Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

RW22

Georgia Tech Fan
Reveno is one of the best big man coaches in the country. He's put a big man on an All ACC team every season he's been here. Ben Lammers was basically a non factor for Brian Gregory, James Banks was an afterthought at Texas, and Wright was a lightly recruited 2 star recruit. All of them became anchors on defense for us, and All ACC big men under his coaching. Reveno may be one of the best assistant coaches GT has hired in any sport.

Tavares was/is a highly respected coach, and a good one. There's a reason why programs wanted to hire him as their HC. He only left us to be a head coach elsewhere.

Bobinski had his faults, but that man was pretty plugged into the college basketball scene. This is one case where the AD helping the HC with hires turned out well.
Fairly certain MBob hired Brohm once he got to Purdue. He hasn't had a stellar record but its much better than where we are at and they have at least had some big wins under him.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Fairly certain MBob hired Brohm once he got to Purdue. He hasn't had a stellar record but its much better than where we are at and they have at least had some big wins under him.

Yes, Sasquatch hired Brohm.

Brohm is a GOOD coach. He's had some tough luck at Purdue do to it being Purdue, but Brohm can coach. I believe I said a few years ago during CPJ's tenure that I would gladly take Brohm for GT.

Brohm can coach with the big boys, as we've seen with his wins against Mich State and Iowa. He's got a talent issue because it's tough to recruit to Purdue, and he's also coaching in the B1G against teams with a more natural recruiting base and bigger state schools.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Perspective is worth something. Not suggesting I have it. Two things can be true. CGC was a good looking hire at the time ... & CGC is not the guy now or ever.

I felt/feel both these things. Much like politics... we (humans) are slow to adjust.
... length of contracts not withstanding.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I don’t know if you seriously think this is a possible approach or if you are just trying to get a response.
It’s all about deciding what to do with money. We all saw how the Hewitt debacle turned out. It basically turned GT hoops into a desert for over a decade. We threw money at an unproven head football coach and look where we are. We could have thrown a lot less money at an unproven head coach and wouldn’t be any worse. We have 3 options -1) pony up and get a proven D1 coach - this won’t happen because we don’t have the money to lure anyone here. 2) hire a retread guy for a lot of money and hope he works out - probably what we will do. 3) spend less and get another unproven young head coach and hope they work out.

My wish would be to get a proven P5 guy like a Chris Peterson type. But that is delusional to believe we can afford anyone like him. I have zero interest in retreads like everyone else does who have been mediocre for decades. Sam Pittman types. There‘s a reason schools likes USC East, Arkansas, etc have been mediocre my entire life. They are too scared to step outside the box. I’d rather troll the young and up and comers and find our Spurrrier than do another Gailey and become a 7 win ceiling program like 60% of schools. The years GT has been good in the modern era is when we took calculated risks- Ross, O’Leary, Johnson.

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow
Perspective is worth something. Not suggesting I have it. Two things can be true. CGC was a good looking hire at the time ... & CGC is not the guy now or ever.

I felt/feel both these things. Much like politics... we (humans) are slow to adjust.
... length of contracts not withstanding.
I think Collins was a good looking hire; and even if he ends up not being the guy, I think he has had value at Tech. He has elevated recruiting, he is a positive ambassador for Tech and he has helped bridge a difficult transition. I think he has one more year to show good progress (which to me doesn't necessarily mean X number of wins) or he will get fired.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I think Collins was a good looking hire; and even if he ends up not being the guy, I think he has had value at Tech. He has elevated recruiting, he is a positive ambassador for Tech and he has helped bridge a difficult transition. I think he has one more year to show good progress (which to me doesn't necessarily mean X number of wins) or he will get fired.

One of the positives with CGC is the perception among our own fanbase that 4 stars and top 50 GA recruits didn't want to come to GT because of our "hurdles". IMO, GT would do even better if we were winning.

