Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
As soon as the AD "helps" the HC select an OC he can no longer criticize the offense or hold the HC accountable for their shortcomings. If I am the AD I do not want to give up the leverage my position has over the HC.
What's he conserving his leverage for, his old age? Time to use what leverage he still has left after granting Collins a 7-year contract for something useful.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
. If we ever want to land a big time coach, we need to ensure that we don't have an Athletic Dept. that meddles in the the HC's day to day.... I think that is where you are trying to go with this....
You are delusional if you think we will ever land a big time coach. We will either get a retread or have to go young. I say we keep going young until we hit on one. Just offer them less money so when they they don’t pan out we aren’t in the position we are currently in. Collins would have taken way less to come here. No way he was going to pass up GT to stay at Temple. Plenty of young coaches who would take this job.

Jmonty71

Banned
You are delusional if you think we will ever land a big time coach. We will either get a retread or have to go young. I say we keep going young until we hit on one. Just offer them less money so when they they don’t pan out we aren’t in the position we are currently in. Collins would have taken way less to come here. No way he was going to pass up GT to stay at Temple. Plenty of young coaches who would take this job.
You may be right. But, even a half way decent coach would not want to come to a place that has a toxic system. That is more where I was going.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Pitt sure made a good OC hire in Mark Whipple. He has done a great job with Pickett. Last salary I saw published for him was $475K on the univ of Pitt website. Would hope we could find someone with similar resume. Lots of experience and success in lots of different places. We can pay in that range.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Say I need to hire a welder. They know and I know what the market rate for welders is in the area. Do I offer $15 an hour hoping someone takes it? What kind of person takes a job for under the going rate? What about the hidden costs of turnover if someone takes the job for a day..or week? Is this a strategy or just a roll of the dice in the hopes the next one somehow is better?? Remember, there is no proven strategy for being successful when hiring coaches (outside of having enough money and resources to fish in the very shallow pool of proven winners and give them all the tools that they need). As Coach Johnson says, all of the candidates we talk to for this job "all come highly recommended". I'll pass on this approach personally.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Say I need to hire a welder. They know and I know what the market rate for welders is in the area. Do I offer $15 an hour hoping someone takes it? What kind of person takes a job for under the going rate? What about the hidden costs of turnover if someone takes the job for a day..or week? Is this a strategy or just a roll of the dice in the hopes the next one somehow is better?? Remember, there is no proven strategy for being successful when hiring coaches (outside of having enough money and resources to fish in the very shallow pool of proven winners and give them all the tools that they need). As Coach Johnson says, all of the candidates we talk to for this job "all come highly recommended". I'll pass on this approach personally.
Okay. You need to hire a welder. But I do remember Johnson making the "highly recommended" comment.

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow
I don’t know if you seriously think this is a possible approach or if you are just trying to get a response.

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
I see your point, but Pastner was hired with that understanding.
I have no knowledge as to how this works, but I would expect that it is not unreasonable for an AD to be involved with the second round of DC hires. Seems fair to give the HC a chance with his own people, but if that does not work, also seems fair for an AD to be involved going forward. This all flows up hill. If coaches in the key programs (bball, fball, etc.) for a school keep missing, it ultimately falls on the AD. So if I were an AD, I absolutely would be involved.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I liked LaBarrie, so don't misread this, please. The AD making these hiring decisions shielded the HC from fallout related to misdeeds of an assistant hired by the AD. Hmmm...

At the time we hired Pastner I thought it strange the AD was supervising the hiring of his assistants, but I assumed Pastner understood that would be the case. I betcha his agent made note of this and made sure the AA and NCAA knew LaBarrie was not hired by Pastner.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Trying to understand why ya'll want TStan picking assistant coaches and why y'all think he would know better than Collins. I am sure Stansbury keeps a list of potential head coaching candidates for the future, but I doubt he does the same for assistants. Collins is a lot closer to that situation and surely has a lot more contacts in that world. If a change needs to be made, he will basically let Collins know what we can afford.

A lot of wild ideas going around but @Augusta_Jacket is speaking reason here.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I liked LaBarrie, so don't misread this, please. The AD making these hiring decisions shielded the HC from fallout related to misdeeds of an assistant hired by the AD. Hmmm...

At the time we hired Pastner I thought it strange the AD was supervising the hiring of his assistants, but I assumed Pastner understood that would be the case. I betcha his agent made note of this and made sure the AA and NCAA knew LaBarrie was not hired by Pastner.

It was all a sign that Bobinski never wanted Pastner, but was stuck with him after he struck out with everyone else and Pastner came along wanting to get out of Memphis. It's not a scenario we should be eager to replicate. Pastner has found his way now that he has an AD who trusts him.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Hiring folks like Tavaras Hardy and Reveno are evidence that ADs should not be involved? Ok. Good one.

Reveno is one of the best big man coaches in the country. He's put a big man on an All ACC team every season he's been here. Ben Lammers was basically a non factor for Brian Gregory, James Banks was an afterthought at Texas, and Wright was a lightly recruited 2 star recruit. All of them became anchors on defense for us, and All ACC big men under his coaching. Reveno may be one of the best assistant coaches GT has hired in any sport.

Tavares was/is a highly respected coach, and a good one. There's a reason why programs wanted to hire him as their HC. He only left us to be a head coach elsewhere.

Bobinski had his faults, but that man was pretty plugged into the college basketball scene. This is one case where the AD helping the HC with hires turned out well.