of mediocrity. There are 5 teams in the ACC that, at this late date, are still looking to become bowl eligible including Miami, Virginia Tech, and surprisingly, UNC among a couple of others. Tech and Duke are done.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Every year, there are 2 or 3 games where the opponent makes enough mistakes for you to win. We weren't good enough to take advantage against Miami, we were against UNC. Rehashing who we should have beat at this point is irrelevant. As frustrating as it is to watch, I feel like we're a decent defense away from being a bowl team next year. Even with bizarre coaching decisions. We'll see.
That is one way of looking at it but the problem is that the ACC as a whole may not be as accommodating to opponents next year as it was this year. Watching Miami gift wrap a win for a pretty bad FSU team Saturday was...curious.

whitegoldsphinx

Ramblin' Wreck
Not getting blown off the field should not be a point of pride in the ACC with the current state of mediocrity. There are 5 teams in the ACC that, at this late date, are still looking to become bowl eligible including Miami, Virginia Tech, and surprisingly, UNC among a couple of others. Tech and Duke are done.
It's not a point of pride. It indicates we are somewhat better than past years. No losing 45-0 at home to VT. No blowouts against the likes of Syracuse. I think we are not well coached and need a new DC. But I think we are closer to a Bowl game than what many on this thread think.