I hope CGC can get out of this bad stretch because another rebuild could hurt our recruiting momentum.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
If he changes his OC and DC after this year he would probably buy himself at least two more years to give them a chance. Gets us through year 5 for Collins and better financial situation for a buyout if things are still not showing significant improvement.
He shouldn't have a problem processing his staff. He does it to his players all the time. They know they aren't performing.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
GT defense ranking:

2019 - 89th
2020 - 109th
2021 - 111th

GT wins total:

2019 - 3 Wins
2020 - 3 Wins
2021 - 3 Wins

Amazing progress so far, Coach.
someone should tell him coach you do understand the progress you THINK YOU SEE could be cause the ACC is weaker this year than the past 2 years, Other than Pitt , which beat you worse this year than last year , WF and NC State are the only 3 better this year and you didn't have to play WF and NC State.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
someone should tell him coach you do understand the progress you THINK YOU SEE could be cause the ACC is weaker this year than the past 2 years, Other than Pitt , which beat you worse this year than last year , WF and NC State are the only 3 better this year and you didn't have to play WF and NC State.
Perhaps the team IS better. I know what broke the dam open at Tennessee is when players went public about locker room issues. I'm interested in what our players think.

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow
It’s all about deciding what to do with money. We all saw how the Hewitt debacle turned out. It basically turned GT hoops into a desert for over a decade. We threw money at an unproven head football coach and look where we are. We could have thrown a lot less money at an unproven head coach and wouldn’t be any worse. We have 3 options -1) pony up and get a proven D1 coach - this won’t happen because we don’t have the money to lure anyone here. 2) hire a retread guy for a lot of money and hope he works out - probably what we will do. 3) spend less and get another unproven young head coach and hope they work out.

My wish would be to get a proven P5 guy like a Chris Peterson type. But that is delusional to believe we can afford anyone like him. I have zero interest in retreads like everyone else does who have been mediocre for decades. Sam Pittman types. There‘s a reason schools likes USC East, Arkansas, etc have been mediocre my entire life. They are too scared to step outside the box. I’d rather troll the young and up and comers and find our Spurrrier than do another Gailey and become a 7 win ceiling program like 60% of schools. The years GT has been good in the modern era is when we took calculated risks- Ross, O’Leary, Johnson.
I keep reading where people think we gave Collins this MacDaddy type of contract. We didn't. We are paying him near the bottom of P5 coaches. Yes, it's a lot of money, but in the P5 coaching market, it's basically minimum wage. I also think people are freaking out at the length of the contract. We gave him 7 years, but the buyout steps down significantly after 4 years. After next year (year 4), the buyout is a manageable ($7.2m). Again, that might sound like a lot, but in the P5 coaching market, this is very cheap.

That being said, it is expensive to fire a coach prior to 4 years and it should be. It adds a level of discipline when dealing with a dissatisfied fan base. Could you imagine the state of any football program if you could fire a head coach every two years.

Animal02

Banned
I keep reading where people think we gave Collins this MacDaddy type of contract. We didn't. We are paying him near the bottom of P5 coaches. Yes, it's a lot of money, but in the P5 coaching market, it's basically minimum wage. I also think people are freaking out at the length of the contract. We gave him 7 years, but the buyout steps down significantly after 4 years. After next year (year 4), the buyout is a manageable ($7.2m). Again, that might sound like a lot, but in the P5 coaching market, this is very cheap.

That being said, it is expensive to fire a coach prior to 4 years and it should be. It adds a level of discipline when dealing with a dissatisfied fan base. Could you imagine the state of any football program if you could fire a head coach every two years.
Wrong on pretty much every aspect.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Yes, Sasquatch hired Brohm.

Brohm is a GOOD coach. He's had some tough luck at Purdue do to it being Purdue, but Brohm can coach. I believe I said a few years ago during CPJ's tenure that I would gladly take Brohm for GT.

Brohm can coach with the big boys, as we've seen with his wins against Mich State and Iowa. He's got a talent issue because it's tough to recruit to Purdue, and he's also coaching in the B1G against teams with a more natural recruiting base and bigger state schools.
Purdue has a history of pulling upsets.They have ncaa record for getting wins over a RANKED opponent as an unranked team.-I believe.